Sponsored by:

GTS without PDCC or PTT ?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 03:50 PM
omarms is on a distinguished road
GTS without PDCC or PTT ?!

Hi

Read most posts on PTT vs GTS, only test drove a 4S '14 as that's what the dealer had in stock, felt really under powered, but liked the handling ... Assume the GTS is a different more powerful beast ... test drove a '14 S8, '14 M6 GC, and finally came to decide I'm going for a Panny ... worried a PTT would bring turbo lag that I already experience on my DD - BMW X6 50i, and yet fear the GTS is under powered ... To make it short, my budget is closer to the GTS, the PTT would really stretch me thin ... currently, my Porsche dealer has stock of 2 '14 GTS without PDCC, else will have to go to the higher equipped/priced PTT '14.

So now I'm really very confused, would a GTS w/o PDCC be still good - I'm gonna use it as DD, no intentions to go to track ... or I'd miss a lot, and better stretch myself to a PTT so I won't regret an incomplete experience later - not to mention the lower HP/torque ... ADVICE PLEASE !!!

Last edited by omarms; 03-07-2014 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Add details
Old 03-07-2014, 04:12 PM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
If I could afford the PTT, it would always be the PTT.

I had a similiar scenario in my Cayenne days. Went from Cayenne Turbo to the GTS back to a Turbo. The GTS looks nice, but at the end of the day it lacks power and lots of it. A PTT with PDCC will outrun and out handle any GTS for an ordinary driver....

Old 03-07-2014, 05:04 PM
Lovegts is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by omarms
Hi

Read most posts on PTT vs GTS, only test drove a 4S '14 as that's what the dealer had in stock, felt really under powered, but liked the handling ... Assume the GTS is a different more powerful beast ... test drove a '14 S8, '14 M6 GC, and finally came to decide I'm going for a Panny ... worried a PTT would bring turbo lag that I already experience on my DD - BMW X6 50i, and yet fear the GTS is under powered ... To make it short, my budget is closer to the GTS, the PTT would really stretch me thin ... currently, my Porsche dealer has stock of 2 '14 GTS without PDCC, else will have to go to the higher equipped/priced PTT '14.

So now I'm really very confused, would a GTS w/o PDCC be still good - I'm gonna use it as DD, no intentions to go to track ... or I'd miss a lot, and better stretch myself to a PTT so I won't regret an incomplete experience later - not to mention the lower HP/torque ... ADVICE PLEASE !!!
I have a 14 panny gts without pdcc that I use as a dd. I love the car and don't miss the hp..I had a v10 m5 ...no doubt pdcc help in keeping the car flat when making sharp turns but I don't think it really affects your enjoyment of the car.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:13 PM
tonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of light
If the 4S is underpowered to you, skip the GTS. Get a Turbo and tune it.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:05 PM
mtimmy415 is on a distinguished road
Go with turbo....... I know I did the right choice.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:43 PM
TheBeav will become famous soon enough
That's a tough decision. For me, if I could swing the turbo w/o stretching myself too thin i would go for it. Otherwise I would get the GTS and wouldn't look back.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by tonyep
If the 4S is underpowered to you, skip the GTS. Get a Turbo and tune it.

To be very accurate, I felt 4S lacked spirit, you really feel it's a very good V6, and hence underpowered ... having read the reviews of GTS owners though, assumed GTS is a whole different car - though numbers (HP/torque) are almost those of 4S ... Anyway, for the record, connected w/ Anderson Germany and planned to tune the GTS - their ECU tuning adds 28 HP and 40 NM ... on the PTT, if I were to get it was planning TechArt tuning, any recommendations on tuning ??

Old 03-08-2014, 02:13 AM
tonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of light
To be very accurate, I felt 4S lacked spirit, you really feel it's a very good V6, and hence underpowered ... having read the reviews of GTS owners though, assumed GTS is a whole different car - though numbers (HP/torque) are almost those of 4S ... Anyway, for the record, connected w/ Anderson Germany and planned to tune the GTS - their ECU tuning adds 28 HP and 40 NM ... on the PTT, if I were to get it was planning TechArt tuning, any recommendations on tuning ??
I keep forgetting that the MY14 4S are running V6TT now so I can't comment on how that drive since i've never driven one yet.

The TechArt is not an ECU flash, it is a piggyback system. Many are running either GIAC or FVD.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:27 AM
Couldn't find pricing info on GIAC, wondering however what's the principal difference from TechArt ... Seems both are ECU software updates !
also any idea if these void Porsche warranty?

