Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tinting of windows / any issues ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 03:56 PM
j080808 is on a distinguished road
Anyone take issue with the "frit" or those little black dots around the edge(s) not allowing the tint to properly adhere and thus leaving a white looking ring or area?

I have seen a couple pics of a Panamera with the rear window white ring that looks terrible. I know you can use glue in those areas and/or sand down the dots and/or use black vinyl and/or paint them, but would like to know what others have done if anything.

I was at my local installers who had just completed a 997 Turbo S and the rear quarter windows looked terrible around the outside edge. I know once it dried out, it could be pushed down to look a little better but...

I have always had tinted windows (usually done when the clear bra is done) and its killing me to not have it on this car.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:41 PM
hummerchine is on a distinguished road
Just get the thermal and noise reducing, break resistant glass from Porsche. It might not be tinted quite as dark as you like, but it has none of the drawbacks mentioned along with some HUGE advantages...and it's totally awesome. I love it.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:51 PM
CT Audi Fan has a spectacular aura aboutCT Audi Fan has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by hummerchine
Just get the thermal and noise reducing, break resistant glass from Porsche. It might not be tinted quite as dark as you like, but it has none of the drawbacks mentioned along with some HUGE advantages...and it's totally awesome. I love it.
Hummerchine, something I've always been curious about. Since you have the thermal glass, you may not be able to answer, but from what I've heard here and read elsewhere, there isn't a lot of engine noise in the cabin to begin with ... do you feel like the thermal/noise insulating glass makes that appreciably worse?

Old 02-07-2012, 01:53 PM
hummerchine is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately I have no way to answer that, since I've never had a Panamera without the thermal glass for comparison. With the sport exhaust the engine sounds awesome, but at times I do wish I could hear it more. But I hear people say the same thing without the thermal glass. That sound thingy in the GTS was clearly designed for just that purpose; that combined with the thermal glass would be ideal!

I like the glass mainly because the car does not get so hot in the sun, and I've had a car broken into before. Anything to make that harder is good! I'm an avid rock climber and park places where cars do get windows broken out; not that the thermal glass would prevent anyone from trying, or even succeeding with enough effort...but I still like the idea of surprising a criminal by making it hard to break in!

Old 02-11-2012, 08:54 AM
painguy is on a distinguished road
where to get felt and tint?

Anyone in chicagoland have a place that will do tint and felt liners? I called about 4 places and none of them will do the felt, however they all say its not required. I will go with the experiences on this forum and go with the felt.

Just bought a 2011 Panamera 4 yesterday, White on black. Mods to come

Fabspeed exhaust
fabspeed intake
20 turbo wheels
window tint if i ever find someone to do it.

Then enjoy the Milage i am gonna get!

thanks

Old 02-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Brane Dead is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by painguy
Anyone in chicagoland have a place that will do tint and felt liners? I called about 4 places and none of them will do the felt, however they all say its not required. I will go with the experiences on this forum and go with the felt.

Fabspeed exhaust
fabspeed intake
20 turbo wheels

thanks
Absolutely have the felt strips installed w/ window tint. My dealer had someone come into the dealership to do the install - assured me he knew what he was doing, had done several other Panameras, etc. All four windows now have scratches. It will be something I address the next time the car goes back in for service (post-winter). FWIW, I'm in Chicago, too.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:00 PM
sheff528 is on a distinguished road
I had the tint added at the dealer and have had no issues at all. I asked about the felt prior, and the installer said he's never done that and never had problems. So far (5 months), he's been right and I've been fine.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:54 PM
versailles is an unknown quantity at this point
I have formula One on mine no issues. Specialty series on the windshield and Pinnacle on the rest.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:27 PM
j080808 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by painguy

Fabspeed exhaust
fabspeed intake
20 turbo wheels

thanks
Let us know how the Fabspeed goes, I am going to do this in the spring.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:17 PM
chiguy79 is on a distinguished road
I have a Huper Optik quote for $270, sounds good, think I am going to go that route with HO 30%.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:30 AM
Precision is on a distinguished road
Anyone know where to get the felt strips?

Old 04-26-2012, 01:51 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Precision
Anyone know where to get the felt strips?
Any good tint installer will have these and it's included in the installation price. If they don't have them, find another installer that knows what they are doing.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:56 PM
ENVē is a jewel in the roughENVē is a jewel in the roughENVē is a jewel in the rough
My shop puts felt strips on every new car for this reason alone. Good luck on retinting

Old 04-26-2012, 06:41 PM
PCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to behold
Can someone please elaborate as to where the felt goes. Mine is starting to scratch also

Old 05-09-2012, 01:02 AM
Basic Sponsor
Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !
This is correct. There are certain models that require a liner to be installed over the plastic molding that ends up scratching the tint overtime.

In addition, it is also a good idea to go for a high heat rejecting window film that does not utilize any metals that will affect wireless signals such as am/fm, keyless entry, etc.

This is what we use

- 98.5% of IR blockage even at just 65% vlt (visible light transmission)

http://www.prestige-films.com/auto_photosync.shtml

Here's our own test:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3539003

Sharing our Passion on Youtube: https://urlgeni.us/youtube/Premier

Facebook: https://urlgeni.us/facebook/Premier

42630 Christy St, Fremont, CA. 510-623-1308 sales@premiermobilegroup.com

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tinting of windows / any issues ???