Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How reliable is your panamera?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 05:02 PM
mwvh is on a distinguished road
How reliable is your panamera?

I’m relatively new tothis forum and this is my first post.
12 months ago I purchaseda beautiful 2011 Panamera Turbo with only 34K miles. It was just out ofwarranty, but given the excellent condition and clean maintenance records, Ithought I was taking very little risk. Well, that was until the electronicsstarted acting up…

-1stproblem:after just 4 months ofownership a “Chassis system failure” message started appearing and I noticesome clunking noises coming from the front end, every time I turned sharply.So, I returned to the PC and they told me that the compressor needed changingand that most of the front suspension needed replacing (apparently common onearly Panameras), for a total expected bill of over $8K. After some discussionsPCNA agreed to cover most of this expense, despite the absence of warranty.Final bill was just under 3K.

-2ndproblem: two weeks later, a headlight control fault started displaying. So, Ireturned to the PC and they diagnosed a worn out battery, which I agreed tochange for a total cost of $800.

-3rdproblem: two weeks later again, the Headlight control fault re-appeared, so I onceagain returned to my local PC. This time, after much trouble trying toreplicate the problem, they diagnosed a faulty alternator, which costs $2.5K toreplace.Once again, after somediscussions with PCNA, the final bill ended up at around $1.5K.

-4thproblem: two weeks later again, the headlight control fault re-appeared, butthis time with other faults, such as check engine and sport mode failure.On the drive to the PC, the car started to gomad:The whole dash and radio switchedoff and then back on again multiple times, it started displaying multiplefaults, the windshield wipers started to operate on their own, the rear wing cameout and back in in again multiple times, all this while the car was stilldriving normally. After days of investigation they diagnosed a short happeningon a wire in a fender. Apparently it was grounding out and taking downcommunications to the gateway module. So, small fix, with no charge.

-5thproblem: three weeks later, same exact faults re-appeared.This time the PC replaced the gateway controlmodule and some other electronic components. Once again, PCNA covered the costof this replacement, but put 700miles of testing on the car to be sure it wasfixed.

-6thproblem: two months later, a new error appeared: windshield wiper defective. So,I returned the car to the PC, where they diagnosed a defective wiper motor. Thecost $700.

-7thproblem: one month later, all the previous daemons returned: warning messages /dashboard switched off and on etc etc. The car is now sitting at the PC, whereit’s been for the last 3 weeks. They’ve diagnosed a short circuit, somewhere on thevehicle, but simply can’t find where it is.

I have to say that Iused to love this car, but I’ve since lost faith in it. I’ve been drivingloaner cars for 120 of my 365 days of ownership and even though these are very niceCayenne’s, they’re just not as nice to drive as my own car.

Has anyone else outthere had a similar experience? If so, how was it resolved?

So far, my local PChas been great to work with and PCNA has also been good, by standing over theirbrand and contributing to some of the costs, despite the warranty being expired. However, I don’t know if I can regain confidence in this car or the brand (I also had alot of electronic problems with my 997S).

If interested, I will post an update if/when all is resolved.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:38 PM
OEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura about
Sorry to hear about your experience thus far. From everything I've read and experienced in my 5 months of ownership, Panameras are fairly reliable. There can be some outliers and your car may be one. I recently swapped out my battery as well after having starting difficulties. Good luck with the resolution of the issues.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:45 PM
NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !
4 years with a GTS. Other than an entry and drive key recognition issue, it's been completely reliable. And really no electronics weirdness other than once the dashboard display started cycling through all the functions over and over like I had been scrolling through them manually. Turning off the car and restarting stopped it and I've never seen it again.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:40 PM
Pieter97 is on a distinguished road
my experience

I purchased a 2012 Panamera S hybrid 18 months ago, it had just over 20k miles on it. Today I got up to 40k miles and apart from an oil change and a check up at the local Porsche dealer when the warranty expired, I have not been back at the dealership. I purchased after market warranty for another 60k miles (taking me to around 90k miles when done), so I plan on driving it for a few more years.
The after market warranty gives me reasonable peace of mind.
Sorry to read about your Panamera issues, I hope they sort it out soon so you can start experiencing that 'turbo feeling' again.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:41 PM
cheetos72 is on a distinguished road
Hi there. -- 2 years for me of ownership of a 2011 Turbo. I've had a similar issue as "NiceCar" with keyless entry and drive, also water pump and transmission pan leak (replaced the water pump and the transmission pan). Other that that I've done normal maintenance items (tires, battery, wipers) and its been a great car.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:48 PM
riden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura about
Sorry to hear about your experience. I owned a p4 for 28 months and currently a PGTS for 32 months. No problems with the p4 (2012) and so far, no problems with the PGTS (2014).