Old 03-08-2014, 03:30 AM
Originally Posted by Lovegts
I have a 14 panny gts without pdcc that I use as a dd. I love the car and don't miss the hp..I had a v10 m5 ...no doubt pdcc help in keeping the car flat when making sharp turns but I don't think it really affects your enjoyment of the car.
if anything, would've really wanted to test drive the GTS, the stats and acceleration records are very impressive, substantially better than my current X6 50i, yet it's my fear of how different it'd be from the 4S I test drove, which is while composed, is not really impressive - specially torque wise

Old 03-08-2014, 06:04 AM
GQsOwn is on a distinguished road
Personally, I would not get a PTT. I prefer natural aspirated engines and the sounds they produce. Now that I have that out the way. I, test drove the 650GC XI not the M6 because I wanted all-wheel drive and thought about tuning the 650GC, which would make it faster than the M6 and have all-wheel drive. But I test drove the Porsche Panamera 4S although I knew I wouldn't get the 4S it was GTS or nothing for me. It was not a '14 4S so I cannot comment on how that one drives but I have a '14 GTS and its the best driving car I have owned. I sold my E92 M3 for the '14 GTS and haven't looked back. I have the same or better acceleration as the M3 (0-60 4.1), breaking distance, 1/4 mile, or etc... It is quintessential Porsche and confidential inspiring car. In full disclosure I have PDCC and I wouldn't buy the car without it.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:42 AM
cole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by GQsOwn
Personally, I would not get a PTT. I prefer natural aspirated engines and the sounds they produce. Now that I have that out the way. I, test drove the 650GC XI not the M6 because I wanted all-wheel drive and thought about tuning the 650GC, which would make it faster than the M6 and have all-wheel drive. But I test drove the Porsche Panamera 4S although I knew I wouldn't get the 4S it was GTS or nothing for me. It was not a '14 4S so I cannot comment on how that one drives but I have a '14 GTS and its the best driving car I have owned. I sold my E92 M3 for the '14 GTS and haven't looked back. I have the same or better acceleration as the M3 (0-60 4.1), breaking distance, 1/4 mile, or etc... It is quintessential Porsche and confidential inspiring car. In full disclosure I have PDCC and I wouldn't buy the car without it.

+100...well said. My '13 GTS certainly is not the perfect car, but it is the beat all around car I have ever owned. I may be in the minority here, but I test drove the turbo when I was shopping around. I, fortunately, could have afforded either, but found the turbo "boring." Sure, it was fast as hell, but that was it.... I was very very disconnected from the driving experience.

For the record, the sound of the GTS alone is worth the price of admission....

Old 03-08-2014, 06:59 AM
dhh
dhh has a spectacular aura aboutdhh has a spectacular aura about
buy the most you can afford. I'm on my second PTT and nothing beats the power. Here is an interesting video with the PTT and the Panamera 4S on the same track - along with a S8, 911 4S and an E63. Pretty big difference in performance surprisingly.

http://jalopnik.com/the-baddest-germ...t-m-1488745922

Last edited by dhh; 03-08-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:59 AM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Couldn't find pricing info on GIAC, wondering however what's the principal difference from TechArt ... Seems both are ECU software updates !
also any idea if these void Porsche warranty?
MSRP is $3000.00 for our software. It is a true ECU flash versus a piggyback resistor module. Because it's a true ECU flash, you will make significantly larger power gains, with all of the engine safeties built into the DME left intact.

Regarding warranty, you might contact Champion Motorsport as I believe they provide supplemental warranty with our software if purchased through one of their dealers (this might only be in the U.S.).

Old 03-11-2014, 10:23 AM
supercup is on a distinguished road
I went back and forth - was coming out of an E60 M5 as well. Decided to go with PTT over PGTS - both great cars. Liked the power of the Turbo better. Very happy with my choice. If I lived near lots of twisty roads I would have gone GTS - but most of my driving is on S. Calif. freeways, so the extra power of the Turbo is nice.

I have GIAC software and IPD plennum - which is a great combo and lot of bang for the buck. I would not waste your money on software for a GTS - you simply don't get enough power gain to justify the cost.

If the PTT is stretching the budget I would look for a good low mile used one. They have a lot of 1st year depreciation, so in our area at least you can buy a nice low mile PTT for about the same or less than a new GTS.

You will love either car! Good luck with your decision.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GTS without PDCC or PTT ?!