Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear spoiler damage possible by ice?

Old 01-08-2017, 10:50 AM
vanbellebart is an unknown quantity at this point
Rear spoiler damage possible by ice?

I carefully removed all ice around the rear spoiler when getting the snow off my car this weekend. I then was wondering if any remaining ice could potentially jam the rear spoiler and damage the mechanism.

Just wondering how **** I need to be with cleaning ice off the car.

Thanks,

Old 01-11-2017, 07:57 AM
OEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by vanbellebart
I carefully removed all ice around the rear spoiler when getting the snow off my car this weekend. I then was wondering if any remaining ice could potentially jam the rear spoiler and damage the mechanism.

Just wondering how **** I need to be with cleaning ice off the car.

Thanks,
I'm sure it possibly could, but I would also think that the German engineers would have put some thought into that during the design phase. But I would suggest either trying to find a garage, or cover for your car during snow storms, or manually put up the spoiler before snow which means it wouldn't have to fight ice to open up.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:50 AM
Well, the long and short of it is, that the spoiler just works. Accompanied by a sound that would scare the socks off a Titanic survivor, the spoiler just extended, dislodging the ice in the process.

There was not a lot of ice, it just partially filled in the seam.

Garaging is not an option - more valuable trinkets in there! I guess I have to be more diligent keeping the back of the car clean.

Thanks,

Old 01-11-2017, 02:35 PM
OEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura about
Well, the long and short of it is, that the spoiler just works. Accompanied by a sound that would scare the socks off a Titanic survivor, the spoiler just extended, dislodging the ice in the process.

There was not a lot of ice, it just partially filled in the seam.

Garaging is not an option - more valuable trinkets in there! I guess I have to be more diligent keeping the back of the car clean.

Thanks,
Duly noted. Well now just keep the spoiler up when it snows...and you don't have to worry about the noise

Old 01-14-2017, 09:38 AM
negb is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by OEkun1
Duly noted. Well now just keep the spoiler up when it snows...and you don't have to worry about the noise
exactly !

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	my PTS 14.01.2017.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	467689  
Old 01-16-2017, 01:23 PM
robhamster has a spectacular aura aboutrobhamster has a spectacular aura about
The spoiler on my 2012 Panamera 4S was damaged by ice and the motor was replaced under warranty. I now have a 2014 PTT with the bigger wing and have learned to keep it in the up position whenever ice and snow are a possibility, as the poor thing does not get a slot in the garage these days.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:17 PM
Ride4Life Rossi is an unknown quantity at this point
I just keep mine up all the time during winter.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:55 PM
Emerging Sponsor
atwong1 will become famous soon enough
Just curious. Has anyone got a picture of the power connectors of the GTS spoiler and the regular spoiler side by side? Are they different? and how different?

Old 11-08-2017, 03:21 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
reviving old thread... How can you keep it up perm? Mine cycles down after another re start. Other question, if you leave it up overnight during snow/ice what will happen when it tries to close with ice/snow inside?

Old 11-08-2017, 05:55 PM
The button on tunnel makes my spoiler stay up permanently. I don't know why yours would be different.

When I did leave it up last winter, I found that the space between the spoiler and the body did fill up with snow and ice, almost impossible to clear completely. Then again I don't know how much one would need to clean out / leave in.

I'm thinking to unplug the spoiler. It's not that I can break 85Mph anywhere anyways.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:06 PM
NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !
I'm thinking to unplug the spoiler. It's not that I can break 85Mph anywhere anyways.
That's sad. We often get up to 85 before we even notice around here.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:34 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
The button on tunnel makes my spoiler stay up permanently. I don't know why yours would be different.

When I did leave it up last winter, I found that the space between the spoiler and the body did fill up with snow and ice, almost impossible to clear completely. Then again I don't know how much one would need to clean out / leave in.

Strange, the button on mine puts it up but on the next key cycle (or two) it goes back down. Mine automatically goes up at less than 85MPH too.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:19 AM
riden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura about
The spoiler goes up to first position at 60mph on my 2014 PGTS and retracts at 40mph. Goes to position 2 at a much higher speed or whenever sport plus is engaged. The first position improves fuel mileage according to Porsche. The spoiler stays up if manually deployed even if the car is turned off. Does the next generation operate similarly?

Old 11-10-2017, 05:50 AM
yes, mine deploys up and stays up after I turn car off BUT goes back down on next start. 2015

Old 11-10-2017, 09:19 AM
riden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura about
Interesting. Wonder why they changed the software or is this something the dealer can program?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.