Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brighter reverse lights?? 2016 Panamera GTS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 07:51 PM
LouDA is on a distinguished road
It is also the same for the turbo models front turn signals. Cant imagine why they would have done that...

Old 01-06-2019, 08:38 PM
rgfinnegan3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by skiracer13
I think they can - there's just another step involved. I'm hoping one in my current assortment will work - I spend a lot of time in the mountains in the wintertime and would really appreciate more light back there.
I'm all ears when you find a good solution; I need more light back there too!

Old 01-06-2019, 10:15 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Interesting guys.... I'll have to remove a tail light and look into this when I get some free time. (2011 PTT)

Old 01-07-2019, 12:37 AM
970gts is on a distinguished road
Skiracer13.....if you find a way to replace the reverse lights on vehicles that don't have the removable cover, please share with the community.
Just doesn't make any sense that those bulbs wouldn't somehow be replaceable.
I couldn't see an obvious way to do it..…..hope you can figure it out.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:46 AM
skiracer13 is on a distinguished road
The video link provided by DogWood did the trick - just needed to remove 2 more Torx bolts to access the bulb holder. Unfortunately I don't have the right size bulb in my LED inventory so I ordered a pair of these (kind of pricey - but I went w/ the highest output which are also the shorter so they should fit better):

https://www.carid.com/lumen/tail-lig...IaAlHCEALw_wcB

I should have them installed in a week or so and will report back.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:54 AM
DogWood will become famous soon enoughDogWood will become famous soon enough
Good to hear skiracer13

I'm thinking of going with these: https://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/1156Canbus-42x3030

1100 lumens!

Old 01-08-2019, 09:14 AM
970gts is on a distinguished road
Glad the video helped some of you guys out.

Looked at the carcarkiosk video that Dogwood posted.
In part 2 of the video, about 34 seconds into it, the reverse light cover is removed by unscrewing one torx screw (which then exposes the bulb holder that is held on by 2 other torx screws).
Unfortunately, for some reason, my reverse light cover has no screw to remove the reverse light cover.
It seems like the cover and housing assembly are molded together in one piece (see pic I posted.

Any help with my dilemma to access the reverse light would still be appreciated.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:51 AM
elShiz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 970gts
Glad the video helped some of you guys out.

Looked at the carcarkiosk video that Dogwood posted.
In part 2 of the video, about 34 seconds into it, the reverse light cover is removed by unscrewing one torx screw (which then exposes the bulb holder that is held on by 2 other torx screws).
Unfortunately, for some reason, my reverse light cover has no screw to remove the reverse light cover.
It seems like the cover and housing assembly are molded together in one piece (see pic I posted.

Any help with my dilemma to access the reverse light would still be appreciated.
I know this is going to sound dumb, so I apologize, but as I don't have your taillight in front of me, have you tried pulling on that "non-removable" cover (could pull on that post sticking up)? It could be a pressure fit cover that doesn't require a screw to secure it.

I have a 2013 GTS and I've wanted to replace my reverse lights as well, so I'll need to check the housing tonight.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:52 AM
Well I finally had the chance to really dig into this issue w/ some help from a mechanic/friend but ended up hitting a wall. It turns out the bulb is soldered to the mounts of Porsche's proprietary reverse bulb socket - after prying the soldered connections loose and finally removing the bulb I determined the following:

1. The 1156 replacement bulb that all sites point to is too large to fit in the socket.
2. The proprietary socket that Porsche put into the Panny will not hold an 1156 bulb even if I could somehow establish an electrical connection - it would just fall out or vibrate loose over time.

So I re-installed the factory bulb and dealing w/ the reality that this situation can't be improved upon. What is required is an 1156-compatible socket that will replace Porsche's proprietary device and plug into the existing connectors.

Bummer!

Old 01-19-2019, 07:41 PM
Pulled mine apart for a better look, bulb is a PHIL16W, did a quick search, seems the base is actually part of the bulb - more of an assembly than just a bulb.

Found this:
Amazon Amazon
looks familiar, says Audi,BMW but not Porsche - I suspect we will need something along this line and not a simple bulb

Old 01-19-2019, 10:12 PM
LouDA is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DogWood
Pulled mine apart for a better look, bulb is a PHIL16W, did a quick search, seems the base is actually part of the bulb - more of an assembly than just a bulb.

Found this: https://www.amazon.com/GFJMC-Backup-...keywords=ph16w
looks familiar, says Audi,BMW but not Porsche - I suspect we will need something along this line and not a simple bulb
Nice job. What do the connectors look like? Wonder if something can be fabbed?

Old 01-20-2019, 07:19 AM
I just ordered the Amazon pair - due to arrive on Wednesday. I'll try installing them and report back - this would be a much cleaner solution than trying to retrofit an 1156-type socket.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:09 AM
Cool, looking forward to hearing how they work out.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:01 PM
The Amazon set I ordered arrived today and I successfully installed them per the procedure and photo's below. I'm not seeing the lighting improvement I was hoping for, but will try again when it gets dark. The 2nd side took me less than 5 mins w/ no pics to take along the way!

Pic w/ OEM reverse lights on

Tools needed: T25 torx, T15 torx and a pry tool

Pry off cover panel

Remove single fastener w/ T25 torx

Pull entire light ***'y rearward to remove

No need to disconnect connector - simply lay the ***'y on its side on the shelf

Remove reverse light bulb cover w/ T15 torx

Remove 2 fixture fasteners w/ T15 torx

Pull out bulb fixture and remove 2 end connectors - simply pull off firmly

New LED fixture looks like it should fit

Install new LED bulb fixture using same polarity as OEM fixture

I applied double-sided tape to secure the resistor pack to the inside of the cavity, plenty of space. Reverse entire procedure to put back together then do the other side.

New LED reverse lights successfully installed, no errors present. These are 30W bulbs and I wish they were 100W!

Last edited by skiracer13; 01-22-2019 at 06:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-22-2019, 06:16 PM
Nice, glad to hear that they fit OK, is then first picture a "before"? Last picture looks whiter and brighter.
I hear you on the the 30W, there are some sketcher ones claiming up to 80W! foot print is a bit odd and reviews where mixed.

Lumens would be a better measurement to go by

Last edited by DogWood; 01-22-2019 at 06:43 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brighter reverse lights?? 2016 Panamera GTS