Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

80k Mile Service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 01:35 AM
KNGZKID is on a distinguished road
80k Mile Service

Porsche Nashville wants $1650 for 80k service. Is this a deal or a steal?

Old 11-27-2017, 06:32 AM
striped91 is an unknown quantity at this point
The attached picture shows the "Porsche Panamera-Service and Maintenance Elements". Other than "checking" most of them, you really only get the following service (highlighted yellow):

Replace Transmission Fluid
Replace Pollen Filter
Replace Air Cleaner
Replace Oil and Filter
Replace Spark Plugs

A true do-it-yourselfer will be able to perform all of this service in their own driveway for the cost of the parts alone. Of course you will need a service light reset tool (got mine on eBay for $150) to reset the reminder afterwards. Unless I'm missing something, I'm certain that you could get the parts for way less than $1650. If you need any help, let me know. I'm close to you in HSV.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Panamera Maintenance.JPG
Views:	378
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	516926  
Old 11-27-2017, 07:42 AM
KNGZKID is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Awesome response. Discernment told me it was overkill on the price but I would never sacrifice safety to save a few bucks.

I will def pursue a more feasible option.

Thank you kind Sir!

Old 11-27-2017, 07:48 AM
riden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura about
Could be wrong but I though the transmission oil change required software to get most of it changed. I would check with the dealer on this. Maybe that is for the clutch fluid.

Old 11-27-2017, 03:44 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
The trans fluid is not a simple DIY, the engine air filter requires removal of front bumper. Feel comfortable with that?
Spark plugs are doable if you are inclined. Pollen filter about 3 mins..
Oil change, you know what that s about.
Not sure if you are asking about price only or will attempt yourself.
Not sure I would let anyone other than dealer do the trans fluid. Maybe a good INDY shop would be a little cheaper.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:13 AM
Victory007 is on a distinguished road
The trans fluid drain and refill itself does not seem overly hard. Basically remove the bottom cover. Open the drain plug and drain it out and refill. There are some checks that the tech would do (or not as is often the case - check the level drive it check again, etc), but, IMO if you can change your oil (and can change the air filters) you should have the ability to change the trans fluid.

Last edited by Victory007; 11-30-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:45 PM
And front bumper removal and reinstallation is a piece of cake. It takes no more than 15 minutes, and can be done without an assistant. Build yourself a CAI (like I did) while it's off.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170409_135106.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	814.6 KB
ID:	517022  
Old 12-11-2017, 11:41 AM
OEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by striped91
And front bumper removal and reinstallation is a piece of cake. It takes no more than 15 minutes, and can be done without an assistant. Build yourself a CAI (like I did) while it's off.
I agree, so why keep the airbox if you have your new CAI?

Old 12-11-2017, 11:57 AM
riden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura about
Would like to eliminate the muffling of the intake noise. The GTS pipes some to the interior but it’s barely audible to me. It’s not audible Like the old V8s I ran with aftermarket air filter systems.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by OEkun1
I agree, so why keep the airbox if you have your new CAI?
It seems to be the best place to store it for now...😎

Old 12-15-2017, 07:06 AM
OEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by striped91
It seems to be the best place to store it for now...😎
Touche, well played!

Old 12-22-2017, 01:00 AM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Victory007
The trans fluid drain and refill itself does not seem overly hard. Basically remove the bottom cover. Open the drain plug and drain it out and refill. There are some checks that the tech would do (or not as is often the case - check the level drive it check again, etc), but, IMO if you can change your oil (and can change the air filters) you should have the ability to change the trans fluid.
Transmission Fluid is not easy to replace, you need to jack the car evenly. I believe Porsche needs to update the transmission service programming / Adaptation?
I have to bite the bullet to let my Porsche dealer performing transmission service only. The good thing is my porsche dealer matches their price with Indy guys.

The rest of 80K service you can do it yourself.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:20 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
I would agree - save yourself $1200 and do yourself.
I recently posted most of the steps for each of the service items, except trans fluid replace.

SERVICE ITEMS:
1. Replace Transmission Fluid
2. Replace Pollen Filter
3. Replace Air Cleaner
4. Replace Oil and Filter
5. Replace Spark Plugs

1. Transmission fluid:
Nothing to it.

Requirements/general steps:
a. Level car
b. Durametric (etc) helpful, can be done with thermal temperature meter (replacement done at 40C fluid to measure proper amount of transmission fluid).
c. Transmission filter (buy one), and seal (comes with filter I believe)
d. Transmission pan gasket (buy one)
e. Transmission fluid - Pentosene FFL3 is oem fluid from what I remember. 10 quarts. NAPA has the flulid, can be found online for $13/quart
f. Pump to put trans fluid into transmission through drain plug hole (15 bucks at autozone)

