Mini Cooper Austin and Morris Mini talk, and the 2001-2006 Mini and Mini S, 2007 to present Mini and Mini S

Is the Mini pricing overinflated?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 10:15 AM
Torv is on a distinguished road
Is the Mini pricing overinflated?

I'm looking into a Cooper S as a daily driver. I went in and play around with the options in the miniusa.com website and the most I got was 25K.

After that, out of curiosity, I went into the local dealership to look for a preowned vehicles, in case I can save a bit more money. All I found though, was that the pricing for an 05 Cooper S with 30K miles is at $27K.

Is this the way things are? Marked up for preowned Minis, so the new ones are even more expensive? I'm sure I saw some preowned that was priced at around mid 30's!!

By the way, I know that this is a Mini subforum so bias aside, what are your thoughts regarding 135i vs. Cooper S both MT for a daily?

Thanks!

Old 07-20-2007, 10:42 AM
dzy
dzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond repute
The barebones S version isn't that pricey, the quirk is that extra options have bmw prices, hence cars optioned heavily will cost a bunch. I built a car at the mini website (a bunch of options) and it came out with almost a 40k price tag.
I haven't driven the 135i but it's got a beefier engine than the S, so if it's burning rubber and acceleration you're after, I'd go with the 135.
The S otoh is a great city car, geared a bit bad if it's highway cruising (quite the noise at 80mph) but overall a good commuter car. I use mine for commuting and it's great for switching lanes quick and manoeuvering yourself in heavy traffic.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:01 PM
beaner is on a distinguished road
MINI has had the highest residule value of all cars for some time. i looked at buying a used vedhicle, but it made no sense. i ordered my car new for the same cost of a 1-yr old car. bad news if trying to buy used, great news if purchasing a MINI as a short term car.

Old 07-24-2007, 02:15 AM
Destructo will become famous soon enoughDestructo will become famous soon enough
Torv PM me if your interested i am considering letting my 02' MCS with 60K go.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:23 AM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
Im contemplating about trading my 07MCS for the 135i, or might even just pick one up. Something about small cars and tons of power!

Old 07-26-2007, 09:45 AM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
one of those cars, you are better off getting a new one.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Welcome to the OC, bitch!
trojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant future
Don't think So Cal dealer prices are indicative of the true mini market. You can buy from a private seller at a substantial discount. You can also go to an out of area dealer and get a much better price.

The worst offender from what I've seen so far is Crevier. This is strange to me since they have relatively good deals on their Bimmers.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:12 PM
newport996 will become famous soon enoughnewport996 will become famous soon enough
Yes Crevier was horrible....yet Universal Mini has some nice cars...I drove a black S with rims and it was well optioned and it was in the 23k range....It had 20k miles on it and it was an 04...they also have a Works S for 26, and it was an 04. Those were asking prices.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:28 PM
Danamax is on a distinguished road
I help out at Crevier on a part time basis [in the business since 1988 managing market leading dealers, now retired].

Hmmm. These negative statements are quite a surprise. I think these are opinions of the few...or the two.
Crevier has been consistantly in the top 3 Volume MINI dealers in the Nation. They are currently #2 in the Nation as I write this. How do they achieve that if they are so "horrible"? The extra perks Crevier provides for their clients as well as the relationship the clients develope with the long term professional staff, help set the dealership apart. They deal with a sophisticated and affluent clientele that demand top notch service, and Crevier does what it takes to provide it! Pricing must be competetive to succeed...and in no uncertain terms, they are succeeding!

Last edited by Danamax; 08-05-2007 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:41 PM
newport996 will become famous soon enoughnewport996 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Danamax
I help out at Crevier on a part time basis [in the business since 1988 managing market leading dealers, now retired].