Old 09-02-2016, 07:32 PM
bebeqq1231 is on a distinguished road
2103 GTS No issue at all =)

Old 09-02-2016, 07:45 PM
JayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the rough
I have a 2011 PTT as well and deft don't have the problems your having. Most of mine are a result of myself doing them (led bulb errors/chassis error only because mine is lowered with a module (although I have gotten that error but after i shut down the car and restarted it was fine). The only major thing I have had was the temp sensor going wacky because of a short on the plug. replaced or just rewired by my indy and its been fine. I have only had this car for 9 months and its been great honestly. To add to that, I have put on 16k miles since January and prob will run it up to over 25-27k in one year. Hoping for the best as I plan on keeping this car for a few years.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:57 AM
EmmHolla is on a distinguished road
2012 P4S.. I've had a faulty horn... And one other issues I forget exactly what it was.. Outside of that it's been routine maintenance and replacing tires after driving over nails.. Also had to replace a tpm sensor once. All under warranty..

This car is a cpo car with warranty until 2018. I would be getting rid of the car when that warranty is up.. To me driving without a factory backed warranty is something I'd rather not do.. Good luck..

Old 09-03-2016, 11:00 AM
Jafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mwvh
I’m relatively new tothis forum and this is my first post. 12 months ago I purchaseda beautiful 2011 Panamera Turbo with only 34K miles. It was just out ofwarranty, but given the excellent condition and clean maintenance records, Ithought I was taking very little risk. Well, that was until the electronicsstarted acting up… -1stproblem:after just 4 months ofownership a “Chassis system failure” message started appearing and I noticesome clunking noises coming from the front end, every time I turned sharply.So, I returned to the PC and they told me that the compressor needed changingand that most of the front suspension needed replacing (apparently common onearly Panameras), for a total expected bill of over $8K. After some discussionsPCNA agreed to cover most of this expense, despite the absence of warranty.Final bill was just under 3K. -2ndproblem: two weeks later, a headlight control fault started displaying. So, Ireturned to the PC and they diagnosed a worn out battery, which I agreed tochange for a total cost of $800. -3rdproblem: two weeks later again, the Headlight control fault re-appeared, so I onceagain returned to my local PC. This time, after much trouble trying toreplicate the problem, they diagnosed a faulty alternator, which costs $2.5K toreplace.Once again, after somediscussions with PCNA, the final bill ended up at around $1.5K. -4thproblem: two weeks later again, the headlight control fault re-appeared, butthis time with other faults, such as check engine and sport mode failure.On the drive to the PC, the car started to gomad:The whole dash and radio switchedoff and then back on again multiple times, it started displaying multiplefaults, the windshield wipers started to operate on their own, the rear wing cameout and back in in again multiple times, all this while the car was stilldriving normally. After days of investigation they diagnosed a short happeningon a wire in a fender. Apparently it was grounding out and taking downcommunications to the gateway module. So, small fix, with no charge. -5thproblem: three weeks later, same exact faults re-appeared.This time the PC replaced the gateway controlmodule and some other electronic components. Once again, PCNA covered the costof this replacement, but put 700miles of testing on the car to be sure it wasfixed. -6thproblem: two months later, a new error appeared: windshield wiper defective. So,I returned the car to the PC, where they diagnosed a defective wiper motor. Thecost $700. -7thproblem: one month later, all the previous daemons returned: warning messages /dashboard switched off and on etc etc. The car is now sitting at the PC, whereit’s been for the last 3 weeks. They’ve diagnosed a short circuit, somewhere on thevehicle, but simply can’t find where it is. I have to say that Iused to love this car, but I’ve since lost faith in it. I’ve been drivingloaner cars for 120 of my 365 days of ownership and even though these are very niceCayenne’s, they’re just not as nice to drive as my own car. Has anyone else outthere had a similar experience? If so, how was it resolved? So far, my local PChas been great to work with and PCNA has also been good, by standing over theirbrand and contributing to some of the costs, despite the warranty being expired. However, I don’t know if I can regain confidence in this car or the brand (I also had alot of electronic problems with my 997S). If interested, I will post an update if/when all is resolved.

