Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Panamera Turbo vs Audi RS7 - Personal observations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 12:33 PM
bobolouie is on a distinguished road
Porsche Panamera Turbo vs Audi RS7 - Personal observations

I purchased a 2010 Porsche Panamera Turbo used with 20K miles and drove it for 3 years/40K miles more. Sold to purchase a 2014 Audi RS7 with 18K miles, now after 1 year with 30 K miles. Below are my thoughts on the 2 cars – purely subjective, so please don’t take this as gospel.

Interior:
Panamera has a bit more finished interior with less plastic; for example the dash is covered in leather vs some sort of plastic like material in the Audi. Large plastic divider between the rear seats in the Audi another example. But Audi has a lot of nice carbon fiber that is not extra. Alcantara liner in the Audi was a 1K option; Porsche Alcantara liner a bit more plush. With both cars can put 2 golf bags in the trunk with the rear seats up. Heated seats are equal in both. Lighted “RS7” doorplates front and rear standard on Audi. Although the official interior numbers for both cars are very similar; there is a bit more rear seat head room in the Porsche.

Seating – 18 way in the Panamera vs 14 in the Audi . I found the seats in the Porsche a bit more supportive, and found that the manual leg support extension in the Audi tends to move on its own vs the electronic version in the Porsche.
Both the Porsche and Audi seats look nice in black, but I am particular to the diamond stitching in the Audi

Instruments – layout is vs nice in both, and I didn’t find using the touch screen in the Porsche any better than the rotary dial/keypad in the Audi. I am particular to the row of buttons in the Porsche center console – it gives the car a unique look.

Stereo – Porsche Burmeister vs Audi B and O. Both systems sounds great, but the Audi has somewhat better spacial imaging and much cleaner, fuller bass.

Electronic interface – The Audi takes longer to engage or boot up various systems. For example, when you put the car in reverse it takes 2-3 seconds for the backup camera to put an image on the center console screen as your rolling backward. Even longer lag time for the MMI system in the Audi to boot up for the radio or the phone contact list.
The Audi backup camera image is less crisp, and is affected by changing light/shadows vs Porsche PCM system.
Navigation is about the same for both in regards to accuracy and ease of use.

Driving aids – the Porsche parking aids automatically activate at low speed and in proximity to close objects; the Audi has a similar system but does not automatically activate; you need to push a button to activate, which is a bit of a pain. Lane changing sensors and adaptive cruise the same in both. Audi has a “pre crash “sensor which chimes if you are approaching a car too fast – works well. “Hill hold” feature on Audi works seamlessly, Porsche system was glitchy and would sometimes grab while rolling to a stop on a hill.

Driving impression – I never drive these cars at their full potential, as a track would be required and more skill than I posses. Therefore, these comments are more real world every day driving.

Shifting from normal mode to sport mode is a bit easier in the Audi, where one just pulls the shift lever backward, vs the P car when you need to hit the correct button on the center console. There is no sport plus mode in the Audi. Porsche - Transmission shifting is slower in normal mode, with delay in the transmission downshifting with pedal depression. In the Porsche, going to sport mode made the shifting more responsive to pedal depression, but also made the shifting less smooth. and just held the revs too high for normal commuting. The Audi feels just right in regular mode, and in dynamic mode similar to Porsche sport mode.
0-60 stomp the pedal acceleration – although the Audi does not have launch mode, it just seems quicker off the line with a constant pouring on of power; perhaps a function of a bit more torque compared to the Porsche. Various car magazines give 0-60 times of 3.4 and 3.7 for Audi/Porsche respectively, so on paper pretty close to my subjective feel of acceleration .

