Lamborghini Discussion on the Lamborghini Countach, Diablo, Murciélago, Gallardo, Reventón, Aventador, and new Huracán.

Why are Lambo values falling more than Ferraris'

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 02:18 PM
enginyr is a splendid one to beholdenginyr is a splendid one to beholdenginyr is a splendid one to beholdenginyr is a splendid one to beholdenginyr is a splendid one to beholdenginyr is a splendid one to beholdenginyr is a splendid one to behold
People see list prices thrown out everywhere and think they actually sold for that price.

Ferrari list + $40k
Lambo list - $30k depending on if the dealer is clearing them out.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:48 PM
me&you has a spectacular aura aboutme&you has a spectacular aura aboutme&you has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by enginyr
base model Gallardo's in 04 were 190 and now can be had for 130
Modena's can be had for 100k and retailed for $160k plus the markup (lets say $40k)

F430 list $187k vs $230k actual

Gallardo lost 60k in 5 years = $12k/year + 3.5k per year
Modena lost 100k in 10 years = $10k/year + 5k maintenance per year min

Anyone feel free to move my estimated number around.
You can find many clean 04 Gallardo coupes, in good colors, with eGear for less than $130... but I'll still use it.

For the sake of argument, I think you should be using same year cars. In that case, you should be comparing a 2004 Modena to a 2004 Gallardo, in which case, the Gallardo has lost $60k (though I think it should be closer to $70) and the Modena (market price $145) lost $45k... and that's after accounting for the "market" price for a new car, if you weren't one of the "chosen" who could buy at MSRP. If you're one of those lucky people, you've probably only lost $20k or so in 4 years...

If you want to compare 2005s and therefore the F430, here's where I see the numbers (for my current market, I think I was fair, but I'm sure I'll hear many "oh, there was this one F430, once for $177...) -

2005 Gallardo MSRP $190k, market price $190k, current market - $135
2005 F430 MSRP $190k, market price $230, current market - $180

So if you aren't one of the lucky ones, then it's basically a wash. But, if you are one who can purchase for MSRP, the Ferrari is a much safer bet.

And surely we shouldn't compare depreciation of the LP640 Coupe and 599...

Old 07-29-2008, 02:49 PM
me&you has a spectacular aura aboutme&you has a spectacular aura aboutme&you has a spectacular aura about
People see list prices thrown out everywhere and think they actually sold for that price.

Ferrari list + $40k
Lambo list - $30k depending on if the dealer is clearing them out.
But for every Ferrari that is listed at "market" price, someone paid MSRP... then there's the guys that pay MSRP and don't put the car on the market, and therefore experience very little depreciation.. the trick is becoming one of them!

Last edited by me&you; 07-29-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:03 PM
jojogoya88 is infamous around these parts
base model Gallardo's in 04 were 190 and now can be had for 130
Modena's can be had for 100k and retailed for $160k plus the markup (lets say $40k)

F430 list $187k vs $230k actual

Gallardo lost 60k in 5 years = $12k/year + 3.5k per year
Modena lost 100k in 10 years = $10k/year + 5k maintenance per year min

Anyone feel free to move my estimated number around.

Plus, the modena was introduced in 1999, therefore its only right we compare the 04 modena's to the 04-05 gallardo figures....now what Numbers do you come up with?

YES I AM CHALLENGING YOU!!! lol

Old 07-29-2008, 03:09 PM
norcal2 is infamous around these parts
Base price on an 04 Gallardo Base price, $165900. That is what is on my sticker...

Old 07-29-2008, 03:12 PM
enginyr is a splendid one to beholdenginyr is a splendid one to beholdenginyr is a splendid one to beholdenginyr is a splendid one to beholdenginyr is a splendid one to beholdenginyr is a splendid one to beholdenginyr is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by norcal2
Base price on an 04 Gallardo Base price, $165900. That is what is on my sticker...
But what did they actually sell for?

Old 07-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by jojogoya88
Plus, the modena was introduced in 1999, therefore its only right we compare the 04 modena's to the 04-05 gallardo figures....now what Numbers do you come up with?

