GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

991 turbo vs 991 gt3

Old 06-26-2014, 07:48 AM
Leonenglewood is infamous around these partsLeonenglewood is infamous around these parts
991 turbo vs 991 gt3

I had a 2014 991 Turbo cat and love this car. But at the same time I hate the car because I have been through some really nice exotics and this car has no emotion. I have just got out of a McLaren MP12 because I needed to have a daily driver and a fun car all in one. Didn't have the parking room for two cars plus my wife's car. I have placed my order for the GT3 and was just wondering what you guys thought about it as a daily driver I do not go on the track at all. I just want a car that has more emotion and has that nice downshift blurt. The turbo is great because I can put the top down and get some sun but the car is extremely boring. I can always back away from my order I just wanted to get some input from you guys. Will I miss the power from the turbo when I go to a gt3? Is the power that significant? I noticed at the dealership that the GT3 does have a smaller ***. Looks turbo has a wider stance. Let's get some opinions......

Old 06-26-2014, 09:30 AM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Leonenglewood
I had a 2014 991 Turbo cat and love this car. But at the same time I hate the car because I have been through some really nice exotics and this car has no emotion. I have just got out of a McLaren MP12 because I needed to have a daily driver and a fun car all in one. Didn't have the parking room for two cars plus my wife's car. I have placed my order for the GT3 and was just wondering what you guys thought about it as a daily driver I do not go on the track at all. I just want a car that has more emotion and has that nice downshift blurt. The turbo is great because I can put the top down and get some sun but the car is extremely boring. I can always back away from my order I just wanted to get some input from you guys. Will I miss the power from the turbo when I go to a gt3? Is the power that significant? I noticed at the dealership that the GT3 does have a smaller ***. Looks turbo has a wider stance. Let's get some opinions......
I think you will enjoy the GT3 more. It's more of a fun car with the emotion you want. Has a good sound too. And yes the turbo is the widest 911.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:08 AM
porschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant future
Wait for 991 gt3 RS

Old 06-27-2014, 09:08 AM
Nurburg611 will become famous soon enoughNurburg611 will become famous soon enough
Traded in my 997 Turbo cab for a 997.2 GT3. Lots has been written how these cars are very different and cater to different needs. I would say the Turbo cab was most definitely the much better daily driver and a great companion on public roads. I got the GT3 because I wanted to track and it's a horrible DD IMO (991 supposedly better so). However, I never looked back. Too rewarding when the GT3 is where it belongs: the track.

My wife hates it. Bucket seats don't recline, no seat heating, radio sucks, exhaust is way loud (in part because I took out the center muffler), no sunroof, stiff suspension, drama on every driveway because ground clearance is nonexistant. And that's just the short list.

The Turbo is the perfect DD. If I had the money, I'd keep both. If you don't plan to track, I'd personally very much would reconsider trying to master daily routines in a purebred race car. Just my 0.02

Old 06-27-2014, 03:18 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
As a daily driver look into the Boxster GTS also (not joking here). The power is not as much as the 991 turbo or GT3, but man is it a fun car to fling around and it had one of the best exhaust sounds coming from a Porsche.

I am not a fan of Boxster/Cayman at all, but this one hit a spot for me.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:22 AM
enzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond repute
I walked into the dealership to order a GT3 (leon's local dealership, btw). I am currently driving a 13 C2S. I was struggling with the fact that there is no back seat in the GT3. Sometimes, when I want to drive the P-Car to work, I will need to drop two of my kids off at school. Sometimes, I will go directly from work to one off my kid's games, and my wife will leave to put the little one to bed, leaving me with the responsibility to take home one or two of my kids and/or a friend of theirs. But I was prepared to deal with that inconvenience - and it is for me an inconvenience.

When I realized that you can't get ventilated seats in the GT3, I switched to a TT. I often wear a suit to work and have found that the ventilated seats are a must-have if I want to avoid sweating through my shirt. Believe it or not, that was the biggest deciding factor for me. Then combine that with the lack of back seat, AWD vs RWD on tires that do not like rain, knowing I will never take either car to a race track, the choice was easy. I still love the GT3, but it just isn't as good a fit for me as the TT. So I will spend $15k more on the TT and hope I do not regret my decision.

