Tech / How To

Torque Wrench

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 05:56 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
Torque Wrench

Can anyone point me to a good torque wrench that can do most of the work on a 2007 997 Turbo? The majority of the time I will be using it to torque down wheels (which I believe should be at 95 lb-ft).

How are the Grainger, Snap-on or Craftsman torque wrenches?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:03 AM
nyuaznguy is on a distinguished road
I got mine at tire rack. Cheaper than sears and it works. Had it for 4 years. I think it goes up to150 ft lb torque

Old 08-09-2012, 03:01 AM
michelin is on a distinguished road
I've got a Snap On TW. Qualtiy tools which never let you down. You have a super car this requires super tools !! :-)

Old 08-09-2012, 06:42 AM
GOBEX is a jewel in the roughGOBEX is a jewel in the roughGOBEX is a jewel in the rough
Can't beat the reliability of Snap On. The Craftsman torque wrench isn't the same quality as the rest of their tools and isn't covered by the same warranty.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
As someone who uses his tools professionally I will say that quality is nice to have. And with that said I do use many tools other then Snap-on too. For someone just looking to work on his own car every now and then Snap on is just not worth the price you pay.

Look at Proto or some other decent quality name for a torque wrench for wheel nuts.
The Husky line from Home depot might even have something for you, Or even Jet tools. Or if you want to try something more high end without the snap-on name try a split beam type from McCann

Or if you want you can get into a good snap-on click type for about $350.00 and the snap-on man will come right to you.

Remember a torque wrench does not usually work as accurately at ether end of its settings. Plus a Torque wrench that is good for 150 or even 250 pounds is not going to work for lower torques. You really need several torque wrenchs to do all jobs Auto.

Proto Stanley http://www.stanleyproto.com/default....tCatalog=PROTO
Jet http://www.jetequipment.com/en/categ...d=40&grpid=129
McCann http://www.torquetools.com/Torque-Pr...-wrenches.html
Snap-on http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....e=&dir=catalog

Last edited by Engine Guy; 08-09-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:43 AM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
Thank you all. This is great!

Old 08-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Here you go, great buy at that price.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-2-Dr-Split-...item2a0dc82f22

Old 10-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Troux is on a distinguished road
I've owned two Craftsman torque wrenches. First, the clicker type, then the beam type. The beam type, as expected, has been wonderfully reliable and will never, ever need an adjustment. The clicker type became very loose, very quickly amongst all of its parts, and isn't covered under any warranty. Something to consider, although the luxury of a clicker type is tough to beat!

Old 11-03-2012, 10:42 PM
jetskied is on a distinguished road
Wheels don't need to be torqued that acurately. With that said you still need to be in the right range +/- 5 lbs. The most cost efficent acurate one are the beam type which you can buy for $20 from sears. The negative it does not ratchet. Cheap ones work fine but you have to quesion their durability and accuracy, but it should be in the right range for just wheels not an engine build. Since the cost between a harbor freight and something OK like sears, husky, or kobalt is less than $50 I would getg a brand name. If your serious about working on cars you should spend more like a Proto or go for broke get a Mac or snap on.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:27 AM
WHTEVO is on a distinguished road
I would just get a Craftsman one if only doing things such as your wheels and basic type stuff. I have a Craftsman and a Snap-On one. I only use the Snap-On one for my engine builds where i need things to be pretty accurate. Not saying the Craftsman one isn't accurate though.

Aaron