I once had a Cayenne (2003) like that, nothing but trouble and issues.
No point in keeping the car, the issues will continue. With that many issues I would contact Porsche HQ directly and ask for compensation and buy back and refer to the Lemon Law; this can't be normal.
With a bit of luck (and possibly the need for lawyer support) you can get your money back.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:05 PM
robhamster has a spectacular aura aboutrobhamster has a spectacular aura about
I had a 2012 P4S that first had the horn go, and then the entire engine had to be repaced at 20K miles. Porsche said it was scored cylinders or something. for the next 10 months the car was in the shop at least one week a month with one little thing or another related to the engine swap. After several WTF conversations with PCNA, I traded that in last year on a 2014 PTT and so far so good.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:21 AM
donmckee90 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mwvh
I’m relatively new tothis forum and this is my first post.
12 months ago I purchaseda beautiful 2011 Panamera Turbo with only 34K miles. It was just out ofwarranty, but given the excellent condition and clean maintenance records, Ithought I was taking very little risk. Well, that was until the electronicsstarted acting up…

-1stproblem:after just 4 months ofownership a “Chassis system failure” message started appearing and I noticesome clunking noises coming from the front end, every time I turned sharply.So, I returned to the PC and they told me that the compressor needed changingand that most of the front suspension needed replacing (apparently common onearly Panameras), for a total expected bill of over $8K. After some discussionsPCNA agreed to cover most of this expense, despite the absence of warranty.Final bill was just under 3K.

-2ndproblem: two weeks later, a headlight control fault started displaying. So, Ireturned to the PC and they diagnosed a worn out battery, which I agreed tochange for a total cost of $800.

-3rdproblem: two weeks later again, the Headlight control fault re-appeared, so I onceagain returned to my local PC. This time, after much trouble trying toreplicate the problem, they diagnosed a faulty alternator, which costs $2.5K toreplace.Once again, after somediscussions with PCNA, the final bill ended up at around $1.5K.

-4thproblem: two weeks later again, the headlight control fault re-appeared, butthis time with other faults, such as check engine and sport mode failure.On the drive to the PC, the car started to gomad:The whole dash and radio switchedoff and then back on again multiple times, it started displaying multiplefaults, the windshield wipers started to operate on their own, the rear wing cameout and back in in again multiple times, all this while the car was stilldriving normally. After days of investigation they diagnosed a short happeningon a wire in a fender. Apparently it was grounding out and taking downcommunications to the gateway module. So, small fix, with no charge.

-5thproblem: three weeks later, same exact faults re-appeared.This time the PC replaced the gateway controlmodule and some other electronic components. Once again, PCNA covered the costof this replacement, but put 700miles of testing on the car to be sure it wasfixed.

-6thproblem: two months later, a new error appeared: windshield wiper defective. So,I returned the car to the PC, where they diagnosed a defective wiper motor. Thecost $700.

-7thproblem: one month later, all the previous daemons returned: warning messages /dashboard switched off and on etc etc. The car is now sitting at the PC, whereit’s been for the last 3 weeks. They’ve diagnosed a short circuit, somewhere on thevehicle, but simply can’t find where it is.

I have to say that Iused to love this car, but I’ve since lost faith in it. I’ve been drivingloaner cars for 120 of my 365 days of ownership and even though these are very niceCayenne’s, they’re just not as nice to drive as my own car.

Has anyone else outthere had a similar experience? If so, how was it resolved?

So far, my local PChas been great to work with and PCNA has also been good, by standing over theirbrand and contributing to some of the costs, despite the warranty being expired. However, I don’t know if I can regain confidence in this car or the brand (I also had alot of electronic problems with my 997S).

If interested, I will post an update if/when all is resolved.
I also have turbo. Engine coolant pipe leak and suspension compressor failure was my issues. previous owner experienced PDK replacement

Old 09-09-2016, 10:57 AM
kw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud of
Beside drinking a bid of engine oil, my is really trouble free.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:50 AM
NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robhamster
I had a 2012 P4S that first had the horn go ...
I also had a horn go out. But I don't consider that issue a knock against reliability, I didn't even know it was out. I consider reliability to primarily be the ability of the car to start every time and run as expected. A broken A/C vent louver didn't affect reliability either.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:17 PM
mwvh is on a distinguished road
Thanks all for the positive responses. It seems that most of you are enjoying pretty reliable motoring, which is reassuring.
Unfortunately my car is still At the PC, although they claimed to have found a rusty connector that could be the cause of many of my troubles. They are testing, with support from Porsche Technical experts in Atlanta. Time will tell if that fixes it.
Porsche NA will not facilitate a trade, so I'm stuck with it, unless I don't mind eating a ton of depreciation for a car that I've bearly driven (bought it from an independent dealer in Arisona, so I really have no comeback).
In the meantime, ironically, I just received the JD Powers reliability survey asking me about my ownership experience...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.