Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough idle cold start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 04:48 PM
Kavon Jackson is an unknown quantity at this point
Rough idle cold start

Hello I have a 2012 panamera 50k I have a rough idle cold start when car warms up idles fine I changed coils spark plugs cleaned throttle body and put a new oil engine separator thier is no check engine light on any suggestions before I take it to dealer

Old 04-07-2019, 07:49 AM
AluminumMistress is an unknown quantity at this point
How rough is it? How much fluctuation are you seeing in the engine speed? A quick vid may be best.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:09 AM
When I crank it up it idles good when throttle body closes it start idling rough feels like a misfire not like engine jumping around but not running smooth I added fuel cleaner no change after car warms up it drives fine only thing I think is vacuum leak or oxygen sensor or throttle body I reset it yesterday with the 60 seconds key turn 15 off 5 on still no change

Old 04-07-2019, 01:21 PM
DogWood will become famous soon enoughDogWood will become famous soon enough
temperature thing does makes it sound like a O2 sensor as you suggested, you should get something like a iCarSoft or durmetric to read any codes produced

Old 04-07-2019, 03:53 PM
No check engine light on can codes still appear when theirs no check engine

Old 04-07-2019, 04:20 PM
DogWood will become famous soon enoughDogWood will become famous soon enough
if it was the O2, then I believe the check engine light should be lite as it is generally for emissions, but it is possible to get codes without the light coming on.(depending on what it is for)

Old 04-07-2019, 08:46 PM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like a leaky gasket .. throttle or intake ..

Old 04-08-2019, 05:11 AM
tallpaul is on a distinguished road
I don't think OBD-II and later cars look at O2 sensor during cold start (open loop). Most O2 sensors require heat to work, so cars ignore them when they are cold. This means the ECU is relaying purely on its calculated airflow numbers + fuel map at this stage. Rough idle is usually caused because what the ECU sees as airflow (and matches with fuel) isn't reality.

Many of these have been mentioned in this thread, but a few to check that relate specifically to airflow/temp in open loop:

1) Air leak is definitely a likely choice - you can do a smoke or pressure test - since this would easily cause a change in air into the engine compared to the reading
2) Bad EGR - an emissions control device that routes heat back into the intake in a cold car. IF the air is colder than the ECU thinks, it's density would be wrong.
3) Bad MAF reading
4) Intake valve leak/TB issue
5) Coolant temp sensor

You may be able to pick up what is wrong with a Durametric reading numbers, but the challenge is knowing what they should be. Unless something is obviously out of range, the only real option is logical testing of components.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:48 AM
Paul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond repute
You checked and changed the plugs. Were any of the coil packs borderline?

You could also try some CRC, or seafoam fuel system cleaner - and I don't me what you dump in the tank. I'm talking about the stuff you spray through the throttle body to clean the intake system and valves. My idled better after I did this, in addition to running some seafoam through the gas tank. Its worth a shot, just make sure after you pull off the intake plenum split you cover it up so you don't spray anything on the sensors. Also make sure whatever you do to cover it up, is secure and won't get sucked into the throttle body while you're going through the cleaning process!!

Old 04-08-2019, 04:00 PM
Gabbypig is on a distinguished road
Don't discount the possiblility of needing new engine mounts!

Old 04-24-2019, 03:11 PM
Motor mounts

Hello yes it was the motor mounts that was giving me the vibration and also I had to replace two crankshaft sensors on panamera I only did sensors at local shop that deal with Porsches parts and labor ran me 693.00 will do motor mounts soon did anyone ever tried to do motor mounts on a panamera