Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Phone Holder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 10:41 AM
12PTTSGrey will become famous soon enough
Phone Holder

What is everyone else doing to manage their phone in the car? I used to put it on the center console but that blocked the ashtray opening where I have a charger inserted. I had put it in the armrest but I tended to forget it there. Ended up going with a ProClips device that mounted lower on the center console, out of the way of the buttons. Then I wanted something simple so I got a magnet based case and mount to use on the base. Works pretty well.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:13 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
How does the base mount? I assume no damage to the console material. The center console cup holder is useless for phones, water bottles, etc.. I use the glove-box holders for water bottles and phone currently put in door pocket or center console (charging). I dont tend to mess with the phone while driving since it's connected Bluetooth so I don't mind it being in the console.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:24 AM
The base simply clicks in place. It had some double stick tape but I removed that to eliminate any chance of damaging the leather. Here is a pic from the side. They have a high mount, dash mount and low mount version. They have version for 970 and 971. No drilling, no permanence. As a note, the case is a Morpheus M4s I used for mounting on my road cycle. I use it to run a GPS app when I am cycling and the magnetic car mount kit made it convenient. I just pulled off the rubber and removed (via screw) the vent mount tabs and then used some adhesive to mount the magnet to the Proclip base.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:29 AM
LouDA is on a distinguished road
I was looking at the proclips ones, as well as the rennline ones (seeing if I could potentially use the rennline holder for the cayenne and simply drill different holes in the stereo/air vent mounts (it slides between them so no damage to the car). However, I ended up just going with a 3m-taped magnet holder from Autozone and stuck it to the larger plastic surface on the top right of the PCM screen so any residue will simply wipe off and it's fantastic. $15 well spent - I will take a pic when I get my car back after the recalls. Only thing that is a pain is that the magnet seems to block wireless charging.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:22 PM
aaronjb_ME is an unknown quantity at this point
I use the ProClip "high" mount on my 2016 4S. I had the "low" mount but found it was a bit more challenging to see in my peripheral vision, and required some awkward hand placements when I needed to interact with the screen.

I know Rennline is looking to borrow a car for an afternoon to get a mold for one of their mounts.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:57 PM
I never look at my phone when I am driving. I just wanted something to store it out of the way aside from constantly opening my center console. So, the low mount was perfect.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:42 PM
mziegler38 is on a distinguished road
Too bad you guys don't either have or use Apple Car Play. No need for any phone holder with car play.

Old 06-29-2019, 06:55 PM
skiracer13 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mziegler38
Too bad you guys don't either have or use Apple Car Play. No need for any phone holder with car play.
Can this be added to a 2010 w/ PCM and Burmester?

Old 06-30-2019, 07:02 AM
aaronjb_ME is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't believe CarPlay/Porsche Connect can be retrofitted (via hardware or software). There are third-party solutions but they look sketchy and not something I'd attempt to install.

I also with Android Auto was an option, but that's a different topic.

Old 06-30-2019, 12:23 PM
LGARCIA will become famous soon enough
I am surprised there aren't local places that install a third party Apple CarPlay solution, seems like it would be a good offering. Even the dealers could offer this....
I have seen the videos of the process to install it and it seems very involved and time consuming, I would definitely have a professional install it if available.

As to the phone holder, I am using a round magnet from amazon glued to the center console and a small metal place in between my phone and the case, works well.
I never really look at the phone, the BT does a good job streaming music (Pandora) and the map guidance (from the Iphone Maps).

Last edited by LGARCIA; 06-30-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:48 PM
jenhao is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LGARCIA
I am surprised there aren't local places that install a third party Apple CarPlay solution, seems like it would be a good offering. Even the dealers could offer this....
I have seen the videos of the process to install it and it seems very involved and time consuming, I would definitely have a professional install it if available.

As to the phone holder, I am using a round magnet from amazon glued to the center console and a small metal place in between my phone and the case, works well.
I never really look at the phone, the BT does a good job streaming music (Pandora) and the map guidance (from the Iphone Maps).
@atwong1 perfected the apple car play modification for Panamera. He is checking the level of interest on the forum. If you are interested, please PM him or contact him on his website. https://www.9xxresearch.com/

Old 07-10-2019, 01:32 PM
jenhao is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by aaronjb_ME
I don't believe CarPlay/Porsche Connect can be retrofitted (via hardware or software). There are third-party solutions but they look sketchy and not something I'd attempt to install.

I also with Android Auto was an option, but that's a different topic.
@atwong1 has installed the car play/android auto in his Panamera. if you are interested, please PM him.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 07-10-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:38 PM
Wow, I definitely would love android on my pcm

Old 12-10-2020, 04:43 PM
murci930 is on a distinguished road
Sorry to revive an old thread but just wanted to share the this phone mount that I love. For $12, and prime, you cant beat it.
Amazon Amazon
Here is a pic of it in the vent, (excuse the dirtiness in the vent lol, i am overdue for an interior detail)

The design allows it to hook behind the vent and it hold the vent in place so no sagging downward. the magnet they give you is also very strong and doesn't slide off.

I tried the proclip phone holder, and while it is very well made, it was a bit chunky (for me).

Old 12-10-2020, 04:52 PM

This is what I ended up using and it was awesome, again from Amazon and was wireless fast charging with an automatic open/close grip.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Phone Holder