Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED interior light kit

Old 06-20-2012, 04:57 PM
mstone is on a distinguished road
Any update on this? Any pictures? I'm getting ready to finalize a white GTS order on Monday and am trying to justify the rear lighting pkg, along with the extended LED lighting pkg. Haven't seen one photo of what this looks like, etc. Never been able to find a Panamera at a dealer with the kit either. I'm still amazed that in a $111,000 car they mix incandescent bulbs with LED lights.

Marc in Philly!

Old 06-20-2012, 07:15 PM
aalencar is on a distinguished road
Sorry for the delay. I just picked my car up from the car shop this weekend. I talked to them about changing the trim to CF and the LED. They never did it and were not sure how much it would involve. They wanted me to bring the parts to give me a guestimate. But I am in the middle of moving. The car is in FL and I spend weekdays in NM and weekends in FL. It is hard to make it to the store so I will probably just deal with it once I am permanently there... Sorry!

I added the rear lighting pkg to my GTS because my V6 did not have it and it looked kind of weird. I went through the same thing about the LED and really thought it was not worth it. Although I have never seen one to be able to make a fair judgement.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:52 AM
aalencar,

Thanks. I thought the same thing when I noticed there was no rear light. It just felt out of place, so it looks like I am going to order that option. I'll probably just do the LED upgrade too because by the time I buy the aftermarket kit at $500.00 and then include labor, etc. I'll be at $1,000 mark anyway. Just wish I could see it.

- Marc in Philly

Old 09-13-2012, 04:04 PM
TGED is on a distinguished road
Did anyone finally get the extended interior LED lights installed? I am most interested in the additional lower center console LED lights.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:31 PM
I just received my new 2013 GTS panamera with both LED lighting packages. There are no lower center console Led lights from Porsche. Not sure about the kit.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:38 PM
According to Porsche website, the extended LED interior option includes additional indirect center console illumination. If you check out Suncoast Porsche Parts, there is a photo showing the lights. They run along the lower center console next to the gear shift. Did you try to see them at night?

Old 09-13-2012, 04:54 PM
When they refer to center console they are referring to the top console where the sunroof and garage door controls are located. It is just the same plastic console; except the bulbs are LED underneath. They stay on at night. It is nothing like you see in the S-Class, etc. Only when you open the doors. It's just the large front dome light. The footwells up front are not lit in anyway and there are no cool accents running underneath the dash or around the gear console.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:20 PM
Please check the photo on Suncoast Porsche, it does show the lower console LED, similar to the MB S-class type. The upper console LED is part of the 1st LED pkg, not the extended LED pkg.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Here is a photo of the lower console LED lights.

Attached Images  
Old 09-13-2012, 09:34 PM
vigoureux is on a distinguished road
Guys, to clear all this I actually went to the dealer. I told the guy I was interested in a specific Panamera Turbo S that I liked the color. Truth is, I found it by searching all of the dealers' inventories within 50 miles radius of my home that had this specific option. Only 1 car with it!! They had 3 other Turbo S's and no other had this option.

It is just like the Suncoast's photo. However it was so bright inside the dealership that photos wouldn't make any sense since I could barely notice the LED strip with naked eye while leaning down to see it. What confused me was the upper console light in the car was NOT led (the one closer to sunroof). and its a 2012 car. The color of the LED strip is white just like a normal LED.

So, my decision: I will NOT be getting this accessory as I don't believe it is worth the price tag + installation. Install only would probably cost as much or close to the part price. If it was something as noticeable and nice as the S-class ambient lighting, then I would have invested in it.

Here are my thoughts, sorry for no pictures, if anybody with this option could post some photos at NIGHT, it would be great for everybody interested.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:51 PM
Attached is a photo of a new 2012 A6 with center console LED option. I strongly believe this is a Euro only option on Audi's. However, I think bc of photoshop it looks brighter in the photo than it really is. Panamera's should be very similar to this (at night and with less photoshop). At least u guys can have an idea of what it's supposed to look like.

Attached Images  
Old 09-14-2012, 05:26 AM
I looked again this morning and there is indeed a small led strip recessed by the lower console. It is barely visible and you cannot see the tubing, etc. It is so un-noticeable I missed it the 1st week of owning the car. The top console dome light is so bright in LED, it makes it hard to see that there is a small light next to the console. Again, unlike the S-class, etc. you can not see the LED tubing.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by mstone
I looked again this morning and there is indeed a small led strip recessed by the lower console. It is barely visible and you cannot see the tubing, etc. It is so un-noticeable I missed it the 1st week of owning the car. The top console dome light is so bright in LED, it makes it hard to see that there is a small light next to the console. Again, unlike the S-class, etc. you can not see the LED tubing.
Yeah exactly, you really have to look for it to know it. I asked the sales person at the dealer, "what is this LED option", he said it was the day time running lights. LOL . I was just curious if he knew but I wasn't expecting that stupid of an answer Not that many people are aware of it, I assume.

I suggest you increase the Ambient Light setting in the instrument cluster screen's settings to 100%. It might help a little.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Many thanks to our fellow forum members for the clarification. Especially to Vigoureux for running to the dealer to check things out. Mstone, did you try to increase the interior light intensity to see if the lower console LEDs are more noticeable? Is the light beam more or less continuous, or is it more like individual bright spots, that means the LEDs are set wide apart? I guess I probably won't spend my money and effort to try to retrofit this to my car. I must say Porsche is quite behind in the interior lighting, some of the lights are too bright while others are too dim, you probably don't notice the LED at each interior door pull, because they are so dim that almost serve no purpose. I also think the footwell lights should stay on at a reduced level during night time driving. MB has it and calls it theater seat lighting. The MB S-class has much better interior lighting with very nice ambient lighting. They call it mood lighting, I believe you can change the color of the lighting too.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by TGED
Many thanks to our fellow forum members for the clarification. Especially to Vigoureux for running to the dealer to check things out. Mstone, did you try to increase the interior light intensity to see if the lower console LEDs are more noticeable? Is the light beam more or less continuous, or is it more like individual bright spots, that means the LEDs are set wide apart? I guess I probably won't spend my money and effort to try to retrofit this to my car. I must say Porsche is quite behind in the interior lighting, some of the lights are too bright while others are too dim, you probably don't notice the LED at each interior door pull, because they are so dim that almost serve no purpose. I also think the footwell lights should stay on at a reduced level during night time driving. MB has it and calls it theater seat lighting. The MB S-class has much better interior lighting with very nice ambient lighting. They call it mood lighting, I believe you can change the color of the lighting too.
You're quite welcome guys I was wondering so bad that I took the time to go and research etc.
I don't think each individual LED is set apart on the strip. It should look like a flow of light. However, as I couldn't see it at night I can't tell for sure. I drive my ambient lights at 100% and as you said it's still very very dim. Even on 2004 VW Touaregs you could set up footwell lights to stay on at a percentage while driving

Next week I'll be in downtown Miami and if I have time I'll check the dealer there if they have any cars with this option. I'll keep you guys updated.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LED interior light kit