Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: Panamera Turbo Air Filter Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 10:16 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
DIY: Panamera Turbo Air Filter Replacement

Follow each video in the presented order.
Take out headlights, followed by remove bumper, then remove air filter for replacement.

Hope this will give you details you need to save few hundred bucks by doing it yourself.
Entire process will be about 3 hours (first time - subsequent shaves off an hour or so), going nice and slow, making sure to taste some beer in between tasks.

Here it goes:

Old 09-18-2018, 02:34 PM
Gilligan is an unknown quantity at this point
Those are great how to videos. Do you have one for the heater valve replacement?

Old 09-19-2018, 09:10 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Not at this time. Sorry.

Originally Posted by Gilligan
Those are great how to videos. Do you have one for the heater valve replacement?

Old 09-20-2018, 01:45 PM
negb is on a distinguished road
prepare to tap these 4 bolts, just in case, mine got snapped when unscrewing

Last edited by negb; 12-01-2021 at 03:50 PM. Reason: ....
Old 09-20-2018, 05:06 PM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
I did that @30K miles way early and replaced it with BMC filter https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/...619-V9292.aspx
The video to remove the front bumper is excellent . you may need 2 people to pull it out and put it back in the rail.
I see no change on performance. LOL ...

That's easy ... Save $500 from Porsche

Old 09-20-2018, 08:46 PM
I love saving money. I think wife loves it more.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:18 PM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
Agreed !!!

Old 09-21-2018, 06:30 AM
tallpaul is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dougcayenne
I did that @30K miles way early and replaced it with BMC filter https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/...619-V9292.aspx
The video to remove the front bumper is excellent . you may need 2 people to pull it out and put it back in the rail. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H9WfNerQm8
I see no change on performance. LOL ...

That's easy ... Save $500 from Porsche
I'm debating whether it's worth the BMC or just getting a Mahle replacement. Knowing what you know now, would you bother spending the money to get the BMC again?

I will note, I am tuning and may even consider other mods in the future, which is often when you start to see the value of the higher flow air filters.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:12 AM
IMO, I would replace with OEM vendor, instead of BMC. I was thinking same before doing mine.
Looked online, recalled some info from past experience, and decided the benefits are so little, that allowing more dirt into the engine is not worth it.
The BMC will allow more air into the engine, but will also allow more dust. Plus you have to condition the filter more often too.
Porsche already took performance into consideration at design, so going OEM is a very safe and good choice already.
If I was to try mod the car to squeeze every ounce of power, then may be different story, may choose BMC. I am not in the game of comparing 600hp vs 600.8hp.
So I chose OEM. Hard to tell anyone what to do. You must choose what you think is best per direction you are trying to go with your car.

Originally Posted by tallpaul
I'm debating whether it's worth the BMC or just getting a Mahle replacement. Knowing what you know now, would you bother spending the money to get the BMC again?

I will note, I am tuning and may even consider other mods in the future, which is often when you start to see the value of the higher flow air filters.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:25 PM
Yes, I think I would do OEM filter instead of BMC, cheaper. I normally change air filter for every 2-3 years - inexpensive. Even at 30K miles Air filter was dirty. carbin filter every year in the fall since I have an allergy.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:46 PM
tallpaul is on a distinguished road
A few thoughts I found compared to most videos when removing the bumpers.

a) When following Insane Garage instructions they advise not to disocnnect the headlight washer line because it may make a mess. This is silly - it is a very easy disconnect, didn't create a mess and made it much easier to work.
b) Watch the foam bumper pad when re-installing, if it slips out of place when putting it back it makes the re-install awkward.
c) I did the air filter change while the car was up in ramps (did oil change and other maintenance at the same time). It was actually easier flat on the ground.
d) It is easier for a second person to help, but I was able to do the removal and re-install by myself without assistance.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:42 AM
stealthn is on a distinguished road
A few years back I did BMC in my Cayenne Turbo, they took out both MAF sensors which I replaced and went back to stock filter. An expensive lesson.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:52 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stealthn
A few years back I did BMC in my Cayenne Turbo, they took out both MAF sensors which I replaced and went back to stock filter. An expensive lesson.
Maybe due to the oil in the element. Go with AEM dry-flow or AFE power. (no oil)

Old 03-04-2019, 07:06 PM
Yes, if oil from filters gets onto maf wires you will have problems. Trick is to ensure filters are not drip wet when air blowing on them.