Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

Is brake service really $7400???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 08:31 AM
BlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to behold
Is brake service really $7400???

Im considering a GT-R someday soon but can believe what I read in Automobile magazine....they reported servicing the brakes (pads, rotors, etc) for a whopping 7400 dollars. Now I know theses cars are not cheap to take care of, and i dont think these were ceramics either. Even my Porsche doesnt come close (recent brake job around 1200.) Can this be correct?

Old 04-29-2010, 11:42 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I've been quoted approx $6k for a complete brake job.

It comes down to about $3k for rotors, $1k for pads, brake fluid flush, and apparently a GT-R taxed labor unit.

I haven't figured this out, and since these components of the brake system is NOT covered under anybody's warranty (please tell me other wise, and I'll buy my next track car), most of the owners have been going aftermarket to get superior components for $$$ less.

One can get rotors for about $1k per axle, and pads for $500 for all 4 corners.

Besides if one is changing rotors and pads THAT much, he/she may want to consider purchasing the CC brakes from AP Racing ($15k).

Old 04-29-2010, 11:44 AM
rcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BlueFVD-575
Im considering a GT-R someday soon but can believe what I read in Automobile magazine....they reported servicing the brakes (pads, rotors, etc) for a whopping 7400 dollars. Now I know theses cars are not cheap to take care of, and i dont think these were ceramics either. Even my Porsche doesnt come close (recent brake job around 1200.) Can this be correct?
Thats the "bend over price"! Overly exaggerated. If using OEM Brembo rotors, pads, and install it will be around $4500.00.

Now if you use aftermarket rotors and pads ie AP rotors, carbotech pads or others, which are much better than OEM stuff, then you are looking at around $3500 to $3700.00 with install.

Changing rotors and pads are all gonna depend on how much you track your GT-R, just like tracking a Porsche.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:45 PM
BlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to behold
Still a bit more than a Porsche, but not as bad as i thought....thx for the info

Old 04-29-2010, 02:48 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
and with the car's weight they must not last long if tracked or driven hard??

Old 04-29-2010, 06:28 PM
Kevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the rough
I had been looking for one of these for about 2 months, and then a few weeks ago read that long term wrap up as well and it scared the crap out of me. I spoke to my local dealership and he quoted me about $5,500 for the full job. I also read a lot about after market products that are much better for much less as above posters have said. I went ahead and pulled the trigger today and bought a 2009, so that article didn't sway my decision too much.

Gotta pay to play!!!

Old 04-30-2010, 04:29 AM
Originally Posted by Kevinw23
I had been looking for one of these for about 2 months, and then a few weeks ago read that long term wrap up as well and it scared the crap out of me. I spoke to my local dealership and he quoted me about $5,500 for the full job. I also read a lot about after market products that are much better for much less as above posters have said. I went ahead and pulled the trigger today and bought a 2009, so that article didn't sway my decision too much.

Gotta pay to play!!!

Kevin...are you coming out of a 996TT? Im curious to hear your experiences in both.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:42 AM
rcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Kevinw23

Gotta pay to play!!!
Kevin! U are gonna need an exhaust for that bad boy!

Old 04-30-2010, 06:46 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
and with the car's weight they must not last long if tracked or driven hard??
Anywhere between 4 - 8 track days depending on driver/course.

I'm still on stock rears (haven't changed 'em), but I'm about to change to my third set of pads (still on front AP rotors). So now that I've upgraded the rotors, the pads (only $300) aren't that big of a deal.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by BlueFVD-575
Still a bit more than a Porsche, but not as bad as i thought....thx for the info
Yes, it certainly is... But for shorter stopping distance than the Porsche, something is going to cost more.

15" rotors aren't exactly cheap, no matter what kind of car.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Yes, it certainly is... But for shorter stopping distance than the Porsche, something is going to cost more.

15" rotors aren't exactly cheap, no matter what kind of car.
True. I just had my Brembos resurfaced, but not replaced. Im sure replacement would be a few thousand.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:05 PM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
Avi, I sent you a PM...

Old 04-30-2010, 06:22 PM
PCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to behold
As a daily driver, what is the life expectancy of the oem brakes on the car?

Old 04-30-2010, 08:27 PM
Approx 18,000 miles (according to the manual).

Old 04-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Banned
Skylin818 has a spectacular aura aboutSkylin818 has a spectacular aura about
Calipers are $1300 each
Brembo pads all around = $800
Each rotor is $1300 each

its a very simple replacement to do but look into the AP rotors and also there is a company in japan called BIOT and also PAGID also offers brake pads.

Think that is bad look at the Option for the spec V brake rotor and pad replacement.

NISSAN CARBON CERAMIC BRAKE (NCCB)

$40,000

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is brake service really $7400???