Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

R63 AMG flashed by ECU tuning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 08:10 PM
NWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond repute
R63 AMG flashed by ECU tuning

Unlike my 2007 997TT, there aren't very many tuning options for the AMG 6.3V8, especially an R63 (the AMG ugly duckling). Looked at several tuning companies and ultimately decided to try ECU tuning as they had someone local to me who could do the flash.

They were very professional. Came right on time to pick up the ECU and brought it back the next day.

After allowing the car to adapt for 100 miles, I can say that it definitely picked up 40hp/torque as advertised. When you floor it, the car feels crisper and more eager. In regular traffic, it drives just like stock.

But the most amazing thing, my fuel economy improved by 10% (as advertised). So in about a year or so, the money I save in gas will have paid for the tune lol! This was my justification to my significant other

It's neat to have a +540hp/500 lb/torque 6 passenger minivan!

Thanks ECU Tuning Group!

Attached Images  

Last edited by NWturbo; 10-17-2011 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Patizzle is on a distinguished road
The envy of soccer moms everywhere.

I dig it

Old 10-14-2011, 05:54 PM
NWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond repute
It's a sleeper alright...I can't count how many cars I've "spanked" in it lol.

Originally Posted by Patizzle
The envy of soccer moms everywhere.

I dig it

Old 11-05-2011, 12:17 PM
diononiz will become famous soon enough
Just wanted to check in with you to see how your tune is working out for you? I am considering it for my E63. Has the gas mileage increased by 10% (not a big deal but just curious). Thanks

Old 11-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Yes, the tune is pretty good. No problems thus far. 10% better fuel economy is a side benefit and over a year or two, will help to pay for the tune itself.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Alcav5 is a jewel in the roughAlcav5 is a jewel in the roughAlcav5 is a jewel in the rough
Cool, I had not even thought about asking more from my beast. Can you tell me where you went/ who you used? (What geographic location are you) & how many miles on the R when you flashed it?
I can't imagine it being quicker for it's size....

Old 11-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Wow!! Another R63 owner.....it's like finding a needle in a haystack

I used ECU Tuning Group which is a sponsor on this forum. I am located in West Coast of Canada. I have about 40,000 miles on the R.

The tune can best be described this way:

Driving your 996TT/997TT on a cold day compared to a hot day. It's there - not significantly faster but not insignificant either. Just peppier and more "alive"....

Worth the money when you consider a 10% improvement in fuel consumption.

Other mods I did were BMC filters, lowered with lowering links but by far the best mod: Lightweight wheels in my picture from Tech1 USA (also a sponsor). I can't begin to say enough good things about Mike at Tech1.

Stock 20" wheels are 20x8.5 ET60 (35 lbs/wheel). Mike made some custom 20x9 ET50 wheels which were only 20lbs each and brought the wheels flush with the fenders. This saved me about 60bs of unsprung weight - made a HUGE difference in acceleration and ride comfort.

Originally Posted by Alcav5
Cool, I had not even thought about asking more from my beast. Can you tell me where you went/ who you used? (What geographic location are you) & how many miles on the R when you flashed it?
I can't imagine it being quicker for it's size....

Last edited by NWturbo; 11-05-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Alcav5 is a jewel in the roughAlcav5 is a jewel in the roughAlcav5 is a jewel in the rough
Nice Mike. I like how you described the upgrade - I do know that subtle difference. The mod is something to keep in mind. I have been tracking R vin numbers & sales info since I bought mine & yes they are needles in a hay stack! Almost 2 years & I have a list of only 20. When did you get yours?

Old 11-05-2011, 10:08 PM
I got mine back in 2008. I needed a 6 passenger AWD vehicle and the R63 was the fastest minivan I could find

I think they made less than 100 worldwide in 2007. The R63 was before its time.......

Most people think its the ugliest AMG Mercedes made, and while that "may be true", its because people are comparing it to AMG coupes, convertibles and sedans. However, when you compare it to a Sienna, Odyssey, Quest, Town and Country etc.....then......it's clear that the R63 is really in a league of its own, AND then, you realize that it actually doesn't look half bad.....(for a minivan).

I think this is what the AMG engineers had in mind.....

For what it is, I enjoy the R63 as much as my modded 997TT! The look on some drivers faces....when they can't "bully" the R63...is PRICELESS lol

What color is your R63?

Last edited by NWturbo; 11-05-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:06 PM
kennyjr748 is on a distinguished road
Hey Nam - nice results with the flash! I've still got a factory warranty on our R63... so we won't be flashing it anytime soon. I ended up Star lowering ours... it's better than stock, but not as low as I would have liked. I've been thinking about getting some 21 wheels off the new GL550 for the R63 - my wife likes keeping the car somewhat OEM looking.

Alcav5 - add me to your list. 07 Pewter... just under 33k miles and counting!

Old 11-09-2011, 01:39 AM
Hey Kenny. Good to hear from you. Howz your Gallardo? Yes, the Flash was pretty good.

Star Lowering eh? Nice. Post a pic if you can to see how low you got it.

21" Wheels - they'll look good but they'll be pretty heavy and sap some performance. But for your wife, I'm sure the R63 is plenty

Old 11-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by kennyjr748
Alcav5 - add me to your list. 07 Pewter... just under 33k miles and counting!
Since summer 09 when I was looking I've found/tracked 32 different R63's from "for sale" web sites - From what I've read the US was allocated ~ 33 R63's(?) Therefore that would mean that there are almost none still in the possesion of original owners...Hard for me to believe cause I love my car for what it is and how it performs - I can't imagine better performance (but I may look into it now)

fyi, I recorded seller, location, color, mileage, asking $, when listed & last 10digits of vin. So if you are an orig. owner or bought before ~8/09 I wouldn't have you. If you desire I can check if I have you listed or add you if I do not...

Al

Old 11-09-2011, 06:14 PM
singh ji is on a distinguished road
I got my R 320 CDI tuned from ECU Tuning, now I get 30 mpg .
Love the ride now, does not feel like a diesel anymore

Old 11-09-2011, 06:20 PM
kennyjr748 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Alcav5
Since summer 09 when I was looking I've found/tracked 32 different R63's from "for sale" web sites - From what I've read the US was allocated ~ 33 R63's(?) Therefore that would mean that there are almost none still in the possesion of original owners...Hard for me to believe cause I love my car for what it is and how it performs - I can't imagine better performance (but I may look into it now)

fyi, I recorded seller, location, color, mileage, asking $, when listed & last 10digits of vin. So if you are an orig. owner or bought before ~8/09 I wouldn't have you. If you desire I can check if I have you listed or add you if I do not...

Al
pm sent

Old 11-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Former Vendor
sales@ECU Tuning Group is just really nicesales@ECU Tuning Group is just really nicesales@ECU Tuning Group is just really nicesales@ECU Tuning Group is just really nicesales@ECU Tuning Group is just really nice
Originally Posted by kennyjr748
Hey Nam - nice results with the flash! I've still got a factory warranty on our R63... so we won't be flashing it anytime soon.
Need not worry,the software upgrade is completely undetectable to factory diagnostics. We tune for many corporate dealerships and top shops all over the states.