Ride quality – The Audi is quieter and smoother over rough roads than the Porsche, even when riding on 21 inch rims as compared to 20’s on the Porsche.
Other “noise issues “ – the Porsche has very noisy rear hatch motors, noisy A/C fan motor and ridiculously noisy air compressor for the suspension, all which are unnoticeable in operation on the Audi.
Brakes – non ceramic on both, both equally impressive. Brake dust on rims less on Audi; both squeal at times but overall much worse on Porsche.
Oil consumption presumed due to turbos– 1 quart per 5K miles on Porsche, Audi none at all.
Exhaust tone – Audi is much more raucous , particularly in dynamic mode – lots of backfiring and burbles – more like a GTS sound. Panamera is more subdued until the 2014 year.

Snow - The Porsche and the Audi both with separate snow tires/rims was great with several major New England snow dumps. You can also adjust the ride height for both when you want to try to clear the front lip.

Yep, the Porsche is a bit more of a standout in the crowd in regards to looks, which is certainly subjective. Audi is more stealthy in that manner, but with front grill treatment, 21 inch rims and dual rear exhaust it looks much less pedestrian than the base model.

Cost – well, about 40 K difference between PTT and RS7 when new– and cost to own ? : lets just say I did not want to keep the PTT past the warranty period. Granted, it was the first model year for this car; and when it was not in the shop I loved driving it. The RS7 feels smaller when driving, and more like a “muscle car”, the PTT is somehow a bit more elegant, at least in a certain light.

Footnote: Just looked at the 2017 Panny turbo - absolutely love the new look in and out - will be on my short list when the RS7 bids adieu

Old 05-13-2017, 04:00 PM
OEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura about
Well written!

Old 05-13-2017, 04:55 PM
negb is on a distinguished road
Very very well written !!!

I had dilemma which one to chose +-3 years ago (PPTS or RS7)... actually I was looking/pointing mostly into RS7... and maybe because before I had only Audi's, and I still have some (very rear RS2 is one of them). But at the end I have pushed the button for PannyPTS
Hardly can say way, but no regrets for sure at the end.
Actually and shortly talking this video fully covers my choice:

Old 05-14-2017, 11:40 PM
amgpan is an unknown quantity at this point
Had anyone noticed in the figure 8 testing how much bodyroll the RS7 has compared to the PTT. The PTT has virtually none. its like its rolling opposite.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:31 AM
Paul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond repute
I had a 2014 RS7, and traded it for a 2012 Panamera Turbo S.

I agree with much of the original post with some additional comments.

1) The RS7's ZF 8 speed is indeed smoother for typical intown driving. The paddles are fun but just an accessory that offers zero real benefit. The ZF is perfectly matched to that 4.0 and torque is instant down low. I loved it. It also sounded way better than the Porsche in dynamic mode, gurgling and popping.....as well as getting sub 10mpg in town when in that mode and having fun. Its THIRSTY in dynamic mode.

The PDK on the other hand drives and feels like a manual. It blips and revs and all the feel of a clutch is right there. It actually is by designed sluggish in normal mode for lazy driving (arguably too sluggish yes). In sport mode, and particularly sport chrono its loud, high reving, and very stiff shifting. Its uncanny on how it times shifting on its own, and very quick if you override it with the paddles. The big difference here is that the Porsche gets tighter and better the harder you drive it whereas the Audi RS7 gets looser and less responsive the harder you drive the car. Also the PDK drives better (smoother that is) actually USING the paddles than when leaving in auto mode. This is the first car I've ever driven where that is true to a very noticeable degree. You can drive the PTTS like a manual.

2) Interior wise the Porsche is overall better. I don't get the quieter comment about the RS7. There was way more tire and road noise in my Audi RS7 by a considerable margin. The Porsche PDK is louder, I think the engine might even be louder when you get on it, but at least for me, the Porsche is much more isolated from the outside. The tightness and overall build quality is better in the Porsche, by a margin, not a huge one. Porsche seat leather and panels shows zero wear after nearly 50,000 miles. The Audi had noticeable creasing though no cracks. The Audi is a bit more sparse and sport being the same as base models. The Porsche more classy and for sure more special and expensive looking since all the Panamera have the same level of finish.

