Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panny Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 03:44 PM
CLKFAN is on a distinguished road
Panny Question

I've been searching for Panny's and haven't ruled out base models in my search. My question is with a base v6 is it normal for there to be a vibration from the engine felt on the steering wheel? I've seen 2 base models in addition to v8's and both v6's had the same feeling. The feeling is more pronounced at idle and when you move the steering wheel left to right, almost as if the steering system is bad or the car needs something. Did these v6 models feel like this when new? I find it hard to believe someone would pay for a new car that has a vibration in the steering wheel. Im talking about engine vibration and not out of balance tire vibration at speed. I look forward to your replies.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 12-28-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:54 PM
halb has a spectacular aura abouthalb has a spectacular aura abouthalb has a spectacular aura about
I've owned a V6 for 3 years since new. After 20,000 mies I've had no vibrations in the steering wheel or any other place. Love my car. V6 has more than enough power....for me.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:43 PM
These 2 I tested were 2011 v6. Is your v6 the hybrid variant?

Old 12-29-2016, 10:29 AM
2thfxr is on a distinguished road
I have driven a '12 p4 for 5500 miles and I do not notice what you describe, total miles 13500. Not a hybrid. A 90º V6 is not going to idle as smoothly as a 60º V6. This engine is a 90º V8 with 2 cylinders cutoff. It does have balance shafts to help smooth it out. I think it has more than enough pickup from a stop for my needs. It probably is lacking in passing power compared to the V8, but I do not find that a glaring need of mine. Gas mileage at 70 mph is consistently 30.3 mpg, with my P4 having the optional larger fuel tank, I have gotten an anticipated 850 mile range estimate by the computer.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by 2thfxr
I have driven a '12 p4 for 5500 miles and I do not notice what you describe, total miles 13500. Not a hybrid. A 90º V6 is not going to idle as smoothly as a 60º V6. This engine is a 90º V8 with 2 cylinders cutoff. It does have balance shafts to help smooth it out. I think it has more than enough pickup from a stop for my needs. It probably is lacking in passing power compared to the V8, but I do not find that a glaring need of mine. Gas mileage at 70 mph is consistently 30.3 mpg, with my P4 having the optional larger fuel tank, I have gotten an anticipated 850 mile range estimate by the computer.
thats interesting. I'm about to test drive another p4 in 10 min and I will report back if this one has the same symptom as the other 2 I tested.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:38 AM
I just tested a 2012 p4 and it had no steering shake at idle even when cold. The other 2 I tested were 2010 & 2011 models. I'm wondering if it's a motor mount issue or earlier v6 quark? Who knows. I guess a ppi would need to be done to diagnose it.

I would like to know if anyone here has this symptom? Or had it and fixed it?

Old 12-29-2016, 04:06 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
15 P4, smooth at 13K.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:56 PM
OEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by CLKFAN
I just tested a 2012 p4 and it had no steering shake at idle even when cold. The other 2 I tested were 2010 & 2011 models. I'm wondering if it's a motor mount issue or earlier v6 quark? Who knows. I guess a ppi would need to be done to diagnose it.

I would like to know if anyone here has this symptom? Or had it and fixed it?
You may be on to something regarding the motor mounts. I know there was a motor mount update which I had done on my 4s

Old 01-12-2017, 08:12 AM
verdugo135 is on a distinguished road
I have a 4S and a V6 no difference in how they feel. No vibrations

Old 01-15-2017, 11:58 AM
I have 2 additional questions regarding the climate control. I test drove a 2011 PS and it was the first time I paid attention to the climate control. When I was adjusting the fan speed I noticed that you can't control both sides with the driver side as an over ride like you can with my BMW and past Cayanne, is that normal or did I miss something with the controls? Do you really have to manually adjust the fan speed on the passenger side to have even airflow on both sides?

The other thing I noticed was that the air flow sound seems to stay constant and the speed/airflow was controlled by the vents. Almost as if there's a one speed option at lower speeds and the vents do something inside to control the flow rather than the fan changing speeds for each side. I was going crazy trying to sort the way it was functioning and I felt I would go crazy if I had to hear that loud air flow sound even when the system is on low. Is that normal? Does the car not have 2 fans for each side like other cars?

side note: no steering vibration from the engine on this PS.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:05 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
yes you missed something, there is a setting that keep the passengers side AND rear all set to operate temp, fan etc on your one drivers side control.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by cerbomark
yes you missed something, there is a setting that keep the passengers side AND rear all set to operate temp, fan etc on your one drivers side control.
Thanks, I'll look for it next time. Any instructions you can share on how to find the setting?

also, how about the constant loud air flow sound even when the fan speed is on low? Is that normal or does that happen when the driver side is not the main override control for all?

Old 01-15-2017, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by CLKFAN
Thanks, I'll look for it next time. Any instructions you can share on how to find the setting?

also, how about the constant loud air flow sound even when the fan speed is on low? Is that normal or does that happen when the driver side is not the main override control for all?

I have a button that reads "SYNC"... I believe that has to be ON>

Don t notice any airflow issues.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:56 PM
hollynitro is on a distinguished road
i think.. there's something wrong with the car .. if there's vibration on the steering wheel .. like you said in your story..

Old 01-15-2017, 01:22 PM
verdugo135 is on a distinguished road
Both my panameras have a button that reads "mono" to sync both sides. As for your fan speed problem ive never seen it

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.