Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Panamera turbo S test Insidelane (video)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 10:50 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
2012 Panamera turbo S test Insidelane (video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcYN61neLX4

Last edited by kip; 08-29-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:46 PM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for posting this
Traded in my 911 and CT and got me a November factory pick-up
A month on the Autobahn should be fun

Old 08-27-2011, 02:00 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by pepper09tt
Thanks for posting this
Remember the roads can be slippery in November in northern Germany. Usually it just rains. I got so excited about the panamera turbo s that sold my 997tt and am getting the turbo w powerkit. Am convinced there is no real difference. Expecting some autobahn driving, but they say there is a 500km driving in period, so will have to restrain myself and do it properly.

Was also hoping to do the Leipzig factory tour + track session, but they were fully booked on such short notice.

Last edited by kip; 08-27-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:26 PM
WFBlue is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pepper09tt
Thanks for posting this
Man, you sure love Leipzig!

Old 08-28-2011, 07:07 AM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by WFBlue
Man, you sure love Leipzig!
Indeed,it really is growing on me

Old 08-28-2011, 11:26 AM
kip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsi1d4CqdGA

Insideline turbo s
0-60 3.5
1/4 mile 11.9 @ 117.2

Motortrend above turbo video
0-60 3.5
1/4 mile 11.9 @ 114.7

I was surprised that only the trap speed was higher. How significant in reality is this? I would suspect that a 3 mph difference is a lot in real life.

Last edited by kip; 08-29-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:16 AM
kip
Corrected the links to working ones. It seems mobile links dont work on normal computer?!

Old 08-29-2011, 11:24 AM
umwolverine will become famous soon enoughumwolverine will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by kip

Insideline turbo s
0-60 3.5
1/4 mile 11.9 @ 117.2

0-60 3.5
1/4 mile 11.9 @ 114.7

I was surprised that only the trap speed was higher. How significant in reality is this? I would suspect that a 3 mph difference is a lot in real life.
I'm really surprised at the relatively low trap speeds for these cars. As a 'rookie' drag racer, I ran a 12.6 @ 116.3 in my stock E60 M5 without launch control (terrible 2.1 sec 60' time). I know some stock E60 M5's ran as high as 119 traps, but couldn't break into the 11's because of the terrible SMG launch.

I also know the new CLS63 AMG with the power kit has tested at 11.9 at 122. I would expect the Turbo S to equal or better than these cars in both time and trap speed.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:01 PM
TMC CL65 is a jewel in the roughTMC CL65 is a jewel in the roughTMC CL65 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by kip

Insideline turbo s
0-60 3.5
1/4 mile 11.9 @ 117.2

0-60 3.5
1/4 mile 11.9 @ 114.7

Originally Posted by umwolverine
I'm really surprised at the relatively low trap speeds for these cars. As a 'rookie' drag racer, I ran a 12.6 @ 116.3 in my stock E60 M5 without launch control (terrible 2.1 sec 60' time). I know some stock E60 M5's ran as high as 119 traps, but couldn't break into the 11's because of the terrible SMG launch.

I also know the new CLS63 AMG with the power kit has tested at 11.9 at 122. I would expect the Turbo S to equal or better than these cars in both time and trap speed.

I just want to point out that Motor Trend and Edmunds Inside Line trap speeds are not a direct comparable. Motor Trend uses the GPS (vbox) based trap speed at the 1/4 mile mark. Edmunds Inside Line actually averages the last 66' of the 1/4 mile run to arrive at a calculated trap speed. They do this to simulate the trap speed one would see at a drag strip where they use timing lights (time - distance) to arrive at the trap speed. Having used my vbox at the drag strip, the GPS trap speed was usually about 1.5% higher than on the timeslip. Depending on what is happening in those last 66' of the 1/4 mile run (shift?)... the GPS trap could be closer to 119mph for the Panamera Turbo S.

Also, I believe Inside Line uses a less aggressive calculation to weather correct their acceleration data. It seems as though all the US magazines weather correct the data...and do a 1 foot roll out as well.

With all that said, you probably need more data collection on the Panamera Turbo S. The weather (density altitude) and track surface could be skewing the results of the test above. Even though they weather correct the data, it still won't compensate for how much timing is pulled on a forced induction car if the weather is hot and humid. Then again the Turbo S may be making all that extra power....but there maybe torque limiters in the stock software to protect the transmission....which may make it harder to see any additional power put down at launch.

Tom

Old 09-01-2011, 06:01 PM
pmichaelis is on a distinguished road
I would add a note about GPS based measurements. GPS has a locational uncertainty that makes the distance traveled a variable. Called PDOP (positional dilution of precision), this can amount to as much as 10 meters at start and finish (measuring points) and changes over time. So a quarter mile run based on GPS data can vary by 66 feet or 5.3%. And, this doesn't include the time TDOP. To eliminate this error, multiple runs must be taken and averaged. Measured gates and timed runs leads to the least uncertainty.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:19 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Unless the two cars are tested side-by-side in the same conditions with the same measurement tools, you really can't use these results as matter-of-fact. Too many variables coming in to play that could cause a 5% or so error.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:34 PM
kw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud of
Man, Panamera turbo is sure impressive. Working on getting one to round out the collection

Old 09-02-2011, 01:50 AM
kip
Originally Posted by TMC CL65
I just want to point out that Motor Trend and Edmunds Inside Line trap speeds are not a direct comparable. Motor Trend uses the GPS (vbox) based trap speed at the 1/4 mile mark. Edmunds Inside Line actually averages the last 66' of the 1/4 mile run to arrive at a calculated trap speed. They do this to simulate the trap speed one would see at a drag strip where they use timing lights (time - distance) to arrive at the trap speed. Having used my vbox at the drag strip, the GPS trap speed was usually about 1.5% higher than on the timeslip. Depending on what is happening in those last 66' of the 1/4 mile run (shift?)... the GPS trap could be closer to 119mph for the Panamera Turbo S.

Also, I believe Inside Line uses a less aggressive calculation to weather correct their acceleration data. It seems as though all the US magazines weather correct the data...and do a 1 foot roll out as well.

With all that said, you probably need more data collection on the Panamera Turbo S. The weather (density altitude) and track surface could be skewing the results of the test above. Even though they weather correct the data, it still won't compensate for how much timing is pulled on a forced induction car if the weather is hot and humid. Then again the Turbo S may be making all that extra power....but there maybe torque limiters in the stock software to protect the transmission....which may make it harder to see any additional power put down at launch.

Tom
Nice points. Also to these results adds tire condition, fuel octane, fuel amount (100l gas tank weighs a lot)

European mags have gotten a lot better 1/4 mile times, so I am optimistic:

Autobild sportcars powerkit ptt
1/4 11.53s
http://www.autobild.de/artikel/b7-bi...t-1572337.html
1/4 11.55s
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...vspanamer.jpg/

I dont understand why they do not give trap speeds... However 0-200km/h times have been 11.8 and 12.0 respectively, so the trap speeds are under 120mph.