Tech / How To

2003-C4S Radio Upgrade????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 07:31 PM
911C4S has a spectacular aura about911C4S has a spectacular aura about911C4S has a spectacular aura about
2003-C4S Radio Upgrade????

I wanted to upgrade my radio to an Alpine NAVI or Pioneer:
Senario: 1.Installer said they would have to rewire the entire car setup..
2. I would have to buy 2 Amps for current speaker setup. (Bose Prem)
This is all due to my 2003 having Fiber Optics??? Is this true or is he trying to blow smoke up my *ss???? Thanks... total cost of installation is going to be around $2,500 +/-....Thanks...

Old 11-07-2007, 02:00 AM
kzrsoize is on a distinguished road
im pretty sure hes true, try calling rawling audio in monrovia california. That cat doesnt blow any smoke. GL

Old 11-10-2007, 11:22 PM
911C4S has a spectacular aura about911C4S has a spectacular aura about911C4S has a spectacular aura about
Thanks

Originally Posted by kzrsoize
im pretty sure hes true, try calling rawling audio in monrovia california. That cat doesnt blow any smoke. GL
thanks for the info. will give them a call..

Old 11-13-2007, 04:01 PM
1SIKCAB is on a distinguished road
PM me for Icon TV's installer contact info who can get great pricing on Critical Mass components. His shop is in Monterey Park. He just did an awesome setup for me including a fiberglass enclosure for a 10" sub. Although they specialize in CM components they can get anything you want, Pioneer, JL Audio, Alpine, etc. They have done many celebrity Audio Video systems, and are currently working on the Maloof bros. SUVs. PM me if you want to check out my system as we're practically neighbors!

Last edited by 1SIKCAB; 11-13-2007 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:29 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
I had an 03 and added a Reus system. He is the best, call him.
www.reusaudio.com

Old 11-26-2007, 02:25 PM
fatalglitch is on a distinguished road
There's 2 types of bose systems...

1. Each speaker enclosure has a seperate amplifier
2. One main amplifier (on a porsche, it's in the front bonnet, big black finned box)

With type 1, you have audio inputs up at the factory head unit, and the head unit outputs a very low power audio signal to each amplified speaker. This can be alleviated by using a special line out box that you can turn the gains wayyyy down on each channel. Typically costs are $30-$40

With type 2, your best bet is to "rewire" but not to destroy the old wiring. A good installer will remove the factory amplifier, and re-use, without destroying, the existing wiring.

The whole fiber-optics thing is Bulls**t. A lot of newer cars use data-link cables, instead of the old style copper wiring to each speaker. The data-link cables carry all the signals and functions to a main amplifier/brain, which is then connected to the speakers.

The other use I have seen for fiber-optics is some Volvo's. I don't believe it's actually fiber-optics, but a similar wiring is used for the FM/AM Antenna. Cut that... and yer out about $1k

Watch out for shady install shops... I spent 2+ years installing audio systems into high-end auto's, and met plenty of customers who other shops tried to BS and rip off.

Best thing is to get references from the shop of other customers they have installed for.... most decent shops can easily provide these.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:21 PM
KarAudioKing is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 911C4S
I wanted to upgrade my radio to an Alpine NAVI or Pioneer:
Senario: 1.Installer said they would have to rewire the entire car setup..
2. I would have to buy 2 Amps for current speaker setup. (Bose Prem)
This is all due to my 2003 having Fiber Optics??? Is this true or is he trying to blow smoke up my *ss???? Thanks... total cost of installation is going to be around $2,500 +/-....Thanks...
Def blowing smoke up your u know what! Its an easy fit and not expensive, def go with a pioneer, best in the biz. Bose is an installers cop out, u can actually run Bose through aftermarket Nav's or radios. Which nobody knows! So dont let people BS you. Lemme know if u have any more ?s

Old 02-04-2008, 02:40 PM
Shops in So.Cal area

Originally Posted by KarAudioKing
Def blowing smoke up your u know what! Its an easy fit and not expensive, def go with a pioneer, best in the biz. Bose is an installers cop out, u can actually run Bose through aftermarket Nav's or radios. Which nobody knows! So dont let people BS you. Lemme know if u have any more ?s
Do you have any shops in mind? Thanks...

Old 02-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Former Vendor
PRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant futurePRFCNST has a brilliant future
http://www.reusaudio.com/

By far the most knowledgeable people I've met in the Car Audio world.