Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

Anyone have a high mileage Kompressor? 55 AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 01:00 PM
baq
baq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of light
Anyone have a high mileage Kompressor? 55 AMG?

I am considering buying an 03 S55 AMG with about 90K miles. Has a great service history, though Im still VERY worried about maintenance. It had the ABC system / pump replaced at 78K miles amongst other things. I drive allot and I like road trips. I don't service my car at the stealer, I prefer independent mechanics though I understand that some work on this car requires a stealer. I need reliability and overall year round car. I don't beat on cars, I like to enjoy myself once in a while but no burn-outs or doughnuts. It would be my DD, Is this the car for me? or am I digging a hole to dump my money in? please be honest and not biased Thanks.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:57 AM
Marcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond repute
An S55 is a $140k car to maintain, people seem to forget that. People see $20k used pricetags and assume it will be a $20k car to maintain, no. You could easily rack up $20k in bills from repairs and maintenance in a single year. This is not the car for you, I'm sorry to say. I've had a LOT of late model MBs and I have never owned one without warranty. I've had over $10k in WARRANTY work alone on both my 55 and 65, and I barely drive them. E55 has 40k miles and SL has 30k ish. I also only have the best people touch the cars and drive them reasonably gently. -m

Old 04-28-2010, 12:08 PM
Torn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud of
I would say definitely not. Maintenance will and can get very pricey. Marcus nailed it on the head really. I wouldn't buy it if you are worried about the maintenance, since it will probably eat a hole in your pocket.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:16 PM
baq
baq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of light
Well I appreciate your input but I will tell you why I differ. Yes this is a $140,000 car new, I expect it to be built to showcase the best of what the manufacturer has to offer. I expect it to be built better than any car of its class and be the climax of what money can buy, for its "class".
What I cannot understand is, how can it be ridiculously expensive to maintain even when new?! If this is the best the company has to offer, why is it that the introductory model will see the mechanic substantially less and cost a fraction to fix. I think it becomes outrageous to buy from the start. It wouldn't make common sense to spend the money new and buy one, even if it is under warrantee? What purpose is it to spend this much money if it spends its nights at the stealer rather than you garage?
I understand it is packed with gadgets and gizmos. Wouldn't you expect everything to work at that price tag? So its not stupid of me to assume that If this is the best a world renowned luxury car manufacturer has to offer, that things would just, oh I don't know,...work!

just my 2 cents.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Torn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud of
You are absolutely correct, but I guess its not about ALL of their cars having problems, but when a problem does arise or occur, usually the pricetag is fairly hefty. My S class when in the shop (luckily still under warranty) would demand a huge price tag for labor/parts so repairs could be made. I still haven't decided whether or not I will sell the car once warranty comes close to an end. But to each their own I suppose. In your last post you mention how you think when buying a car with such a price tag and such a showcase example of a car, that it should be perfect, but something will go wrong in almost any car sometime or another, and do to the parts/labor required it demands a bigger price which makes sense for such an expensive car anyways. It's not stupid of you to think things will work when paying what these cars are demanding, however you yourself know that maintenance will be a pain especially SINCE you brought up the fact that you were already worried.

" Has a great service history, though Im still VERY worried about maintenance." I mean if that doesn't show your first instinct told you that maintenance will be expensive, idk why you still question how it wouldn't be. I am not fully aware of the '03 model tho, I'm speaking strictly from what I've gone through on my '08.

I do say buy it though, such a great car for the money and you'll love every moment of it! I know I surely love it! Good luck and hope to see some pics of the DD once your decision is made!

Old 04-28-2010, 05:12 PM
baq
I agree with you totally TORN. More than anything I'm frustrated, now that the car is relatively affordable, it's still heart stopping to service. You are right, I am worried about the service from the start because AMG to me is uncharted territory. I think what I will do is wait for either a newer S55 or get a S550 with the AMG package and call it a wrap. There is nothing wrong with 385HP if it's more reliable. no?

Old 04-28-2010, 07:15 PM
I understand what you mean , the values of the cars plummet but maintaining them still remains HIGHLY priced. It truly does suck, but hey at least their values keep plummeting !

Old 05-03-2010, 09:19 PM
IloveSpeed has a spectacular aura aboutIloveSpeed has a spectacular aura aboutIloveSpeed has a spectacular aura about
I hear some people are over 200k and still going strong. Crazy!

Old 05-04-2010, 08:09 AM
Site Sponsor
GMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond repute
Definately get a warranty...