Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM fails again... 14 days out of service in 6 weeks since delivery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 05:57 PM
dhh
dhh has a spectacular aura aboutdhh has a spectacular aura about
PCM fails again... 15 days out of service in 6 weeks since delivery- Resolved!

Ok - so my other posts said all my PCM issues were resolved. I was incorrect. Today the telephone function on the PCM became non-functional. I am now up to 4 or 5 replaced PCM's. It's back at the dealer again.

I am counting up the days out of service and getting ready to write Porsche a letter. It appears there are some known serious reliability problems with the PCM and the interface with the car - not necessarily he PCM itself but the signals receives from the car are causing the features to be deleted.

I am just really disappointed with the quality of this car - I love the car but fear it is not reliable enough to be the 15k mile per year daily driver.

Last edited by dhh; 10-07-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:08 PM
cfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by dhh
Ok - so my other posts said all my PCM issues were resolved. I was incorrect. Today the telephone function on the PCM became non-functional. I am now up to 4 or 5 replaced PCM's. It's back at the dealer again.

I am counting up the days out of service and getting ready to write Porsche a letter. It appears there are some known serious reliability problems with the PCM and the interface with the car - not necessarily he PCM itself but the signals receives from the car are causing the features to be deleted.

I am just really disappointed with the quality of this car - I love the car but fear it is not reliable enough to be the 15k mile per year daily driver.
How is the Lemon Law there in your state? I have had no issues with my 2010 P4S. I don't have ANY faith in Porsche USA, they have let me down repeatedly! Sorry to hear of your whoas as I see all your posts!!

Old 10-05-2010, 06:25 PM
dhh
I just read the Lemon Law for Michigan - it looks like after 3 or 4 recurrences of the same issue it can be invoked.

I will see how this plays out but fear I will become far more familiar with the Lemon Law soon..

Old 10-05-2010, 07:32 PM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
Sucks to hear. Lemon law that sucker. Good luck!

Old 10-06-2010, 08:59 AM
JBONDOx is on a distinguished road
just seen the CVN69, was attached to that battle group in early 90's

anyways, are you sure your techs know what they are doing there? I bet they didn't add the correct phone code... or didn't add it in general.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:46 AM
dhh
Actually - I have Harman Becker involved through a mutual friend with their NA Presisident leading the charge. I think there are a number of issues at play from defective equipment to dealer error. Ultimately it appears there is a known issue with the car interface (BUS) sending erroneous signals to the head unit to validate all the codes. This has been described to me by a few different people.

We'll see how this plays out.

As for the "IKE" I was fortunate enough a few years ago to spend a few days on the carrier and was able to experience an arrested landing on the carried and a catapult launch off the carrier.

It is the least I can do by showing my support for our troops. I have a big "I Like IKE" sticker on my car too.

While I worry about my PCM they are in harms way and sacrifice daily. They miss holidays, births, deaths..etc... In the scheme of things this isn't that important compared to the commitment our armed service members have made and we must remember that daily.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:05 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
PCM hates the Movado clock sitting above it. Remove the clock and it will start behaving again.

Nothing scientific, just pure jealousy.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:01 PM
The Ike was pretty nice, I have some pics of it going through the suez in 90 for desert shield, we also snuck the carrier into the Med earlier that year, and probably freaked out the russians... where did it go???

anyways, the VIN is coming from the cluster for the PCM, and I highly doubt that it is anything external to the PCM which is causing problems. If the tech screwed one digit up, then the whole thing will be messed up, which is what I think after 5 units, from your prior posts.

I don't think that it was thoroughly though out in training them about the PCM.

I'd still like to be hooked up with the harman guy!

anyways, the way around it, which is how I have handled it in the past, is to mask the VIN at the cluster with a CAN filter, then tell it is a fully loaded Cayenne which we have all the enabling codes for problem solved... until there is an update, which means the filter has to be tweaked and re-written.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:25 PM
IloveSpeed has a spectacular aura aboutIloveSpeed has a spectacular aura aboutIloveSpeed has a spectacular aura about
Lemon!

Old 10-07-2010, 07:43 PM
dhh
Well...I git the car back today. Day 15. It appears that the unit was being programmed incorrectly - actually the units that the dealer took from other cars had no way to clear the original VIN# although on their screen it appeared that the new VIN was entered.

The dealer dropped it off at my house tonight and we'll see how it lasts. Hopefully I will never again learn about PCM's, bus's, submasking Vin's and a whole bunch of other stuff.

The dealer was great but I think they got very little help from Porsche until I started stirring the pot with the Harman guys stalking them.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Richfield is on a distinguished road
So my story is that the PCM completely forgot that an XM Radio was installed in the car. The dealer came back to me after one service call with a recommendation for a head unit replacement. They had me back in about one week and did the replacement. No problems since then. All is good.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:19 AM
cfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by dhh
Well...I git the car back today. Day 15. It appears that the unit was being programmed incorrectly - actually the units that the dealer took from other cars had no way to clear the original VIN# although on their screen it appeared that the new VIN was entered.

The dealer dropped it off at my house tonight and we'll see how it lasts. Hopefully I will never again learn about PCM's, bus's, submasking Vin's and a whole bunch of other stuff.

The dealer was great but I think they got very little help from Porsche until I started stirring the pot with the Harman guys stalking them.
Sounds like they should have just made you wait a bit and get a "Fresh" one from Germany instead of yanking them from other cars?! Hope the other cars are not now screwed up. Hopefully this fixes your problem so you can forget the PCM and enjoy the drive

Old 10-08-2010, 08:33 AM
I was also thinking that there has to be a way for them to QA them on the assy line... would love to know what they do there... no more VIN needed

I will give it 2 more days... if all is fine 72 hours after you get it back then you should be good. Well until the next software update

Old 10-08-2010, 12:09 PM
dhh
They have a software update they want ot do to it next week Thursday - I wonder if i should skip it if all is fine. The enemey of good ...is better.

So far so good

Old 10-08-2010, 01:07 PM
I would skip for sure, or until the next major service.

If this was Vegas... I'd bet that it isn't fixed... we still have 2 days left right?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PCM fails again... 14 days out of service in 6 weeks since delivery