May as well start a build thread!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 06:33 PM
LouDA is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by stealthn
subscribed...

I’m starting with wheels in the next few weeks
Nice - any idea what you're going for? I'd give Austin at Vivid Racing a call or David at Wheelsboutique.com

Old 04-02-2019, 07:38 PM
stealthn is on a distinguished road
Looking at 3 wheels so far, sadly the HRE flowform ar3n’t available for the PTT. Looking at Ruger Mesh now. I’m in Canada so the US exchange is crushing, won’t go with wheelsboutique as he pm’d me while I enquired on another vendors threat (poor form).

right now just trying to find the cheapest nice wheels, future plans are IPD and a tune, but I also need tires for the Cayman so expenses are limited.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:33 PM
Looking at 3 wheels so far, sadly the HRE flowform ar3n’t available for the PTT. Looking at Ruger Mesh now. I’m in Canada so the US exchange is crushing, won’t go with wheelsboutique as he pm’d me while I enquired on another vendors threat (poor form).

right now just trying to find the cheapest nice wheels, future plans are IPD and a tune, but I also need tires for the Cayman so expenses are limited.
Arent HREs custom made?

Old 04-03-2019, 05:02 PM
Site Sponsor
WheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant future
We were not aware that you posted on another vendor's thread - we were actually told that you were a potential Vorsteiner lead. Since we are Vorsteiner's largest dealer in the world it's not uncommon for us to receive tips like this from users. If you need anything from us we'll be here to help.

Originally Posted by LouDA
Arent HREs custom made?
Their FlowForm series, which is the FF01, FF04, & FF15, are the only ones not custom made to order.

- David Nussbaum -
786 249 0127 (ext.2109)
Web: www.wheelsboutique.com
Email: David@wheelsboutique.com
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique

Largest HRE Dealer In The World / Largest ANRKY Dealer / BBS Premium Dealer / TechArt Premium Dealer / Vorsteiner / Rotiform / Akrapovic / iPE / Novitec / Brabus / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Brembo / RENNTech / Weistec / Tubi / Hamman / KW / H&R and tons more.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:52 PM
Ok so my liftgate struts arrived today. Porsche dealer said my left strut had gone for sure as it would raise just fine but on lowering, it would stop every inch acting as if something was obstructing it.

So, new struts.

I then got to removing the old ones - start by prying the little u-shaped clip up and it pops out.

Then I removed the lower trim which is all held on by clips:

After that, I removed the torx bolts in each side of the rest of the trim

And now I'm stuck. The rest of the trim feels wedged into place but I need to get it off as the electrics that operate the struts are right under the spoiler area. So I can fit the strut itself... but the elctrics feed through a grommet and I can't get the trim off to be able to reach the plug.

Can anyone help?

Here is the grommet:

This how far the wiring goes in:

Help

Old 04-03-2019, 10:38 PM
Ok - got trim semi unclipped. Found the connectors and got the blue one out easy but cant seem to get the black one out.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:40 PM
Replaced them finally - only took me like 3 hours Now, I cant get all the metal clips back in to replace the trim. Plus, it seems like new struts havent fixed the problem yet! I can only hope that once all the trim is back in place that it will go up and down smoothly. If not, it's back to the drawing board to diagnose the issue!

Hopefully can get it done before the Renntech lowering module arrives tomorrow.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:49 AM
Liftgate problem is still not solved but ar least it is all back together now. They struts are FAR more powerful, so clearly mine had gone or were about to. It still only closes an inch before stopping automatically as if something is blocking it.

Anyway... onto Renntech lowering!

Old 04-04-2019, 12:49 PM
DogWood will become famous soon enoughDogWood will become famous soon enough
well that sucks, hate it when you replace something only for it not to be the main problem, on the plus side it sounds like they needed updated anyway.

the system must be sensing some resistance or a larger current draw - should be fun to debug

Old 04-04-2019, 12:58 PM
Fun. Yes, that's what it is hah!

Can I say, I officially hate electronic ****. I followed the Renntech instructions, removed the kick panel etc only to find it was the bose amp (my mistake - should have researched first)

So, I then researched and found out where the actual PASM motor is... behind the tail light but inside the bodywork. Spent the last hour trying to get to it. Ive lost 1 bolt, 1 allen wrench, 1 socket extension and cut up my wrists!😑

So, that's where it is but I need more access to get to the wiring harnesses. This is a complete PITA.

That being said, she is looking sexy in the light...

Old 04-04-2019, 01:57 PM
Do love me a Silver Porsche

but you make me sick!, That garage is WAY to clean and organized!

Old 04-04-2019, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by DogWood
Do love me a Silver Porsche

but you make me sick!, That garage is WAY to clean and organized!
Haha! Yeh - gotta keep things in their place!

So car is going into the dealership tomorrow morning first thing to get the struts recalibrated which should remove the tailgate issue and they will also install the lowering module. I got to a point of nearly breaking things and would rather not 😂

Old 04-04-2019, 02:27 PM
yeah sometime you just have to know when to bring in the professionals

Old 04-04-2019, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by DogWood
yeah sometime you just have to know when to bring in the professionals
Exactly. It's going jn to have the struts recoded. Lowering done and hopefully get the reversing camera sorted. Fingers crossed! So glad my local dealer has a business lounge so I can work while surrounded by GT3s and CGTs haha

Old 04-04-2019, 09:44 PM
Emerging Sponsor
atwong1 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by LouDA
Haha! Yeh - gotta keep things in their place!

So car is going into the dealership tomorrow morning first thing to get the struts recalibrated which should remove the tailgate issue and they will also install the lowering module. I got to a point of nearly breaking things and would rather not ��
I think you may not have to spend the big $$$ for just a strut swap. I bet the VIN is the only update you needed.

Before you spend all that money, please try this with PIWIS first:

Diagnostics->Panamera
Scroll down
Rear Lid->Extended Identification->Vehicle identification number-> "enter your VIN in the box and click Write. (VIN is under windshield, inside door jam, on your Porsche Car Connect app on your phone, and also on PIWIS.)
Then go to Fault memory and clear all codes, and then go to Maintenance repairs on top and click calibration. Follow the screen and you are done. You may go to Drive links checks and look for abnormalities if still not working.

I hope that helps. I have done many retrofit's in my Panamera, so I am very experienced.

Last edited by atwong1; 04-04-2019 at 09:58 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: May as well start a build thread!