In engynir's defense, I understand what he was doing with his comparison, but I don't think it's fair to use different terms for the depreciation and then average the total over those terms. Depreciation occurs at different rates and therefore, you have to use an apples-apples approach and not average different lengths of time...

Old 07-29-2008, 03:17 PM
The "lucky" guy does take a hit. $180k plus sales tax is a nice chunk of change.

He'll never get the sales tax back and I'm not sure if they must buy the car cash but if they did and kept it a year, would loose about $600/month of purely interest at 3.4%.

Probably around $1000 month of pure credit card fee.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:17 PM
norcal2 is infamous around these parts
But what did they actually sell for? Good question, mine was one of the later 04's made, June Prod date, it was sold in Jan 05 so it probably was at a discount as 05's were in also...

Old 07-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by jojogoya88

even an 04 to 04 comparison isn't fair.

You have to average out the depreciation to get any kind of accurate gauge.

There is no challenging. Your a moron

I guess I'll still entertain you

Ferrari : 360
2004 Ferrari 360 Modena 6-Speed, Just Serviced, 6K Mi
Watch this item

$139,890.00
9d

Lamborghini : Gallardo
2004 LAMBROGHINI GALLARDO 6SPD PEARL ORANGE *RARE*(Reserve not met)
Watch this item

14 Bids
$110,100.00
$129,900.00

Old 07-29-2008, 03:30 PM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
btw there is nothing wrong with the 04 or 05 gallardo's. The e-gear was the problem and fixed with an ecu update. Some say the 04's were lighter and less regulated. The newer ones have the lifting option but weighted down the car with hydraulics, slow movement ( i think 30 seconds) and it either leaks or doesn't work all the time. Of course all that is fixed in the newest ones.

Lambo interior is one of the best out there imho. Ferrari still looks like a Lotus interior.
You are obviously EXTREMELY biased, but the Gallardo interior is an Audi interior... nothing more, most of the pieces are pulled out of an Audi parts bin, and this goes with the LP560 as well - just about every car mag out there will agree with this as well - It's still a nice interior but it's not a Lambo interior, you're basically driving in an audi interior and you cannot say otherwise, it's just a fact...

Old 07-30-2008, 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by 996TTDave
You are obviously EXTREMELY biased, but the Gallardo interior is an Audi interior... nothing more, most of the pieces are pulled out of an Audi parts bin, and this goes with the LP560 as well - just about every car mag out there will agree with this as well - It's still a nice interior but it's not a Lambo interior, you're basically driving in an audi interior and you cannot say otherwise, it's just a fact...

I never said some items were from audi. It still doesn't make the car less luxurious.

Lets see some pictures of your "fabulous" interior if you dare?

Old 07-30-2008, 12:35 AM
CrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry but I have to chime in here... Ferrari's have a much better interior than lamborghini's...

Old 07-30-2008, 07:40 AM
The "lucky" guy does take a hit. $180k plus sales tax is a nice chunk of change.

He'll never get the sales tax back and I'm not sure if they must buy the car cash but if they did and kept it a year, would loose about $600/month of purely interest at 3.4%.

Probably around $1000 month of pure credit card fee.
Worst. Argument. Ever.

The taxes and finance method are applicable to ANY car... so, again, it's a wash.

Whether the "lucky"/first buyer of a Ferrari flips the car for "market" price (something a Lambo buyer could only dream of), and therefore swallows the taxes, OR he keeps the car for 2,3,4 years (and suffers less severe depreciation over that time), he still comes out a head of the Lambo guy... This doesn't necessarily reflect the quality or performance of the cars, only the superior ability to Ferrari to manipulate the market.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:39 PM
If the ferrai guys do make a profit, they have to pay taxes and eventually have to get a dealers license if they sell more than a certain amount per year(s).

Again the lambo/ferrai fued continues.

nothing against ferrari's, I think you get so much more from Lambo, for the money.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why are Lambo values falling more than Ferraris'