Driving advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 07:04 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
Driving advice

okay guys, need some advice here. i'm learning a ton from you all and i appreciate all the info that you have.

i've not yet enrolled in a driving class, but i plan on it in the spring time. then, i won't have to bug you with so many questions. i just want to be sure that i'm driving the car correctly and not hurting her! lol!

i've read many different opinions on 6 about downshifting to slow down and also what rpm's one should shift at.

when you guys are slowing down, or taking a corner, do you not downshift to slow down? or do you just use your breaks?

also, i know it's probably different for each car or a car with mods, but what are the "normal" rpms one should shift at? i guess i don't want to be over revving the engine and shifting with the rpms too high.

thank you in advance. you can send me your bill.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:06 PM
TT Tommy is on a distinguished road
BG,

You use the brakes to slow down.

Don't use the gearbox to slow down!!

Downshifting is used for keeping the revs in the power band when negotiating a corner or other similar situations.

There is an art to proper downshifting.

Heel toe is the norm while braking at the same time.

Lots of practice to get it right. Pedals must be set up properly.

The right shoes are important too.

(Oh boy!! an excuse to buy shoes!!)

A proper downshift FEELS GOOD

tw

Old 12-01-2007, 08:07 PM
mitchelrl is on a distinguished road
I always downshift for corners and to slow down (some times it's just not an option in traffic though, I'll only heel/toe if I'm going like a bat out of hell.

If I'm driving casually, I'll usually shift at around 4,000-4,500 RPM's

When tracking your car, compression braking has to be important so you experience as little brake fade as possible.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:09 PM
mitchelrl is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TT Tommy
BG,

Downshifting is used for keeping the revs in the power band when negotiating a corner or other similar situations.

tw

Uhhhh... It's VERY common to compression brake a car with a manual transmission. You'll prolong the life of your brakes by learning how to rev match in real world conditions as well as on the track.

I always do. My brakes and clutch have around 50,000 miles on them and I can stop pretty damn well (suspension helps that too)

Old 12-01-2007, 08:11 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
lol....i bought 3 pairs of driving shoes. just so i can be sure and look good while practicing heel/toe. hehe! is this what they call "POSERRR"!? haha! maybe it's just a chick thing. can't be caught wearing the SAME shoes every time! pink/white for spring/summer...black for winter.....and well, the other ones because they were cute!

well, maybe not. i do drive, rally, autoX. so maybe i'm just a slight poser. i've GOT to perfect it...dang it! i know i can...i know i can!

Old 12-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by mitchelrl
Uhhhh... It's VERY common to compression brake a car with a manual transmission. You'll prolong the life of your brakes by learning how to rev match in real world conditions as well as on the track.

I always do. My brakes and clutch have around 50,000 miles on them and I can stop pretty damn well (suspension helps that too)
No

Don't do this.

Preserve your gearbox. Brakes are cheap

Old 12-01-2007, 08:29 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Rev matching is not compression braking. I agree with TT tommy that you should not use the engine to slow down. I don't know anyone at the track who doesn't heel-toe. At the porsche schools in Birmingham and skippy, the emphasis was always on rev matching to avoid upsetting the balance of the car and to not abuse the transmission (of course at skippy, you had no choice than to rev match).

Old 12-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by seattle_sun
Rev matching is not compression braking. I agree with TT tommy that you should not use the engine to slow down. I don't know anyone at the track who doesn't heel-toe. At the porsche schools in Birmingham and skippy, the emphasis was always on rev matching to avoid upsetting the balance of the car and to not abuse the transmission (of course at skippy, you had no choice than to rev match).

ahhh yes skippy school. Really good

They even teach you to double clutch

good instructors

tw

Old 12-01-2007, 08:33 PM
i need to find a driving school that offers one on one instruction in our area. i'll be taking the PCA group DE in the spring, but i wonder if they offer single instruction at the autoX track or PR.

eventually, i'll head down to skippy's school. till then, i'll need to find something local.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:38 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
The PCA is a mixed bag. I would skip the PCA and do the days with Proformance racing school. Todd and JR are excellent instructors. It does get expensive, I think 300/day and extra 100 for the instructor (1 hour). Skip Barber is excellent and gives a great course. They have a 3 day at Laguna Seca.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:42 PM
The PCA is a mixed bag. I would skip the PCA and do the days with Proformance racing school. Todd and JR are excellent instructors. It does get expensive, I think 300/day and extra 100 for the instructor (1 hour). Skip Barber is excellent and gives a great course. They have a 3 day at Laguna Seca.

yep, pj suggested PR as well. it does get a little spendy, but i guess i'll think of it as an investment. i'd rather spend the $400 (instructor included) for a day of instruction than spend thousands of $'s on clutches, transmissions, etc. the thing is, i'm VERY comfortable with my car and the way I drive it.

I know I already have bad habits and I would like to correct them. Plus, I'd like to learn anything else new before I cement myself into more bad habits. I'll think of my boxster as my "guinea pig". by the time i get a diff. p-car, i'll have all the correct techniques down.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:46 PM
Poor boxster....

Old 12-01-2007, 08:50 PM
Poor boxster....
lol! she's pretty spoiled. that's why i ask....before i do! haha! i try not to abuse my "baby" too badly. so far, i don't think i've done anything too bad.

i keep asking some of the local 6speed guys if i can practice with their gt3's and tt's, but for SOME reason, they don't want me to! you got me! hehe! plus, when they ride with me they always want to borrow my helmet! when i go in the back and offer my pink icon helmet...they decline. lol!

Last edited by BoxsterGirlie01; 12-01-2007 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:53 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Tommy
BG,

tw
+1

TT and Mr. Sun have it right.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by BoxsterGirlie01
lol! she's pretty spoiled. that's why i ask....before i do! haha! i try not to abuse my "baby" too badly. so far, i don't think i've done anything too bad.

i keep asking some of the local 6speed guys if i can practice with their gt3's and tt's, but for SOME reason, they don't want me to! you got me! hehe! plus, when they've ride with me when i drive, they always want to borrow my helmet! when i go in the back and offer my pink icon helmet...they decline. lol!

BG,

You're allright

tw

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Driving advice