997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Dectane/Depo lights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 05:29 PM
mattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the rough
Dectane/Depo lights?

Any body else have problems with one just stop working. When the lights are on dash light comes on check right rear light. Turn lights off and back on then they work. I can't figure it out. Anybody else have this issue?

Old 12-16-2012, 05:37 PM
vaportrail is a jewel in the roughvaportrail is a jewel in the roughvaportrail is a jewel in the rough
Your timing on this is spooky. I had the same problem for first time just a couple days ago. Was just taking the car apart now, and it's working again. Probably not for long.

It's my left (driver side). So between us we still have one good set.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:49 PM
PACE has much to be proud ofPACE has much to be proud ofPACE has much to be proud ofPACE has much to be proud ofPACE has much to be proud ofPACE has much to be proud ofPACE has much to be proud ofPACE has much to be proud ofPACE has much to be proud of
Did you use the inline resistors?

Old 12-16-2012, 05:58 PM
mattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the rough
They are built into the light setup. It is just plug and play.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:59 PM
vaportrail is a jewel in the roughvaportrail is a jewel in the roughvaportrail is a jewel in the rough
I did use them. The lights appear to be working but shut off intermittently. If I turn the lights back off and on again, they work again.

I'm thinking the resistance is too low, the vehicle assumes the bulb is blown and shuts the circuit down. Maybe the resistor pack is bad.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:12 PM
That what mine is doing. I wonder if we can get a replacement?

Old 12-16-2012, 06:29 PM
I just swapped the tail lights, plugged left side into right connector. The error remained on the same side. I'm thinking we have a problem. It would appear the vehicle assumes the circuit is dead due to low amperage draw of LED's, and shuts down.

I dont think a replacement lamp will help.

Maybe a different set of resistors.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:41 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mattgarrett
They are built into the light setup. It is just plug and play.
I think he's asking about the separate resistor box that ships with the lights. Some folks use (usually with early model years) and some don't use.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:49 PM
I have the box plugged into the light and secured. I just assumed (bought second hand on here) that was how is is supposed to be. My drivers side works great but the passenger side is acting up with the lights on tonight. I will drive it tomorrow and see if it acts up without the light being switched on.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:21 PM
RCNJ is on a distinguished road
I had the same problem. I bought them from Rhonda at FVD. After owning them for about 4 months this problem started. I called Rhonda and told her the problem. She said...yes, these lights are having issues and they havent come up with a solution. Ship them back and I will give you a full refund. So, I did but lucky me the lights both broken by shipper. I now have a dispute with the USPS ;(

Old 12-17-2012, 12:20 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
No issues with mine so far. Mine came with two extra 'load' units. Maybe the one installed already on the lamp has failed? This load unit (or whatever its called) tricks the canbus system by adding resistance.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:39 PM
1pennyshort has a spectacular aura about1pennyshort has a spectacular aura about1pennyshort has a spectacular aura about
I'll be watching this as my Dectane left tail light started having problems last week too. Same thing: getting the "check left tail light" warning and the light is turned off.

I have tried disconnecting the ballast, but things get worse: both left tail and brake lights fail then. I am really wondering if this is a result of colder weather.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by 1pennyshort
I'll be watching this as my Dectane left tail light started having problems last week too. Same thing: getting the "check left tail light" warning and the light is turned off.

I have tried disconnecting the ballast, but things get worse: both left tail and brake lights fail then. I am really wondering if this is a result of colder weather.
This IS odd. My lights had also been in and working perfectly since June. Colder weather doesn't make any sense to me, more so being in the SF Bay Area?

Old 12-19-2012, 07:56 PM
1pennyshort has a spectacular aura about1pennyshort has a spectacular aura about1pennyshort has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by vaportrail
This IS odd. My lights had also been in and working perfectly since June. Colder weather doesn't make any sense to me, more so being in the SF Bay Area?
I know, it's quite a reach. Temperature affects electrical resistance, but could a 20-degree drop affect the circuits so much? I don't know, but it's weird that we're seeing these failures at the same time.

I will try to swap the ballasts beween left and right, but I don't have much hope.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:03 PM
I am sure I am screwed since I bought them from the original owner. Oh well I had a feeling and I should of listened to it, but I really wanted the led rear lights. LOL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dectane/Depo lights?