Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: Panamera PDK Transmission Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 08:37 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
DIY: Panamera PDK Transmission Fluid Change

This was provided by another user, I am simply reposting so others can access info (sometimes threads get convoluted and hard to find due to multiple replies, wording, etc).

Changing PDK transmission fluid on Panamera.EDIT: Additional info added at bottom of tutorial, refers to recently found info, clarifying how many different fluids are needed for the 970 generation of Panamera PDK (at end of tutorial).

Attached is a DIY for changing fluid on Panamera PDK transmission.

Got this from a fellow forum member who happened to do the change. This should help many interested in doing maintenance on Panamera without paying thousands for it.

Speaking to shop/dealer, after 60k, filter/pan replacement not absolutely necessary (cost of the kit is about $350).

So for 60k, drain and refill fluid is fine. At 120k, you would do same fluid change, but this time replace the pan/filter as well.

Read the entire DIY before you start to get a good idea of requirements and estimate time involvement for you to complete.

Do not forget to replace the drain plug with its built in seal. Last thing you need is have a $15 part cause small leaking, and then have to put car up, open up drain plug, lose a bunch of expensive oil, just to put new drain plug in. So dont cut on this one part.

You can get the Pentosine FFL3 PDK fluid directly from Porsche, or from Pentosine resellers. Porsche will charge you triple the price for identical fluid. You choose.

Everything you need is mentioned in the DIY.

Since Durametric does not have capability to monitor PDK temperature yet, you can use an IR thermometer, when you heat up the PDK to 40 celsius, after you put in 6-8 quarts or so, and when doing final level check.

Good luck.

970 generation Panamera PDK transmission info:

• ZF is manufacturer of PDK transmission for Porsche
  • They make 2 PDK transmissions
    • One for mid & rear engine applications (911, boxter, etc)
    • Another one specifically made for the Panamera
  • Panamera PDK servicing requires two (2) fluids only (as compared to 3 fluids in other PDK car models at Porsche
    • FFL3 fluid - Gearbox & clutches - need about 9 quarts
    • Shell TF0951 - Front final drive - need about 0.4 quarts
  • Here is the info dug up from ZF on this topic:
    • "In fact, two separate DCT ranges or 'platforms' have been developed by ZF, both fitted with wet clutches, for use in Porsche's various longitudinal applications. The first is for use in the mid- and rear-engine sports cars (the 911, the Cayman and the Boxster), while a completely different platform has been developed for use in the larger Panamera. For each platform, two different torque options are available, with the 500N.m versions using an 'ND2015' clutch pack, and the 780N.m versions using an 'ND2216' clutch pack, both supplied by ZF Sachs.......
    • In terms of the oil circuit itself, two completely different approaches have been employed for the two platforms.
      • Non Panamera models: The 7DT45 and 7DT70 have two oil circuits, and hence two different oils; the first is Pentosin FFL-3 for the clutch and hydraulics, and the second is ExxonMobil Mobilube PTX 75W-90 for the gear-set and bevel gear. The oil levels have been kept as low as possible, to reduce churning losses for those moving parts that are immersed in oil.
      • Panamera: Conversely, the 7DT75 has a single oil circuit and a dry sump (to minimize churning losses), with an 'active lubrication system' to feed oil to each gear-set and clutch. This version uses only the Pentosin FFL-3 lubricant, which was developed exclusively for the ZF DCTs. One of the main reasons for using a single oil circuit is that clutch cooling is required at both ends of the transmission, for the main dual-clutch module and for the hang-on clutch used in the four-wheel-drive variant. This would have presented significant sealing complications had multiple circuits been chosen."

Bottom line:

What this means is that the Panamera PDK uses transmission design which uses one fluid compartment for the gearbox and the clutches, and another separate compartment for the final drive. Two fluids total.

Old 06-10-2023, 09:31 AM
vkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond repute
My car is now 9 years old and has 75,000km (47,000 miles). I’m not having any issues.
Every time I go to the dealer I ask if I should do coil/plugs/PDK fluid change but am told to wait until 100 000km (60,000 miles). When I review the Porsche maintenance schedule, I think some of these issues should be done based on age (not mileage). So I bought all the necessary parts from FCPEuro and am about to do a big summer service. I will be relying heavily on your DIY posts. Plan is oil change, cabin air filter, engine air filter, PDK fluid, brake fluid flush, coils/plugs, front and rear differential fluids, and rear upper shock mounts (they are creaking when cold).

My plan was to simply to do the PDK fluid and leave the transmission pan/filter. I know Porsche says fluid only at 60K and fluid/pan at 120K. Any advice if I should go the extra mile and do the pan too?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by vkb123; 06-10-2023 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-10-2023, 09:42 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Great. Read diy threads, make sure to study and know answers for any questions, then take time one at a time. Start with easy things, that will give you confidence for bigger stuff. Especially if new to mechanic stuff. Will save tons of $ good for you.

Old 06-10-2023, 09:49 AM
vkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ciaka
Great. Read diy threads, make sure to study and know answers for any questions
Thanks @ciaka! I’ve read and re-read your DIY posts so many times over the years! I’ve used them in the past too and they are so good! I carefully thought through all the jobs and sourced out all the necessary parts (most from FCPEuro and some specific items from Porsche).

Do you think it’s necessary to do the trans pan with the PDK fluid flush?

Old 06-10-2023, 09:57 AM
The trans pan has a built in filter that you should replace with pdk fluid change. Otherwise you'll get improper cooling and lubrication.
also the bolts are stretch bolts. Once you torque up, they stretch. Cn reuse but slightly higher torque then by about 2lbs.
also the seal must be replaced, make sure you thoroughly vkean and dry pan edges, with drmegreaser or brake fluid on a rag. Then clean with degreaser again.
good luck.

Glad you gmfind my dyis good to use. Thats why i made them. For others.

Old 09-02-2023, 10:05 AM
Marc13190 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi i've make my oil change on PDK SEE HERE

Old 09-02-2023, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by Marc13190
Hi i've make my oil change on PDK SEE HERE
Well done! Great quality pics too! I’m about to do this so very nice to see such clear pictures! Thank you! By the way, your write-up on the rear hatch AliExpress module was also great! Such a nice little add-on! Merci beaucoup!

Old 09-03-2023, 02:56 AM
Marc13190 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks