997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Dectane/Depo lights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 08:08 PM
alwaysturbos is on a distinguished road
That sucks, I always keep a eye on mine as well. Luckily Ive had these lights for about 1 year with no problems so far. We'll see..

Old 12-19-2012, 08:13 PM
mattgarrett,

I see you have a couple diesel trucks... Speaking of being screwed, I have an 08 6.4 Diesel, it had 83k on it and I had an engine failure. It was a bad cam, rocker lever issue that messed the engine. I had to buy a new long block for $11k. No warranty either bc the truck has a tuner on it! I had no choice but to fix it.

If you have no luck with the current lights, but do like them, there is a guy on Ebay I bought mine from, I can refer if thats any help

Old 12-20-2012, 08:02 AM
mattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the rough
alwaysturbos,
That really sucks about your truck. I have tuner friendly dealers here. I have three diesel trucks and I like them all. Go ahead and send me his name if you don't mind please. My email is mattgarrett@comcast.net
Thanks

Old 12-20-2012, 08:26 AM
Info sent, GL

Old 12-20-2012, 03:22 PM
dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !
Had the same issue a couple of months ago. I shipped the defective unit to dectane they checked it and replaced it under warranty...
Just FYI.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:13 AM
mattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the rough
Is there anyplace to get replacement resistor boxes? Surely you can buy an extra one. I had to take my lights out because they were so unpredictable. They seem to work unless you turn the lights on then they throw a check you rear light message. Anybody?

Old 12-25-2012, 09:20 AM
1pennyshort has a spectacular aura about1pennyshort has a spectacular aura about1pennyshort has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by mattgarrett
Is there anyplace to get replacement resistor boxes? Surely you can buy an extra one. I had to take my lights out because they were so unpredictable. They seem to work unless you turn the lights on then they throw a check you rear light message. Anybody?
The issue is more than likely with the light assembly itself, rather than the resistor box. If it were the resistor box, swapping them from left to right would swap the error too, but that has not been my experience. The error is consistently on the same side.

Dectane offers a 2 year warranty on these babies. I took mine off too (driving around with one light off looks pretty dumb) and sent an email to support@dectane.de a few days ago. No reply yet (it's the holidays after all), but I'll keep at it.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:39 AM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
Had mine for over a year with no problems .but like others have said when you buy them new they come with 2 sets of resistors . I'm guessing for different models mine worked with the set that was already connected to them .

Old 12-25-2012, 08:15 PM
skinny electra is a splendid one to beholdskinny electra is a splendid one to beholdskinny electra is a splendid one to beholdskinny electra is a splendid one to beholdskinny electra is a splendid one to beholdskinny electra is a splendid one to beholdskinny electra is a splendid one to behold
i just got a set..I hooked up the 2nd set of resistors that came with it and i have no issues yet.. Only have them on car for maybe 3 weeks..I also installed a set on my buddies car and same no issues with resistors all hooked up!!

Old 12-26-2012, 08:46 PM
Carlitos way is just really niceCarlitos way is just really niceCarlitos way is just really niceCarlitos way is just really niceCarlitos way is just really nice
I have EXACTLY the same issue with my left tailight, Frank from OrangeTuning sent me new resistors but I did not had the chance to try them as my car is in storage.

Anybody tried to install new resistors yet?

Old 12-27-2012, 08:36 AM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
reading this thread is bad luck. I noticed yesterday that with the lights on and the left turn signal engaged I get an error code "check left turn signal" and the left arrow on the dash blinks quickly indicating the turn signal is out. But in fact the turn signal was working just fine.

Now with the lights off and the turn signal on the error codes goes away. strange.

I do wonder if the cold weather has something to do with this spell of errors everyone is having. We've had temps drop into the high 30s to low 40s at night here in the bay area and if the voltage on these depo lights is already low to begin with then this cold weather could be just enough to cause the voltage to drop below the acceptable threshold and trigger the electric gremlins.

I also think it is hit or miss on the quality control of these units, they obviously have wide tolerances in terms of their "acceptable" QC range, hence in the same set we get one light that works and the other that has issues. I'll continue to monitor mine and if needed replace just the unit that is failing while still under warranty

Old 12-27-2012, 11:44 AM
vaportrail is a jewel in the roughvaportrail is a jewel in the roughvaportrail is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by aa909
reading this thread is bad luck. I noticed yesterday that with the lights on and the left turn signal engaged I get an error code "check left turn signal" and the left arrow on the dash blinks quickly indicating the turn signal is out. But in fact the turn signal was working just fine.

Now with the lights off and the turn signal on the error codes goes away. strange.

I do wonder if the cold weather has something to do with this spell of errors everyone is having. We've had temps drop into the high 30s to low 40s at night here in the bay area and if the voltage on these depo lights is already low to begin with then this cold weather could be just enough to cause the voltage to drop below the acceptable threshold and trigger the electric gremlins.

I also think it is hit or miss on the quality control of these units, they obviously have wide tolerances in terms of their "acceptable" QC range, hence in the same set we get one light that works and the other that has issues. I'll continue to monitor mine and if needed replace just the unit that is failing while still under warranty
Art, I'm sorry you're having trouble with these lights. If I knew there would be problems, obviously I'd have never recommended them.

I first noticed my issue a few weeks ago after being leaving the lights on for 20 minutes while waiting for someone in a parking lot, it was cold out but not the 30-40 degrees we are currently experiencing. I'm wondering if the shorter days are more a factor than the ambient temperature.

My lights were shipped with a resister attached to the tail light, and an additional resistor that was plugged in and left loose in the fender well. I'm assuming this is what twturbo is referring to by second set of resistors.

Skinny Electra: If you have a multimeter available, can you measure the resistance in your new resistor pack? Or provide the part number listed on it?

Thanks much.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:02 PM
za3879 has a spectacular aura aboutza3879 has a spectacular aura about
This sucks. I was planning on throwing these on soon. I'm wondering if this was a bad batch or something. I'm interested to see what the mfg has to say about thhis...

Old 12-27-2012, 12:13 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by za3879
This sucks. I was planning on throwing these on soon. I'm wondering if this was a bad batch or something. I'm interested to see what the mfg has to say about thhis...
Probably won't get much of a response from Taiwan.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:46 PM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vaportrail
Art, I'm sorry you're having trouble with these lights. If I knew there would be problems, obviously I'd have never recommended them.

I first noticed my issue a few weeks ago after being leaving the lights on for 20 minutes while waiting for someone in a parking lot, it was cold out but not the 30-40 degrees we are currently experiencing. I'm wondering if the shorter days are more a factor than the ambient temperature.

My lights were shipped with a resister attached to the tail light, and an additional resistor that was plugged in and left loose in the fender well. I'm assuming this is what twturbo is referring to by second set of resistors.

Skinny Electra: If you have a multimeter available, can you measure the resistance in your new resistor pack? Or provide the part number listed on it?

Thanks much.
Hey Scott, no worries I would have put them on regardless, they do look 10x better than the stock lights. I also had the car sitting for a month, I put the battery tender on last night and will try the lights again tomorrow to see if a fully charged battery makes any difference. I do know that in my 5 series if the battery is low I get all kinds of electric gremlins and error codes upon a cold start, especially after it's been sitting for a while

Last edited by aa909; 12-27-2012 at 02:51 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dectane/Depo lights?