Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! 2010 Panamera S Coolant blew out engine Temperature high! NEED ADVICE!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 11:34 PM
Chancew is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,
I need some serious help…
I was driving my 2010 Panamera S V8 around 4-6000RPM for about 5-10 mins and I saw the engine temp went pass the middle line. Soon later I smelled coolant from the inside.
Following messages were immediately displayed: “check coolant Level”, “Engine Temperature high”, “Temperature sensor failed (something like that)”
I then shut down the engine after 1 minute or 2.
I opened up the hood and see coolant everywhere in the engine bay, it was even shot out of the hood.
Coolant looks more like came out of the front of the engine bay but I do not see anything hose or radiator failure by visual inspection.
I towed the car back and I removed the engine cover. I refilled more coolant from the reservoir with engine off, after 2 and half gallon it started leaking again and it is from the little hole on the bottom of where the engine and transmission mounted together. See picture attached.
Name:  Leak%20hole%202_zpsxs5nwzhb.jpg
Views: 5727
Size:  234.8 KB
Name:  Leak%20hole_zpsuqzatojx.jpg
Views: 3531
Size:  156.5 KB
The engine would turn on fine and there is no abnormal reaction. However, the temperature reading will be pointing at the highest spot at all time.
I am wondering if anyone has an idea of what is going on.
I want to take care of it myself, but I would like to get some advice and guidance from an expert before jump right into it.
I have a lot of questions in mind. What might be the causes? What parts do I need to replace? What are inside the transmission bell housing with coolant?
Also if anyone knows any Porsche Technician around Los Angeles area who would advise me will be super helpful and I am willing to pay a price for the help and guidance.
Thank you all for taking time read my post.

Last edited by Chancew; 05-06-2015 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:22 AM
porschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant future
Very sorry to hear . Just send the car in a porsche dealer and get them replaced with aluminum

Old 05-07-2015, 09:05 AM
SoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to beholdSoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to beholdSoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to beholdSoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to beholdSoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to beholdSoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to behold
Same thing happened to my 2011 PTT. See my thread.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...tow-truck.html

Old 05-08-2015, 11:33 AM
feeltherush will become famous soon enoughfeeltherush will become famous soon enough
That sucks. SoCal, is that covered by warranty?

Old 05-09-2015, 06:25 AM
Yankee is on a distinguished road
What you are pointing to as the source of leak is actually where the coolant is draining from the top of the engine under the air intake distributor. It drains towards the back where the pdk mates with the engine. There is a drain hole by the starter motor and the hole you are pointing to is the underside of that. Inside that cavity is the flywheel and clutch. See my post in this thread below

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...s-model-3.html

Your damage is already done. At the minimum you should replace the coolant pump (updated part) & thermostat. Coolant sensor error could be due to coolant dump but it would be safe to replace that now that you will be in there. Other issue is that the starter motor would have been doused with this hot corrosive liquid which also drained into the flywheel/clutch area. Your starter motor will start to make some rattling noise sometime soon. Some cleaning/rinsing of the flywheel cavity is probably a good idea. Not sure what and how though.

For those of you who haven't experienced this issue it would be prudent to address this now. If you have warranty then try and get this done for free. Out of warranty quote would be about $4k using updated part or you can do what I did for a cost of under $50 ($40 coolant to top off, $1 screw, $2 epoxy) and some elbow grease.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:04 PM
EmmHolla is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Yankee
What you are pointing to as the source of leak is actually where the coolant is draining from the top of the engine under the air intake distributor. It drains towards the back where the pdk mates with the engine. There is a drain hole by the starter motor and the hole you are pointing to is the underside of that. Inside that cavity is the flywheel and clutch. See my post in this thread below https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...s-model-3.html Your damage is already done. At the minimum you should replace the coolant pump (updated part) & thermostat. Coolant sensor error could be due to coolant dump but it would be safe to replace that now that you will be in there. Other issue is that the starter motor would have been doused with this hot corrosive liquid which also drained into the flywheel/clutch area. Your starter motor will start to make some rattling noise sometime soon. Some cleaning/rinsing of the flywheel cavity is probably a good idea. Not sure what and how though. For those of you who haven't experienced this issue it would be prudent to address this now. If you have warranty then try and get this done for free. Out of warranty quote would be about $4k using updated part or you can do what I did for a cost of under $50 ($40 coolant to top off, $1 screw, $2 epoxy) and some elbow grease.
What model year cars does this effect? And has there been a recall on this or its something that Porsche will only address when it breaks?..

Last edited by EmmHolla; 05-09-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:56 AM
Yankee is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by EmmHolla
What model year cars does this effect? And has there been a recall on this or its something that Porsche will only address when it breaks?..
Not sure. There have been same issue reported on the Cayenne forum. Mine is out of warranty. The dealer did say that it would have been covered if the vehicle had warranty. Ask your shop. You could probably convince them by showing these threads.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:10 AM
moham ad is an unknown quantity at this point
hello
i have panamera turbo 2012
problem is about :
when i drive about 30 min in heavy traffic temprature goes high to higher than 100
then air condition blow get warm and doesnt work for

once i take car to reprasentive dealership of porsche they changed the coolant fluid
they searched for leak and said no leak they found
finally they changed thermostat valve just for test

but with new thermostat valve i have same problem
and nothing changed