The Audi is very nice, and very nicely styled particularly with the quilted stitched seats. I find the Porsche 14 way (non adaptive) more comfortable than the Audi Sport seats particularly on longer drives. Audi has more modern tech being a couple years newer, but I haven't felt behind in the Porsche. I actually prefer the buttons to going through menu's for everything, but I didn't find the joystick Audi system bad at all once, in fact I'd prefer that to a touch screen as it keep the screens finger print free! I don't like the iPad on the dash look of screens nor the motorized systems. I prefer the dash clear, as what the Porsche offers. The gauge cluster is pretty even on both. Audi is maybe a hair nicer looking over all but I do like how the Panamera gauges are laid out. The back seat in the Porsche is considerably more comfortable.

3) Overall power? Without driving them back to back, I can't say. I didn't notice a power drop. The launch control of the PTTS is WAY more brutal. The first time I used it I did it by accident and wasn't ready for it. Flooring it at speed seems about the same. I really haven't seen true races between the RS7 and the S (they are always the base turbo) but they seem very close. The Audi has noticeably more torque down low, and this makes it more smooth and ideal for daily driving. I was a betting person I'd say its a drivers race through the 1/4 and the RS7 will still pull a bit at higher speed runs, though since the S is tuned specifically for this, it should be much closer than the base turbo. IF you want to tune your car, the Audi RS7 is a way better choice (though they are not bullet proof at all).

4) Suspension. There is where the Porsche shines and its not just because that what the reviews say. I have the S which has all the PDCC, PASM, and PVT+ options. Its just glued to the road. Its particularly noticeable on harsh roads which is just feels connected at all times. The Audi isn't a slouch, but you can feel it getting to the edge of its capability at times, and its more effected by uneven roads. Specifically merging under hard acceleration, the RS7 would get really squirly. Now perhaps this is just because the torque is so much so fast that the suspension can't deal with it I don't know. Perhaps the Porsche Torque management is just tuned better to keep the car planted. I don't know. What I do know the is Porsche is more poised, solid and has the right amount of body control. I noticed this the first time I test drove the Panamera. The Panamera lets you feel small bumps and imperfections, and then floats over larger uneven roads. The RS7 hides all the little stuff, but doesn't seem to deal with larger uneven surfaces in terms of keeping the car planted. Both are very good.

5) Maintenance is actually considerably cheaper in the Porsche. The brakes are cheaper (and I'm not talking the carbon in either car). The RS7 wave rotors wear out very quickly, are super expensive and have almost zero aftermarket options. The Porsche has fewer and longer intervals between all fluids. The Audi dealer costs for anything are ridiculously expensive, and almost everything take the dealer to program it. (You can get programmer for both cars to save on some that that for oil changes). The fluid services seem cheap in the Porsche as well, and you don't even need to service the Transmission until 60,000+ miles after the initial break in service.

You can't go wrong with either cars. They are different flavors of apples, but I'd say both probably apples.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:25 AM
Deezflip is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Paul Rathjen
3) Overall power? Without driving them back to back, I can't say. I didn't notice a power drop. The launch control of the PTTS is WAY more brutal. The first time I used it I did it by accident and wasn't ready for it. Flooring it at speed seems about the same. I really haven't seen true races between the RS7 and the S (they are always the base turbo) but they seem very close. The Audi has noticeably more torque down low, and this makes it more smooth and ideal for daily driving. I was a betting person I'd say its a drivers race through the 1/4 and the RS7 will still pull a bit at higher speed runs, though since the S is tuned specifically for this, it should be much closer than the base turbo. IF you want to tune your car, the Audi RS7 is a way better choice (though they are not bullet proof at all).

