Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

As a DE recreational driver.. how do you know if your ready for a gt3 or RS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 02:40 PM
StockKiller is infamous around these parts
As a DE recreational driver.. how do you know if your ready for a gt3 or RS

its a serious question.. i just test drove a 2010 GT3 RS...
its an awesome car... looks, feel, power...
but how do you know your ready to drive a car like that on the track?
i have a pdk cayman r... i tpc'd it with a turbo and stage 3 suspension kit..
i havent been able to track it because of side effects and repairs.. so i dont have any track time with the car... but it is fixed now so i can test it soon..

but i always wanted a 3... certain people say you might as well go all the way..
i have 3 years of driving experince.. but with a pdk.. i dont want to be a **** out there with an rs... ( it matters to me on a personal level, i am a competitive person.. but im also a level headed, humble driver as well)
a regular 3 i wouldnt worry about what people think..
but i am not that "guy"... im not a look at me kind of guy.. i just want to go out and have fun...
whats the consensus on this...
i know i cant shift properly at this moment.. but i will get eventually, or i will get enough to hang in there..
and its not important for me to go full speed.. i actually want to go a little slower and be smoother... 20 years of motocross and road racing have taught me life long lessons already...
am i overthinking this..

Old 11-06-2012, 04:43 PM
since when did the word k n o b.. become a censored word!

Old 11-06-2012, 05:10 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
I say get the GT3 when you want it. It does not matter if you are a super star on the track. The car is awesome and you will enjoy it no matter what. Who cares if you are a neophyte on the track. I am slow as crap, but I have a great time when I go.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:48 PM
medpilot105 is infamous around these parts
Yes, you're over thinking this. I know because I do the same thing! The driving side of you wants that car. The other side will just have to deal with it. And, if I am anything to go on, the other side of you (the competitive, self-conscious side) will be long forgotten once you no longer merely go for a test drive, but own one. And, hey. If I'm wrong, you can always sell it.

However, if you find yourself staring at pictures of the RS, watching videos from the sidelines of other folks driving their RS (with varying degrees of skill, I might add), and if you can't stop envisioning the car in your head; IT'S TIME.

I did. You should, too.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:22 PM
seapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of light
Gt3

I say go for it. I tracked my 2009 C4S with PDK with local PCA DE events the past 2 seasons (never did this type of driving before).
Through seat time coupled with instruction I have progressed up to an intermediate level with solo approval. Also have been to PSDS school in Alabama, and at local racing schools both at Pacific Raceways and this year Ridge Motorsports park. Enjoyed this so much our friendly Porsche weekend breakfast group starting tracking together and talking about dedicated track cars.
Long story short I got a 07 GT3 in August and have tracked it 4 times on those 2 different tracks. I wanted full time instruction in this car because of the differences in RWD vs AWD; now manual shifting, using my left foot and working on heel-toe proficiency. I have gotten better each and every time and look forward to more improvement. Having a blast. Proper instruction on the track in these "3" cars is money well spent. And the Mezger sound with a center exhaust bypass pipe is intoxicating. Good luck.

Attached Images  

Last edited by seapar; 11-06-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:28 PM
ChrisEVO has a spectacular aura aboutChrisEVO has a spectacular aura about
Yes, you are over thinking it. The fact that you have paused to ask the question signifies to me that you are the type of person who will likely have a healthy respect for the car and its capabilities.

The GT3's are awesome cars. I too had a Cayman before which i tracked except I stopped short of sending my car to TPC. Instead, I chose a fully baked factory engineer car that really only needs tires, pads and fluids to be devastating at the track. Pull the trigger I say

PS: never come to a GT3 forum unless you want to leave with one. It's kinda like asking a bunch of barbers whether you need a haircut

Old 11-07-2012, 07:34 PM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
You know if you are ready for a GT3 if your bank account supports buying a GT3. Life is short. If you have the means, enjoy it.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:50 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
You are ready

Old 11-08-2012, 09:08 AM
thanks for the love guys..
im looking foward to this.. its a surreal moment.. it hasnt sunk in yet...

Old 11-08-2012, 09:08 AM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
You are ready.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:11 AM
ChrisEVO has a spectacular aura aboutChrisEVO has a spectacular aura about
It took 2 weeks after I pulled the trigger for mine to arrive. Bought it sight unseen. I started worrying and wondering if I'd done the right thing. When the car showed up, I turned the key and drove it down the street. It gave me goose bumps and still does to this day. For a jaded car guy, that says a lot about how special these cars are. Please report back after you get it

Old 11-08-2012, 09:24 AM
on the initial test drive.. we were at a red light... everybody was pointing, starring.. rolling windows down.. but the best was a few people were crossing the street in front of the car... its an 8 lane road... they just stopped in front of the car.. jaws dropped for like ten seconds.. the light has already turned green.. i just started laughing...

Old 11-08-2012, 02:06 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Deciding what to switch to I had the opportunity to drive a 997 cup car for the evening, skipped right over the GT3 let alone a RS - now I'm really confused signed up for any events yet?

Old 11-08-2012, 02:49 PM
hlee1169 is infamous around these parts
When I realized I need safety equipments like seat harness and roll bars that are not possible in my cab. As my DE skills improves, I am going faster and need a corresponding upgrade to the safety equipments in the car.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
When you look in the checking account and see that buying one won't make too big a dent!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: As a DE recreational driver.. how do you know if your ready for a gt3 or RS