GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3 Oil filter cap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 09:33 PM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
GT3 Oil filter cap

I just changed the oil for the first time
(dealer did it at 3K) 6K miles. I can not get the frigging filter cap off. Its friggen torqued down to 500 ft lbs!!!!!!. My little graphite filter wrench just belches in dismay!! any clue how to get this puppy off so I can change the element?????
I even tried a C -clamp and it didnt budge!
something so simple is a friggen joke.

TIA

Old 08-16-2005, 09:51 AM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Stupid Pet Trick #1

I figured it out. I followed directions on Renntech.org. I warmed up the car before starting the oil change. I occured to me thi morning the heat might have made the cap expand. I tried it this morning and
Ta-Da!! it came right off.
Lesson learned-loosen cap when cold.

Old 08-16-2005, 07:28 PM
Rolo is on a distinguished road
Perfect timing....I'm about to do mine

Old 08-16-2005, 08:48 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
always warm the oil up to operating temp, if not for the cap...do it so most of the oil drains, which is much more difficult in it's cold viscous form...

Old 08-17-2005, 09:27 AM
I did let the motor come up to temp (ouch when the oil comes out!!) but the filter cap would not budge. the following morning the cap came right off. I guess the best way to do it is slightly loosen the cap, then warm up the motor while paying close attention that you did not loosed the cap TOO much. Drain the oil.
then change the filter. Or warm up the motor- drain the oil --wait an hour or two depending on local ambient temps for motor to cool--THEN try to get the oil filter cap off.
But MY oil filter cap is NOT coming off when the motor is warm or at operating temps-probably by design.

Old 08-17-2005, 01:13 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
I didn't have any problem in getting the filter housing off after the car was warm. Just don't get it up to 180 degrees c. A 3-5 min warm up idle is plenty to get the oil warm while not hot enough to expand. Be careful in loosening the housing and starting the car. You don't want a poddle of oil all over your garage floor, especially if it's bare concrete.

Old 08-18-2005, 03:29 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by OldGuy
I did let the motor come up to temp (ouch when the oil comes out!!) but the filter cap would not budge. the following morning the cap came right off. I guess the best way to do it is slightly loosen the cap, then warm up the motor while paying close attention that you did not loosed the cap TOO much. Drain the oil.
then change the filter. Or warm up the motor- drain the oil --wait an hour or two depending on local ambient temps for motor to cool--THEN try to get the oil filter cap off.
But MY oil filter cap is NOT coming off when the motor is warm or at operating temps-probably by design.
don't tighten the cap so much. The torque figure is quite low...ie 30lb/ft...I think....The renntech instructions have the torque amount. I have never had a problem getting mine off....

Old 08-18-2005, 05:43 PM
Rockit, its 25 newton meters which is about 18 foot pounds.
I DIDNT tighten it in the first place --it was done by the dealer on its first oil change. This was my first time getting it off.

I must say that it was pretty easy(oeverall) compared to a 993 TT though!
thanks to pelican for having all the parts.