Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

958.1 Passenger Tail Light not working (RH and gate)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 05:06 PM
audiomutt is an unknown quantity at this point
958.1 Passenger Tail Light not working (RH and gate)

One day the tail light is working, the next day... not so much. No error messages and no codes. When I lock the car, all lights flash as they should (different set than brake light it seems) but it will not light up on braking or when the lights are turned on. There doesn't seem to be a fuse that needs to be replaced and from what I've seen on the other forums there hasn't been a solid explanation for this. can't seem to find a post in the forum here but has anyone else had any experience with this?

Old 01-17-2019, 08:27 PM
Will Durametric diagnose issue with rear end electronics control module?

I took out both lights, looked for loose connections and all seems to sit properly, not that I expected any less though. I'm wondering if this issue might be stemming from the rear end electronics control module. I don't know a lot about the durametric tool, but would if I snagged one would it be able to read if that is where the issue lay?

Old 01-19-2019, 04:39 PM
Still trying to figure out the tail light

No thoughts here yet but I figured I'd keep the post going just in case (and in hopes) anybody had some insight. So when I lock the car, the the LED panel will light up on both the panel and the gate. But when driving lights are on, the panel will not light up. I took apart the interior panel today for access to the module and I noticed a piece of tape on one of the wires. I also noticed 2 broken tabs as I was taking the panels off. Obviously someone else has been back here, but would the tape have been on there from the factory or is it from someone else fixing something back here? At first it looked like it was on multiple wires but it is only on the black wire. Once I figure out these colors I'll try pull out the multimeter and test.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:28 PM
Quick update on what I've done so far. Used a 9v to check the LEDs on the unit and they all checked out. I check the tail light connector and I have continuity and 13v. I check the module, no issue to be found. Plug the lights back in and everything is working properly. Take a car for a quick spin (just to enjoy it for a min) come back and check...still good. Go for a drive about 30 minutes later, not working. Has to be a loose connection somewhere I guess, but I'm not sure at which point. Hoping its at the light.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:06 PM
Last update. This thing drove me crazy. Originally tested the pulled light with a 9v battery and all worked great but would not work in car so I thought it was rear bcm. But kept getting good reading out of the rear bcm so I couldn't really find the fault. Finally tested the light on a 12v battery and problem is def the tail light, when hooked up it just flashes and goes off. I don't know wiring that well, but I figured I'd crack open the tail light and take a look. I've dremeled a couple of tail lights in the past so no big deal, right? This one though... not worth it. There is no room for error. I just ended up getting a new tail light and I'm back on the road. Attached though is the wiring for a 2012 base in case its useful for anyone down the line.

BTW if anyone planning on doing any repining of wires. This came in handy for me. The blue one has a solid fit -
Amazon Amazon

Old 02-12-2019, 02:45 PM
997Turbo07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Its your taillight assembly - I had the same issue with my 2011 Cayenne S - I replaced them with a set from Suncoast parts - havent had a problem since.

Old 02-18-2020, 01:52 PM
Sergio Gonzalez is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by audiomutt
Last update. This thing drove me crazy. Originally tested the pulled light with a 9v battery and all worked great but would not work in car so I thought it was rear bcm. But kept getting good reading out of the rear bcm so I couldn't really find the fault. Finally tested the light on a 12v battery and problem is def the tail light, when hooked up it just flashes and goes off. I don't know wiring that well, but I figured I'd crack open the tail light and take a look. I've dremeled a couple of tail lights in the past so no big deal, right? This one though... not worth it. There is no room for error. I just ended up getting a new tail light and I'm back on the road. Attached though is the wiring for a 2012 base in case its useful for anyone down the line.

BTW if anyone planning on doing any repining of wires. This came in handy for me. The blue one has a solid fit -
Amazon Amazon
Hi Audiomutt,

Do you know if both tailgate and body assembly units are required to be replaced? I'm trying to just replace the faulty one. Doesn't make sense that both would go out at the same time. I'm thinking one feeds the other. Anyhow if you have any insight, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Old 02-18-2020, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Sergio Gonzalez
Hi Audiomutt,

Do you know if both tailgate and body assembly units are required to be replaced? I'm trying to just replace the faulty one. Doesn't make sense that both would go out at the same time. I'm thinking one feeds the other. Anyhow if you have any insight, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Hey Sergio, I needed the assembly on the body only. Replaced mine like 997Turbo07 did (only single side since I knew issue was RH side on mine). No problems since. Good luck!

Old 02-19-2020, 05:03 PM
Sergio Gonzalez is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you so much. Picked up a used 2014 light from a local wrecker for $120. Easily replaced it today. fingers crossed, but I think that's it.

Old 12-26-2020, 12:48 PM
Darien is on a distinguished road
Great write up! Had the exact symptoms and went directly with replacing the tail lights with newer used set....Ops ck good!

I have to say WTF...what causes LED lights to become intermittent (over heating of the elements, faulty assembly, etc)??

Has anyone repaired an intermittent tail light by replacing LED’s or other?

Thanks for saving me time not troubleshooting the entire system!

Originally Posted by audiomutt

BTW if anyone planning on doing any repining of wires. This came in handy for me. The blue one has a solid fit - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 02-25-2021, 10:21 AM
Sahaj Jhingan is an unknown quantity at this point
Same issue with my Cayenne

Is there a way to fix this issue or no choice but to replace the tail lights .

thanks

Old 02-25-2021, 02:38 PM
Yep, just going to have to replace it. maybe you can get lucky and snag a used one.

Old 02-25-2021, 03:02 PM
Sahaj Jhingan is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for this saved me time diagnosing the issue .called Porsche inner one is 650$ and outer is around 780$ (Canadian)

I will check it I can get used
thanks