Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Panamera S owners check in-- Oil consumption and Cylinder Scoring?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 01:39 AM
newporsche is an unknown quantity at this point
is it ok to mix 5w40 motul (1L topup) with mobil1 0w40 (rest of oil)????

Old 12-20-2017, 04:51 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
yes, the mix will not hurt anything. it doesn t always translate to "thicker oil burns less".

Old 12-20-2017, 12:26 PM
2thfxr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by newporsche
im thinking of changing the oil to the MOTUL 5w40 oil rather than the mobil1 0w40....is the 5w40 thicker and will slow oil consumption? i also heard MOTUL is better than mobil1
This 5W40 oil is thicker only when cold so the 0 weight makes it easier to start the engine and get the oil flowing to vital engine parts. T
he 40 # is the warmed oil thickness and both are rated at 40. All 40 weight oil is the same thickness.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:55 PM
E92M3970G1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am no engineer but I wouldn't mix the viscosity of two different weights. I am replying because I believe I am in the same boat as you. Bought my 970 gen 1 just under a year ago at 37k miles on the car and put approximately 10k miles since. I needed to add 2 qt after over the first few months of ownership after getting "Min Oil Level" indicator from the car. At 40k, I changed the oil myself. Approaching 45k I began getting the "Min Oil Level" message again. I added 1 qt and changed the oil again myself at 47k. This time, after the oil change, I poured the oil that drained from the car back into the Qt containers that I just filled the car with. Unbelievably the amount I poured back filled the containers exactly, 9qt. Ran the 7 miles needed to confirm oil level and bam right at Max oil. Not sure this helps, other than I run high consumption, am crazy enough to pour and measure waste oil, and drive the car hard as a daily commuter in Houston.

Last edited by E92M3970G1; 01-19-2018 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Sorry, meant to indicate "Min Oil Level" appeared again before 47k oil change
Old 01-19-2018, 10:13 PM
hey there, so you are saying that mixing the different viscosity oils may lead to an inconsistent reading on the oil level indicator?

I have noticed that since I have started running in SPORT mode daily and driving the car slightly harder the oil consumption has decreased....does that make sense?

Old 01-20-2018, 06:08 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
0-40 or 5-40, doesn t matter unless you are in sub zero like I am, so I use 0-40. I have mixed with no issues. Still never heard mixing will cause any issue. It will just dilute one to the other. Not the issue.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:03 AM
No, sorry. Certainly didn't mean to imply mixing viscosity had anything to do with my oil levels. I was only commenting on the oil level indicated by the car and probably mixed my message by including the comment on viscosity. I refilled the spent oil in the Quart bottles to try and determine how much the car needed when it gave the "Min Oil Level" indicator. Flummoxed when the amount I took out ( which was giving the Min Oil Level) was the same as I put in which registered full with the car after the 7 mile drive to get a oil level reading.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:18 AM
Don t you hate the oil monitor system? I much prefer the old dip stick. My 911 oil would read all over the place and was very sensitive the oil temps and a slight off level ground.
As far as scored cylinders I believe you would also have a slight knocking sound in the engine esp if you are using large amounts of oil.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:16 PM
Absolutely agree, I miss the dipstick. Simple and effective. My American Muscle buddies look at me like I have three heads when I tell about the steps needed to measure oil. Its funny b/c the answer I get is that axing the dipstick was an effort to stop one more place to lose oil, then I end up with this oil thirsty closed system car. The car returns tport enjoyment so i think its worth putting up with.

Old 01-20-2018, 03:31 PM
so if the oil level indicator not even reporting accurate oil levels then how do we truly know when to top up the oil or the true consumption rate?

When the dealership tops up oil the oil level indicator always goes up so I thought that the oil level indicator was working properly. If the indicator was faulty then wouldnt it be reporting weird readings daily? (1 day minimum level, 1 day maximum level rather than a slow progression from full to empty?)

Old 01-20-2018, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by newporsche
so if the oil level indicator not even reporting accurate oil levels then how do we truly know when to top up the oil or the true consumption rate?

When the dealership tops up oil the oil level indicator always goes up so I thought that the oil level indicator was working properly. If the indicator was faulty then wouldnt it be reporting weird readings daily? (1 day minimum level, 1 day maximum level rather than a slow progression from full to empty?)
I don t think anyone saying it faulty, just maybe no so accurate under certain conditions. Same is true with a dip stick. Check it when it hot vs when it has been sitting and it may so slightly off. Don t forget, I can t remember the amount but each bar on the graph gauge is not that much at all.
If the OPer is adding full quarts then he is using oil.

Old 01-20-2018, 03:39 PM
and the sport mode should have nothing to do with oil consumption.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:19 PM
I agree with cerbomark. Whether digital oil reading or dipstick you have to know the condition. I trust my Service Adviser and when you mention taking it in to get topped off, I think that is the right move. It lets a Tech add and confirm measurement and your SA understands what is happening with the vehicle.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:09 PM
well since i started putting it in sport mode everytime and driving it a bit more aggressively it hasnt dropped any bars on the oil level display so maybe there is something to it? maybbe previous owner never drove the car hard?

also when i turn off traction control also i notice its smoother, is this common?

Old 04-19-2018, 11:19 PM
so when i did an oil change the mechanic noted some large stains on the underpanel so there may be a leak, he cleaned and ill monitor it....i took a picture of it... how do i show it on here to get peoples opinion on if its severe?