Process very simple. Level car on stands, I warm up trans a bit, drain all fluid (keep track of how much came out), remove pan/filter, replace filter with seal, clean out pan edge and pan itself to make sure perfectly smooth. Replace pan with new gasket and torque to spec (MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW TIGHTEN SEQUENCE FOR BOLTS - KEEP GASKET PLACED PROPERLY). Then add 5 or 6 quarts, then turn car on, with brakes on, shift through all gears slowly a few times. Turn car off. Add 2 more quarts. Start car, shift few more times (remember transmission pan drain plug is still not on). Make sure you read temp off transmission pan. When temp is 40C, you should have all your fluid pumped in and it should start overflowing and start draining through the trans drain plug hole. Once you are at that point, close drain plug with new gasket, all set. Wipe down everything clean to monitor for future inspections.
Total cost for this job is about $150 for filter, gasket, seal, another $130 for fluid. Total about $300.

2. Pollen filter - aka cabin filter
Takes maybe 5 minutes. I posted DIY for it. So simple if you go to dealer to replace, you should be banned from operating cars. Period. Filter cost is about $20

3. Air cleaner - aka air filter aka air intake filter
Although it may sound daunting, removing bumper is a joke on this car. I posted DIY for doing this (along with supporting DIYs removing headlight, removing bumper). Short job, but take your time, no one is rushing you. New air filter cost is about $50 shipped OEM.

4. Oil and filter replacement
This is a very simple procedure. I posted DIY video on how to do this. No brainer again.
Need stands or ramps to do (get under).
Longest part is really removing the lower engine splash shield.
Once shield out, and metal cross brace out, you have access to drain oil, drain/replace oil filter. Tighten drain plug with new washer (or replace drain plug if looking worn at 8mm hex head). For Pana Turbo, put in 10 quarts with oil filter change (is there any such thing anymore as no oil filter change?).
Do not put shrouds on yet, start car, idle for a bit, make sure nothing is leaking. Now reinstall metal cross brace and lower engine splash shield. Torque all bolts to spec. Take car for a drive 10 minutes will do it. Check oil level reading on multi function screen. Add oil to get to max (each segment is about 250cc or one glass full of oil). So if you are 2 segments low, add 2 glasses worth of oil or half a quart. Drive again and repeat until oil reading says you are at max (all segments filled and display green).
DONE.
Oil filter OEM cost about $10 bucks. Oil cost synthetic (I used castrol edge 5W40), at autozone was about$30/5 quarts, so total $60 for oil
Total cost for oil change is about $80 bucks including any taxes.

5. Spark plug replacement
To do this, inspect each spark plug and each coil. This appears a very simple job, with the back coils/plugs being a bit tight but very doable. Seen several DIYs on this.
Do not know exact price but coils should be about $50/coil (total $400 ONLY IF YOU MUST REPLACE ALL OF THEM), plus $100 for 8 plugs.
Worst case total for this job would be $500. Often, coils do not need replacement, diagnostic tools very useful to read if there are codes for these replacements. Replace all plugs, and only those coils that have cracks in them. After plugs replaced, if errors still show in diagnostic tool, replace appropriate coil.
Very simple job overall.

So as you see, if you want to do on your own, you will actually take better care of your own car than some mechanic that wants to hurry up to not miss his lunch hour or hang out time with buddies. Trust me, been to dealerships many times and observed closely. Have friends work as mechanics there. Heard the stories.
Morale of the story - do your own work as much as you can. Saves you $$$ and hassle later on. Gets you to know your car and be in position to act BEFORE things happen. Then, that will save you even more $$$.

In all you look to spend about $400 in most cases.
At worst, your cost would be about $900 if all coils require replacement. I heard Porsche was learning their coil work on the Cayennes, so hope it is sorted out now.

As you can see, if dealer wants to charge you $1700, they would spend even less on parts (dealer pricing), and you would be giving them more than 1K for turning screwdriver here and there. I prefer to keep the 1K and DIY.

Good luck.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:39 AM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
Transmission Fluid, you may need to have reset adaptation from Porsche. I have 2016 PAN4 I brought it in to Porsche FJ in the bay area for other warranty work, I did ask them about the future transmission service @ 60K. They quote me around $700 and reset adaptation. Please check with your local Porsche, PDK is same for all PAN.

Good job you did all major service. That is few $K saving there.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:51 PM
bebeqq1231 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dougcayenne
Transmission Fluid, you may need to have reset adaptation from Porsche. I have 2016 PAN4 I brought it in to Porsche FJ in the bay area for other warranty work, I did ask them about the future transmission service @ 60K. They quote me around $700 and reset adaptation. Please check with your local Porsche, PDK is same for all PAN.

Good job you did all major service. That is few $K saving there.

Wow $700. Porsche of South Shore quote me $1450 not included TAX for my GTS. What a ripped off

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.