Last edited by enzom; 06-29-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:36 AM
bleek is on a distinguished road
I understand how you can feel like the turbo is a bit sterile. Anytime you can get into a car and go that fast and feel so calm because of it's astounding capabilities in taming and controling that kind of power, it's gotta take away from the thrill.

Then again, the turbo was always more of a GT car. One of the reasons so many turbo cabs are made and sold. It's about refinement and top of the line street motoring.

The GT3 is clearly a different beast, and more focused on the driving experience. If that's what you want, I would say that's the ticket.

I would say the 991 GT3 would be fine as a DD. I have the 997RS and while I would not DD for a number of reasons, it would be totally within reason because of its drivability at street speeds. The 991 with PDK, updated cabin, longer wheel base, etc will make it even more capable as a DD. This also makes the 991 GT3 feel a bit more refined or sterile (depending on perspective) to the 997 GT3/RS. Obviously tons of thoughts on that topic already.

I love the turbo, and one day I will own one in 993 form. For now, I have a 991 4s as my DD and easy cruising car with PDK and the 997 RS for more spirited driving, when I want to work more. Both are fun, but nice to have a choice in feel, because there is surely more of a difference in feel then there is in actual street performance.

I can barely let loose in either of these two cars. The new turbos.........you'll never, ever use the majority of that car's capabilities, and feeling like you're on the limit is what thrill is all about.

Last edited by bleek; 06-29-2014 at 09:39 AM. Reason: correcting bad grammer
Old 06-29-2014, 04:05 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
With 991GT3 being PDK only, I suspect it is very close to 991TT in driving compare to 997 or 996 versions.

I think a 991TT or TTS with some suspension upgrades will be as good as, if not better than 991GT3 as a track car, and for sure a much better daily driver.

If I'm buying now, I don't think I will buy the GT3 version at all. Let's see what the RS version offers.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:53 PM
GMS03 is on a distinguished road
in my opinion, I know some people that own a GT3 as a unique car. but all they are single, except one, that buys an audi S4 and bring the GT3 to his fathers house because he needs more seats and won't sell the GT3.

as a DD the turbo is much comfortable, in my opinion, if I were you, I'll tune the turbo. change the suspension for something more agresive, move to a tinanium exhaust with valves and do a remap to have over 600hp, and if it still feeling too normal, maybe is because you doesn't have a seats that bring you the chance of a pedal to the metal moment.

put a pair of these:

but after all, that's only my opinion.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	GT2SEATNEW.jpg
Views:	1347
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	392713  
Old 07-01-2014, 09:10 AM
Overlake will become famous soon enough
I would not daily drive either car so that decision point is not a part of the tree for me.

GT3 >>> Turbo is my math.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:22 PM
stef430 has a spectacular aura aboutstef430 has a spectacular aura about
I've noted before that Turbo S is a great touring car - not as visceral or fun as my GT3 nor as focused - has 4 seats (sorta) - nice car - not great in terms of anything in particular other than the straight light speed and power numbers that is :-) Had my TTS come in a few months back - did not grab me - with the GT3 and the 991S (via the 50th Anny) I just had no interest. I put over 2k miles on my GT3 and my car is at the port now with the new engine in any day now. I also just sold my 12C; fast as snot but was .... sorry ... boring. I ran 57.5 in the 12C with a passenger at Lime Rock on Corsas (verified by the tower - which is very quick - and I have a track record there in one of the classes so....) but it was really not special.....

Bottom line - get what grabs you - and hold on for the ride.....

Old 07-05-2014, 04:46 AM
exponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to behold
I, personally, would go for GT3. More than enough power and more fun to drive.

But Turbo would fit you better as a DD or long trip. A lot of torque for straight (you ask for DD and will never go to track) and more comfortable suspension set up, more room for children at the back.

Last edited by exponential; 07-05-2014 at 04:51 AM.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:45 AM
Bluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud of
TTS over GT3 for anything other than the track.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:03 PM
nyc123 is a jewel in the roughnyc123 is a jewel in the roughnyc123 is a jewel in the rough
Try a 50 th anni in stick. Best overall package for the street from porsche today

Old 07-07-2014, 01:52 AM
bondshai is on a distinguished road
I never looked back. Too rewarding when the GT3 is where it belongs: the track.