Tech / How To

V1 Hardwire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 08:11 PM
njcycleguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past
V1 Hardwire

Any HOW TO's on a V1 install on a 997? Want to mounton the windshield and use the power of the the map / dome lights.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:51 PM
njcycleguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Ok, I'll settle for DIY.. LOL - seriously, no one?

Old 07-19-2007, 07:20 PM
wbellinz is on a distinguished road
Old 08-01-2007, 06:26 PM
gomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant future
Oh how I wish I had the nerve to do this. But there are 2 things I never touch plumbing and electrical.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:59 PM
wbellinz is on a distinguished road
I'll solder a pipe but won't cut into a wire harness!

Old 08-01-2007, 09:08 PM
brnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant future
There are wire splicers that allow you to patch into a hot wire without disrupting it or soldering. That's how I wired my V1 to my M5. A small little plastic connector that has a blade inside it. You pinch this on the hot wire and the wire you are connecting and the blade slices through the covering and makes contact without cutting the wire or need for soldering. I did this 4 years ago and my V1 is still working fine.

Regardless, I too was nervous as hell as I disassembled the sunroof controls on my M5. My wife got a big laugh. After all there I was a brain surgeon who clips aneurysms and takes out gigantic tumors, something that most would say requires nerves or steel, and installing the V1 made me nervous.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:25 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
you can check my DIY

Old 10-02-2007, 11:34 AM
bperry is on a distinguished road
I also need to hardwire a V1 in my GT3 and a E60 M5. In the M5 I can't find a switched wire in the overhead area. Any tips?

Old 10-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Tom(Atl) is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by njcycleguy
Any HOW TO's on a V1 install on a 997? Want to mounton the windshield and use the power of the the map / dome lights.
You can hardwire to your battery using the telephone style cords. v1 accepts this as a power input. Run the cord through the firewall, under the door panels, up the A-pillar, under the headliner, and to the mirror.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:17 PM
bperry is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tom(Atl)
You can hardwire to your battery using the telephone style cords. v1 accepts this as a power input. Run the cord through the firewall, under the door panels, up the A-pillar, under the headliner, and to the mirror.
The detector really should be wired to a "switched" power output. Is there a switched wire in the GT3 headliner?

Old 10-07-2007, 09:48 AM
Niels E46 M3 is on a distinguished road
i am not sure about the GT3, but here is a general set of procedures to follow. I did this on my e46 m3.

M 3 . M A D R U S S I A N . N E T

Old 10-10-2007, 10:24 AM
Euclid is on a distinguished road
You just have to find an "accessory" wire, which is only hot when the key is on. Then you tap into it with the previously mentioned crimp connectors and plug in V1's Direct-Wire Power Adapter
Item 20305

Old 11-29-2007, 02:54 PM
torresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond repute
Just did this on my 996TT. Took about 30 min. Works like a charm. Thanks for the write up.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:04 AM
scuzy is on a distinguished road
The direct wiring kit that comes iwth the V1 is easy to use and jsut need a wire splicter clip for no hassle wire splicing

Old 11-30-2007, 06:44 PM
Fallon is on a distinguished road
I ran mine like this http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/albur30 still sticking out in the gap in the middle of the dash and running to the cigarette lighter adapter at the moment, but will be hard wiring it directly into the fuse box on a empty socket (heated seats aren't installed on mine, but have a nice switched 25 amp socket thats empty). I'm going to get a remote display and put it near my right knee, so I ran a new wire rather than just tapping into switched near the rear view.

Hope to use the visor mount and clip it under the head liner like http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...71&postcount=8 but just using the suction things for now.

Another good guide for switched in the headliner
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...d.php?t=228360

Pinout for the detector plug
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tid=124259&stc

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V1 Hardwire