Notices
Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche

Brighter reverse lights?? 2016 Panamera GTS

 
  #31  
Old 01-23-2019, 07:29 AM
skiracer13's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Colorado
Age: 59
Posts: 158
Rep Power: 8
skiracer13 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DogWood View Post
Nice, glad to hear that they fit OK, is then first picture a "before"? Last picture looks whiter and brighter.
I hear you on the the 30W, there are some sketcher ones claiming up to 80W! foot print is a bit odd and reviews where mixed.

Lumens would be a better measurement to go by
I did find a pair of 50W bulbs in this same PH16W bulb type - of course they say they don't fit a Panamera but these 30W bulbs weren't supposed to work either. I may give them a try when I return from a long road trip next month.
 
  #32  
Old 01-23-2019, 08:34 AM
skiracer13's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Colorado
Age: 59
Posts: 158
Rep Power: 8
skiracer13 is on a distinguished road
I just ordered a pair of these to try as they appear to be 100W output:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Erro...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'll report back when they've been installed.
 
  #33  
Old 01-23-2019, 09:42 AM
DogWood's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Bend, Oregon
Age: 56
Posts: 457
Rep Power: 20
DogWood is on a distinguished road
nice find, glad you are willing to try these out.

found this part of the description amusing

1.Top A Quality with 1 YEARS Warranty by Kaizen-GT LED that confirm to be manufacturer defect.



also found a lumen rating: 850 <- give a nice solid (well, relatively solid) thing to compare against
 

Last edited by DogWood; 01-23-2019 at 02:00 PM.
  #34  
Old 01-23-2019, 10:05 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2018
Age: 36
Posts: 65
Rep Power: 0
elShiz is an unknown quantity at this point
Welp, unless I want to either dremel the sealed area, then rtv closed, or buy all new taillights with removable bulbs, I'm sol. Why on earth did Porsche make two different models of taillights for the exact same car (970 pre-facelift)?
 
  #35  
Old 01-23-2019, 11:24 AM
DogWood's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Bend, Oregon
Age: 56
Posts: 457
Rep Power: 20
DogWood is on a distinguished road
yeah that is rather odd, I beleive you should be able to find the 'door' piece separately should you decide to pop the fixed part - also used parts are available for ~300 (just make sure they open) (ouch)
if you do go midevil on it, I would try just one first
 
  #36  
Old 01-23-2019, 02:19 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2018
Age: 36
Posts: 65
Rep Power: 0
elShiz is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by skiracer13 View Post
I just ordered a pair of these to try as they appear to be 100W output:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Erro...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'll report back when they've been installed.
Hey Ski, would you mind doing me a solid when those new bulbs come in? Take some detailed photos of the removable cover that you and others seem to have? Maybe even a part if available? The area on the light assembly itself, is the same on both of ours, to include the raised lip that surrounds the cover once installed, and the screw hole. It's a shot in the dark, but maybe we can cut ours out and simply install the sealing cover that's available on yours. Who knows?!
 
  #37  
Old 01-23-2019, 05:03 PM
skiracer13's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Colorado
Age: 59
Posts: 158
Rep Power: 8
skiracer13 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by elShiz View Post
Hey Ski, would you mind doing me a solid when those new bulbs come in? Take some detailed photos of the removable cover that you and others seem to have? Maybe even a part if available? The area on the light assembly itself, is the same on both of ours, to include the raised lip that surrounds the cover once installed, and the screw hole. It's a shot in the dark, but maybe we can cut ours out and simply install the sealing cover that's available on yours. Who knows?!
elShiz, they're coming from China so it will be several weeks before they arrive. I took the pics you requested below - you might also want to consider finding another complete ***'y to swap with. Another idea is to ask your local dealer to show you how to change the bulb for your car maybe there's another trick? - here's that first P/N:


P/N of the entire passenger side rear light ***'y

Note the rib along the side where the screw goes thru

The cover has a foam insert that makes a seal w/ this surface - note the threaded screw hole on top to secure it

Outside of cover lists output wattage for various markets. 16W is the highest listed, so let's hope it can handle 100W!