Hmmm. These negative statements are quite a surprise. I think these are opinions of the few...or the two.
Crevier has been consistantly in the top 3 Volume MINI dealers in the Nation. They are currently #2 in the Nation as I write this. How do they achieve that if they are so "horrible"? The extra perks Crevier provides for their clients as well as the relationship the clients develope with the long term professional staff, help set the dealership apart. They deal with a sophisticated and affluent clientele that demand top notch service, and Crevier does what it takes to provide it! Pricing must be competetive to succeed...and in no uncertain terms, they are succeeding!
New cars. not used.....maybe they price the used cars so high so that it makes more sense to buy new....I walked away, never to do business with them.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:04 PM
'Would have liked to have met you. Perhaps your perception would have been different. One thing is for sure...you would have loved my test drive!!!!
Anyway, I'm just a fellow enthusiast enjoying 6speed'. I just couldn't ignore this thread.

Last edited by Danamax; 08-06-2007 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by Danamax
'Would have liked to have met you. Perhaps your perception would have been different. One thing is for sure...you would have loved my test drive!!!!
Anyway, I'm just a fellow enthusiast enjoying 6speed'. I just couldn't ignore this thread.

No prob...maybe things are different, this was last summer. I am in the market again now and I ruled out Crevier because of my experience with them last summer. The car I looked at was overpriced, and was not in great shape at all...worn leather, peeling switches, etc...My wife wouldnt even test drive the car, she refused because of the condition, we would never have bought it. I went to Universal Mini and had a COMPLETELY different experience. Better selection, better pricing.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:16 AM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
My father and I were at Crevier last year, looking at pre-owned Z4s. The car was for my father and my father is close to 80 years old, he dosent look like it, but moves like it. Didnt even offer to take a golfcart or anything, or offer to drive us to the pre-owned lot. So that was a minus in the service. Drove a few Zs, the sales person didnt want to open up the third car to test drive. I felt that we were waisting his time instead of ours. Was very pushy and wanted us to sit and make a deal already, but it was that third car that we wanted and never got to drive it. Also he picked up his phone in the middle of a conversation and spoke for more than 20 minutes on it. I was really ticked at this time. We left and bought from Irvine cause they gave my father the time he needed to choose the car that he wanted. Ended up being a two car deal, cause I picked one up as well.

Im in the business as well. I take my time with all my clients, especially since I deal with CEOs and CFOs most of the time. Sometimes the sales are very quick (less than 1 hour), they know what they want and what to pay for it, or we even test drive up to 10 different cars (this can take a whole day).

I dont understand how impatient these floor salespeople can be. I get a bunch of looky loos as well, but they come back when you give them the time and experience that they deserve. The sale is never done till they drive off with the car. Whats the rush?

My boss and I do atleast 250 cars a year. 300 if we dont go on vacation.

Last edited by adybuncio; 08-08-2007 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Exclamation

Crevier BMW is always in the top 2 positions Nationally in volume new car sales and #1 in Certified Pre-Owned Sales the last 4 months in a row. As mentioned before, Crevier MINI ended July as #2 in the Nation.

Note to those viewing this thread:
Our clients are an intelligent, affluent crowd who set high demands on themselves and the level of service provided them. If we sold junk with "inflated pricing" as '996 is suggesting, and didn't attend to our clients needs at their pace on a higher professional level than our competition, our doors would be boarded up.

While no business is perfect...I find it interesting that newport996 has invested such an effort in this thread. Could there be a hidden agenda?!? This we'll never know for sure...

Last edited by Danamax; 08-08-2007 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:24 PM
Now I have an agenda.....ok my agenda NOW is to tell my FULL experience with Crevier...when looking at BMWs they were high pressure and tried to push me into a 5 series at a price that was above what others were selling cars for, and my wifes friend was ripped off on her X5 lease....she bought the car at the end of her lease, and they were sooo happy to charge her like 10k OVER market value if she only bought an extended warranty....I WONT do business with Crevier....Thats my Agenda....I will also not do business with Newport Auto Center and they have a very affluent (MORE SO THAN CREVIER) customer base. Same goes for Fletcher Jones Mercedes....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is the Mini pricing overinflated?