Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Brake light not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 09:56 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
Brake light not working

I have driving /parking lights, but the driver side doesn't illuminate with the brakes engaged .

any places to start looking for a problem ? I would think that the LEDs don't often go bad, right?

thanks

Old 03-17-2014, 04:22 AM
V12Vantage has a spectacular aura aboutV12Vantage has a spectacular aura aboutV12Vantage has a spectacular aura about
The easiest test is to substitute the faulty light unit for one known to be good. Do you have a friend with the same car or a friendly dealer. I assume that you have checked fuses etc first. Unfortunately it most probably is the circuitry inside the light unit.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:18 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
uggg! so, I looks like the switch works and there is no fuse that runs the brake light portion of the lights. with the lights off , the brake lights come on the driver side, in the form of the running lights. (not bright on the driver side)
so, I need a new rear tail light assembly? Ive heard it is sealed and is not repairable. is there a control unit that is outside of the assembly?

Old 03-18-2014, 03:04 AM
V12Vantage has a spectacular aura aboutV12Vantage has a spectacular aura aboutV12Vantage has a spectacular aura about
As far as I know, there is no external control unit. In the UK we don't have running lights as such, just a tail light for night driving and a brighter brake light. I had a similar problem on a previous old DB9 and it was a faulty light unit. Replaced it with a second hand unit and all was good.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:09 AM
Im talking about just the tail light... thanks for the response. the tail light works fine, and actually, when the brake lights are applied iin the day time, it comes on, but only at tail light strength. (the other side is bright). at night, the tail light works on that bad side, but doesn't get brighter with the brakes applied.... so, I need a new assembly on that side???

are all of the tail lights the same for all years?? I found a good used one for $200, but it had years of 2008 and later. is this the case? I certainly want both sides to match.... so, if they are different, do I need to buy both sides, and then the question is, do the other years work on the 2006? reprograming???

thanks
Mark

Old 04-14-2014, 01:09 PM
I replaced the light assy and it came from a DB9, which are all supposed to be the same light assembly. however, once installed, I cant get it to fit the same way as the prior light. the outside edge sticks out a bit and if is moved in, the center part of the light will be too deep in the car body. (there are 3 adjusters) does anyone know of any casting differences of the plastic part that might make these parts just slightly different? otherwise, its nice to have full brake lights again, rather than just the driving light portion lighting up when brakes applied in the day time, and no change when headlights are on for that one side. seems a shame to have to pitch an almost perfectly good light assembly for reasons that it cant be fixed.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:47 AM
dallasbaker is a jewel in the roughdallasbaker is a jewel in the roughdallasbaker is a jewel in the rough
The 3 mounting screws on the back are adjustable. Start with the inside one and then the one above. Keep working with it until the fit is right.

Sorry I found this so late. The lights are sealed, but you can open them up and repair the circuit board. But $200 is a good deal.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by dallasbaker
The 3 mounting screws on the back are adjustable. Start with the inside one and then the one above. Keep working with it until the fit is right.

Sorry I found this so late. The lights are sealed, but you can open them up and repair the circuit board. But $200 is a good deal.
Thanks for the response. Yes, i know about the adjusters, but its geometry or shape just seems to be different enough. when i started with the inside one, the clearance and flushness was all good until the outside part, which stuck out a bit. to get it flush, the entire assembly is too deep in the car. compared to the stock installed other side, it doesnt look right. but, when i started with the outside moving in, at least i got it to be flush , but angled slightly and then got the inside parts to be near the same as the other side. its almost like it needs an other adjuster on the bottom to be able to push it out, , and then pull in the top, and then the outside corner would be right.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:27 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
I've been doing aston for years now and a tail light can take me 30seconds to an hour to adjust..its really a hit or miss...I always make it leave perfect which can take a lot of new words learned...just don't force the adjuster, cause it will snap very easy...T.T.T'd LOL

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-18-2014, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by irish07
I've been doing aston for years now and a tail light can take me 30seconds to an hour to adjust..its really a hit or miss...I always make it leave perfect which can take a lot of new words learned...just don't force the adjuster, cause it will snap very easy...T.T.T'd LOL

It doesn't look like it can fit properly. it came from a DB9 and ive heard they (all the light assemblies) are all the same, but it looks like the outer edge is just flared out a little. its perfect middle and on the inside part, but the outside is just not right. what is the trick?

Old 04-19-2014, 09:34 AM
I have changed a few of these tail light units, mostly on Vantages. To the best of my knowledge they are all the same. As Irish says it takes a bit of fiddling with the adjusters to get them just tight. Take the unit out again and compare it with your old one, to make sure they are the same. I would be very interested to hear from the other poster regards repairing these units.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:41 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
All the years will work and fit if it came for a vantage and goes in a vantage...a 2014 vantage tail light will fit a 2006..there's no question on fitment..

But if the light is used and was not adjusted correctly, the outer sides will warp outward due to the forced contact of the red lens to the body, and in most cases this warping cracks the seal of the plastic and causes humidity in the lens assembly...can you post pictures of it adjusted at best with the boot lid closed, 4 pics showing the gaps on the left/right/top/bottom and another pic showing the major concern your dealing with..just helps me visualize where your at

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-19-2014, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by irish07
All the years will work and fit if it came for a vantage and goes in a vantage...a 2014 vantage tail light will fit a 2006..there's no question on fitment..

But if the light is used and was not adjusted correctly, the outer sides will warp outward due to the forced contact of the red lens to the body, and in most cases this warping cracks the seal of the plastic and causes humidity in the lens assembly...can you post pictures of it adjusted at best with the boot lid closed, 4 pics showing the gaps on the left/right/top/bottom and another pic showing the major concern your dealing with..just helps me visualize where your at

Ill take a few pics. the light seems to be in good shape, but I was wondering if it came from a DB9, that maybe it might be slightly different.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:28 PM
here are the left and right comparisons. you can see that the edge slightly sticks out on the left side and not on the factory installed right side. the other two shots show the middle section that is the same near the inside area, but in the middle to get the outside edge to go in, its maxed out before it starts to be out of position.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6156.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	368951   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6157.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	368952   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6159.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	368953   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6160.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	368954  
Old 05-01-2014, 06:38 AM
Basic Sponsor
Is the left the used part and the right is the original on the car?

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brake light not working