Here's the P/N listed on the inside of the cover w/ the foam insert removed
 
  #38  
Old 01-23-2019, 08:57 PM
DogWood's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Bend, Oregon
Age: 56
Posts: 457
Rep Power: 20
DogWood is on a distinguished road
  #39  
Old 01-24-2019, 03:31 PM
skiracer13's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Colorado
Age: 59
Posts: 158
Rep Power: 8
skiracer13 is on a distinguished road
So I had a chance to drive my car last night in the dark and these new 30W reverse lights make a noticeable improvement. I don't think I'll ever be able to see really well at night via side view or rear view mirrors because my window tinting is so dark, but the backup camera image is now greatly improved. I also placed my hand on the light fixture w/ bulb on and didn't feel too much warmth. I'm pretty sure that 100W bulbs will melt something that would be $$$ to fix.

I will call this exercise a success!
 

Last edited by skiracer13; 01-24-2019 at 03:31 PM. Reason: spelling
  #40  
Old 01-24-2019, 05:53 PM
rgfinnegan3's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Santa Maria, CA
Age: 62
Posts: 25
Rep Power: 0
rgfinnegan3 is an unknown quantity at this point
I went to install the 30W bulbs, only to find that I too have the "closed" version of the backup light on my 2011 PTT. I should have checked first, before ordering the new LED's; it's easy to do, just follow skiracer13's directions. I thought for sure my car would have he newer style taillight enclosure.
 
  #41  
Old 01-24-2019, 07:52 PM
skiracer13's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Colorado
Age: 59
Posts: 158
Rep Power: 8
skiracer13 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rgfinnegan3 View Post
I went to install the 30W bulbs, only to find that I too have the "closed" version of the backup light on my 2011 PTT. I should have checked first, before ordering the new LED's; it's easy to do, just follow skiracer13's directions. I thought for sure my car would have he newer style taillight enclosure.
Maybe you do have the new style enclosure and I have the old style?
 
  #42  
Old 01-24-2019, 09:00 PM
DogWood's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Bend, Oregon
Age: 56
Posts: 457
Rep Power: 20
DogWood is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by skiracer13 View Post
Maybe you do have the new style enclosure and I have the old style?
a real possibility, what was the manufacture date of your cars? mine was 11/2009
 
  #43  
Old 01-24-2019, 09:05 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2018
Age: 36
Posts: 65
Rep Power: 0
elShiz is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by skiracer13 View Post
elShiz, they're coming from China so it will be several weeks before they arrive. I took the pics you requested below - you might also want to consider finding another complete ***'y to swap with. Another idea is to ask your local dealer to show you how to change the bulb for your car maybe there's another trick? - here's that first P/N:


P/N of the entire passenger side rear light ***'y

Note the rib along the side where the screw goes thru

The cover has a foam insert that makes a seal w/ this surface - note the threaded screw hole on top to secure it

Outside of cover lists output wattage for various markets. 16W is the highest listed, so let's hope it can handle 100W!

Here's the P/N listed on the inside of the cover w/ the foam insert removed
Ski thank you very much, really appreciate it. Comparing your pics to my assembly look identical, aside from the cover itself. I'm curious if mine is meant to be cut out in case the bulb actually goes out, and thanks to DogWood we have a link to the cover.

​​​​​I think my exercise will be to order the cover/seal/screw from the link below and then cut off my solid cover.

Originally Posted by DogWood View Post
Dude you and Ski are solid! Thank you for the link. I think I'll order #7 (cover), #8 (foam seal) and the screw, then cut out my solid cover. If it looks to fit, I'll order replacement bulbs... Welp here's goes nothin lol
 
  #44  
Old 01-24-2019, 09:17 PM
DogWood's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Bend, Oregon
Age: 56
Posts: 457
Rep Power: 20
DogWood is on a distinguished road
Good luck
 
  #45  
Old 01-25-2019, 09:21 AM
skiracer13's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Colorado
Age: 59
Posts: 158
Rep Power: 8
skiracer13 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by elShiz View Post
Ski thank you very much, really appreciate it. Comparing your pics to my assembly look identical, aside from the cover itself. I'm curious if mine is meant to be cut out in case the bulb actually goes out, and thanks to DogWood we have a link to the cover.

​​​​​I think my exercise will be to order the cover/seal/screw from the link below and then cut off my solid cover.



Dude you and Ski are solid! Thank you for the link. I think I'll order #7 (cover), #8 (foam seal) and the screw, then cut out my solid cover. If it looks to fit, I'll order replacement bulbs... Welp here's goes nothin lol
Glad to help - here's a pic of the reverse lights on my garage door - not headlights...

Very bright and very white!
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brighter reverse lights?? 2016 Panamera GTS


Join 6SpeedOnline
Visit our Sponsors

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.