Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tinting of windows / any issues ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 07:24 AM
RobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of light
Question Tinting of windows / any issues ???

So I call the dealer (service department) to get a price on tinting the windows (I called 3 of them) and ALL of them said the exact same thing.

They would prefer not to do it because they are having issues with the tint scratching due to the windows and weathering striping being very very tight when the windows go up and down.

One of the service advisors also stated that if I go and have it done by someone besides the porsche dealership to be very careful with the type of tint material used because it will could cause an issue with the radio signal. NOW that is crazy.

Has anyone had issues with either the tint on the windows scratching or an issue with the radio signal ???

Last edited by RobertM; 07-22-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:58 AM
cvprez will become famous soon enough
Radio not an issue, but my tint is getting scratched (primarily driver's window) from rolling it up and down. I believe there have been several other posts that elude to this as well.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:22 AM
dhh
dhh has a spectacular aura aboutdhh has a spectacular aura about
I tinted mine last week - all windows are all scratched up and removing it next week.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:05 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
You have to remove the doors first and add felt in order for the tint not to scratch. I had mine done with 3M tint with felt added to the weather strips. No scratch issues what so ever. Like all mods, you need to get it done by shops that know how to work on these cars.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:45 PM
JCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to behold
yes, my tint shop in LA said that a lot of people are screwing these up...a felt liner needs to be put on each window and that prevents scratching...mine are scratch-free and have been tinted since the day I got it, 5.5 months ago.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:56 PM
mvera339 is on a distinguished road
how much are you guys paying for this kind of work?

Old 07-23-2011, 11:13 PM
mob7988 is on a distinguished road
Got all 5 windows done little over a month ago with felt liner for $175 (california tint, rosemead ca...they had good reviews but negative feedback is they are very busy). I didn't lower any windows for almost 3 weeks and when I did, got streaks on inside front windows from glue on felt!...

I haven't taken it back because I don't have the time to wait another 4hrs!...I'm gonna have to live with it until the cops give me a fixit ticket...

Old 08-05-2011, 12:57 PM
wolfy is on a distinguished road
i was thinking of tining my car is a good thing i saw the thread

Old 08-05-2011, 10:21 PM
Sinan is on a distinguished road
My PTT was the first to be delivered in Boston. I got it tinted the next day. So no one had experience with the tint/felt issue. It got all scratched, did it again, got scratched again. I gave up just because you cannot see the scratches from outside. I live with it

Old 08-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RobertM
So I call the dealer (service department) to get a price on tinting the windows (I called 3 of them) and ALL of them said the exact same thing.

They would prefer not to do it because they are having issues with the tint scratching due to the windows and weathering striping being very very tight when the windows go up and down.

One of the service advisors also stated that if I go and have it done by someone besides the porsche dealership to be very careful with the type of tint material used because it will could cause an issue with the radio signal. NOW that is crazy.

Has anyone had issues with either the tint on the windows scratching or an issue with the radio signal ???

Some tints have a metalic base that in some cars causes problems with certain radio frequencies or nav systems. However most good tint installers also carry non-metalic based film if you're concerned about this (although you may not be able to go as dark as you would like). Some vehicles have felt on the inside edge of the rubber window strip. If the Panamera does not, a good installer will be able to add felt strips to the inside edge of the rubber to avoid the scratching. It will not interfer with the window operations. I had it done on several Porsche and MBZ with metalic based film with no issues what so ever. Most dealer are reluctant to put anything on a car that could be deemed a "safety issue". Find a good independent installer in your area. In Florida I would image there are many good installers. Stay with the grey shades. These seem to last longer. look better and attract less attention.

I've been having the windows on all my car tinted since 1995. I wouldn't own a car without tint. The amount of UVA and UVB blockage cuts down on cabin heat tremendously. I never have to put my sunvisor to the side. All of my tint jobs lasted over 10 years. No stratches, no bubbles, no rips. All the tints were metalic based and did not interfer with my radio or nav.

Last edited by Duane996tt; 08-05-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Ballgie has a spectacular aura aboutBallgie has a spectacular aura about
I am going to tint mine tomorrow. Wish me luck....

Old 08-06-2011, 11:06 AM
TheRox has a spectacular aura aboutTheRox has a spectacular aura aboutTheRox has a spectacular aura about
For tinting, you need to specify ceramic tints, you don't want metallic. Cermaic is the higest quality, does not fade over time, and does not interfere with electronic signals at all.

Formula one pinnacle series is ceramic and very good

There is a step up...(pointless IMHO) called Huper Optik or Huber Optik...google them -- they are supposedly the best brand.

Ceramic tints will probably run you 250-350

Huper Optik around 550.

Don't get anything less than ceramic tints for your Porsche, unless its a lease...then whatever.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:14 AM
inception is on a distinguished road
the tint scratching is an annoying issue w/ this car due to lack of felt.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:54 AM
fman52 is on a distinguished road
I have all of my windows tinted the ones in the back are like pitch black my dealer installed my tint on my new 2011 panamera 4 I have had no issues so far!

Old 09-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Motohead279 is a jewel in the roughMotohead279 is a jewel in the roughMotohead279 is a jewel in the rough
I bought my car in January and had the windows done a week later. All 4 windows scratched all to hell the first time I put the windows down. I just got the windows retinted, and have the felt strips, I just need to put the felt strips on. In the meantime I just have to remind myself not to put down the windows until then.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tinting of windows / any issues ???