Agreed. All the comparison I've seen claiming it to be a Turbo S against the RS7...is actually the standard Turbo or the Turbo with the Powerkit. Also heard a few saying that the Turbo S is basically the same thing as Turbo with the Powerkit. How much more?...I have no idea. Others are saying no way... Turbo S is different and more than Turbo w/ Powerkit. Lots of claims but no actual videos...a nice convincing video

With that said, I haven't seen a true comparison between the Turbo, Turbo tuned, or the Turbo w/ Powekit, vs Turbo S either.

but agreed with everyone that you can't go wrong with either or any of these cars

Last edited by Deezflip; 04-22-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:44 AM
Paul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond repute
Cool

Originally Posted by Deezflip
Agreed. All the comparison I've seen claiming it to be a Turbo S against the RS7...is actually the standard Turbo or the Turbo with the Powerkit. Also heard a few saying that the Turbo S is basically the same thing as Turbo with the Powerkit. How much more?...I have no idea. Others are saying no way... Turbo S is different and more than Turbo w/ Powerkit. Lots of claims but no actual videos...a nice convincing video

With that said, I haven't seen a true comparison between the Turbo, Turbo tuned, or the Turbo w/ Powekit, vs Turbo S either.

but agreed with everyone that you can't go wrong with either or any of these cars

There just aren't a lot of the Turbo S on the road. I've hardly see Panameras in my neck of the woods, rarely see a GTS or a Turbo, and I have never seen another S - that's part of the charm. Most tuners have said even after the tuning the S still has a little advantage though not much when doing aftermarket tuning. Cars vary from car to car too, but I would bet the base turbo with a powerkit is still going to get slightly out pulled by an S and may or may not have all of the other suspension items the S has. The Audi is a beat though, I bet the 100-180 acceleration is better in a straight line for the RS7, but its going to feel a lot more all over the road and less stable. Ask me how I know ...…...

You don't get the Panamera for drag racing though its pretty good at it. There is always going to be someone faster. Teslas are going to still outperform on 0-60 and 1/4 miles runs anyway. But I always ask "how long is the race?" "How fast are we going and for how long?" You want a car to drive for a few hours at 150mph, the Panamera is going to do that all day every day for 400 miles on a full tank and be near 20mpg ( near 30 if you're around 80mph). "Are you on a track?" "What kind of track?" "How many laps".

Another thing that gets lost, sure you can take any car and trick it out at the factory and make it set a good Ring time. Often times it ends up driving like a F(*&9#@# brick the rest of the time. Take the CIVIR TYPE R or the Stelvio QV. The both look good, and are great on a track, impressive even. They also ride like ****, are loud as ****, have stiff seats, rattle, and maybe even lose creature comforts. Even the RS7 Plus with Dynamic suspension (which if I remember correctly replace the air for an active more conventional set up) rides like absolute poo from what I've heard which takes away the charm of what the RS7 is.

The Panamera is a do almost everything car, that is still as roomy and comfortable as a Mercedes S class if you want it to be. It doesn't sacrifice anything in order to set Ring times. If Porsche wanted to make a track specific version with a wider track, more aggressive suspension, barely street legal tires, wings, specialized body panels for down force, a bump in horsepower and an aggressive PDK tune they could. That would kind of defeat the whole point of the Panamera as a concept. The RS7 really is a very similar concept, just a very tiny amount less refined which is reflected in its better price point as compared to the Panamera.

You know what I will say. I drive the Panamera is Sport Chrono Manual shift mode almost half of all time spent in the car. Its completely manageable and comfortable in that mode. It actually shifts better as a sort of manual experience with the paddles. I've never had another similar car where this has been the case. CTSV nope. Drove in auto almost all the time. 300SRT. Nope automatic was much smoother. Jeep SRT. Nope the ZF was much better just letting its do its thing. The RS7 same story, although I did use the paddles a bit to get as much exhaust cackling as possible!

Old 04-24-2019, 01:46 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by amgpan
Had anyone noticed in the figure 8 testing how much bodyroll the RS7 has compared to the PTT. The PTT has virtually none. its like its rolling opposite.
Exactly. I own a PTT with PDCC and it is FLAT in the turns/corners. Really quite something awesome for such a heavy vehicle.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.