Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panamera engine using oil??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 12:54 PM
awryexperiment will become famous soon enoughawryexperiment will become famous soon enough
Panamera engine using oil??

Have any of you guys had issues with your Panamera using engine oil?

I know this is common and expected in the Cayennes during the first couple of thousand miles. Per PCNA, it may be normal to consume as much as 1 qt every 600miles.

Is this also an issue with the Pans and does it tend to lessen over time??

I'm not sure I buy into the fact that this is acceptable on a car at this price.
Thanks!

Old 12-07-2011, 03:13 PM
T-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to behold
Issues? Heck...my 4S drinks it! I actually keep a case of Mobile 1 in my garage. I called my dealer and they told me that it can burn 1 quart per 1500 miles and even 1 quart at 600 miles if I drove the heck out of it. It seems pretty ridiculous to me that a $130,000 vehicle drinks oil. I would love to hear if someone has heard of anything being done by Porsches to resolve this PROBLEM!

Old 12-07-2011, 03:43 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
All race engines eat oil. I believe they are not manufactured tight, so when there is a lot of heat they tighten up. It depends on how you drive it, more aggressivness eats oil. That said my PTT has eaten 0 oil in 4000km I have had it. Never leave home without a small oil bottle. My e39 M5 used to take aliter every 1000km.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Sinan is on a distinguished road
It's not an issue or problem. It was the same for my E60 M5, even worse actually. And my PTT now drinks a quart every 1000miles I would say. I always keep a bottle of oil with me. It's quite common for performance V8s and V10s.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Mhirsch is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by T-Mac
Issues? Heck...my 4S drinks it! I actually keep a case of Mobile 1 in my garage. I called my dealer and they told me that it can burn 1 quart per 1500 miles and even 1 quart at 600 miles if I drove the heck out of it. It seems pretty ridiculous to me that a $130,000 vehicle drinks oil. I would love to hear if someone has heard of anything being done by Porsches to resolve this PROBLEM!
My M5 drinks just as much oil as well. It was even implied the more oil it uses the better the engine is,,,,

Old 12-08-2011, 09:39 AM
awryexperiment will become famous soon enoughawryexperiment will become famous soon enough
IMHO if the engines use so much oil, then why bother prescribing oil changes? Just change the filter every 10k miles... by that time you will have consumed (and replaced ) a minumum of 10L of oil.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:40 AM
Has anyone seen the oil consumption rate reduce after 8K-10K miles??

Old 12-08-2011, 12:11 PM
hummerchine is on a distinguished road
My 4S came with 240 miles on it; after I put on a few hundred it dropped a bar on the oil, so I added some. I'm at nearly 6000 miles now, still on the same bar. So mine is using no oil, yours is gulping it? That does not sound right at all...

Old 12-12-2011, 04:34 AM
borderless is on a distinguished road
I've had similar experience as others. I'm at 22k miles on my PTT, had a dealer oil change done at 18k and the low oil alert just went on again last night.

Same as others, I keep Mobil 1 in my garage.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:41 PM
TheRox has a spectacular aura aboutTheRox has a spectacular aura aboutTheRox has a spectacular aura about
A Car cannot use oil...its hydrocarbons. This is not good if your car is "eating oil"

It means the liquid oil is being turned into solid...likely carbon buildup (from the hydrocarbons in the oil) due to the direct injection system

Such is life.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:00 AM
Taylormade2 is just really niceTaylormade2 is just really niceTaylormade2 is just really niceTaylormade2 is just really nice
Originally Posted by hummerchine
My 4S came with 240 miles on it; after I put on a few hundred it dropped a bar on the oil, so I added some. I'm at nearly 6000 miles now, still on the same bar. So mine is using no oil, yours is gulping it? That does not sound right at all...
Perhaps you added more than you should have. One bar is only 0.26 qts.

The manual seems to provide a nice description as to why the engine uses oil.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Perhaps I was not clear...

When I purchased my 4S last summer, the odometer read 240 miles and the oil gauge was at bar 2. After I drove a few hundred miles more, the oil gauge dropped to bar one; I added 0.5 quarts of oil, so now the gauge was at bar 3...where it has remained to this date, which is now over 6000 miles on the car.

How does it make any sense that some owners are sucking down the oil, yet my car is using like none?

Old 12-15-2011, 08:35 AM
Hummerchine, thanks for your input. Could you characterize how hard/easy you drive the car? I also wonder if you know what weight oil is in the engine.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:39 PM
Sorry for the slow response...I've been super busy at work! I vary how I drive; this car is my daily driver, and I'm trying real hard to not get any tickets. I do like to accelerate hard much of the time, and I do go on many joyrides up a mountain road behind our house. I was using Sport mode, occasionally Sport Plus...now I'm using manual, love to rev the engine. I went on a rock climbing trip in Oregon a while back, 6 hour drive each way and I did speed a lot and pass a lot of cars. I'd slow down whenever a car was approaching to the speed limit, then back higher on the almost deserted highways I was on. The half-quart of oil I added early on was 0W-40, that's what I interpreted I was meant to use from the manual (Mobil 1 of course). I'm guessing that's what came in the car, but no way to know for sure.

I feel bad for all of you whose cars seem to be sucking down the oil; normal or not, that would bum me out. My last car was a 2004 Maxima 6sp manual, never seemed to consume any oil at all...or so I thought. I did change the oil every 5000 miles, always used synthetic, and as it turned out the dipstick was nearly impossible to interpret. Early this year the engine compartment started making a clicking sound, I thought maybe the fan blades were hitting the housing. Had it looked at, the car had NO OIL! So I'm thinking at my last oil change they forgot to put oil back in! And amazingly it seemed to be fine after putting oil in it...for a few more months anyway. Then clicking again, although it sounded way different this time, I thought it was something else. Nope, no oil. I figure it was sucking down a quart every 700 miles or so, with no warning lights and a hard to read dipstick...until dry. My mechanic says it must have had something way wrong with it, like a cracked ring or something. That's what inspired me to buy my Panamera...and a this point, I'm glad it happened (I love this car so much!).

But if my Panamera was sucking oil at the rate of my prior Maxima...well, I'd be quite bummed. Of course at least you can check real easy on the dash oil level gauge...

That sure does not sound even remotely right though, on a car that costs this much and is obviously so nicely made...and way especially since MY car is using none!

I hope this helps in some way...print it and show it to your dealer...

Old 12-25-2011, 05:10 PM
Finally dropped a bar, to bar 2 (dead center). At 6350 miles. I figure I'm using a quarter of a quart every 6000 miles (approx.), or a quart every 23000 miles.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Panamera engine using oil??