Camcorder for track days

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 05:25 AM
ianburst is on a distinguished road
Camcorder for track days

Can anyone recommend the best camcorder to mount on a roll cage for track footage?Also,is it possible to get one that can be taken out and used to get footage from the pit lane wall?Thanks in advance,Ian.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:52 AM
manalex is on a distinguished road
I think you need to stay away from cameras that have CD or Hard Drive recording media. Some have had success, but most do not. The vibration in the car shuts them down shortly after you get onto the track. If you're going to mount it on a roll bar then get what has the best picture quality and features. People without roll bars are the ones that really struggle becuase they have a much more limited number of cameras that will do the trick and still pass local safety requirements.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Manalex,thanks.Do you think that cameras that record on to an SD Memory card would be ok?I have just seen a suction mount set up like those used on satnav units.I assume this would go on the windscreen or passenger window.
The ideal setup is a lipstick shaped camera which can be mounted virtually anywhere inside or outside the car.It has a wire which goes to a small unit with screen and controls.Problem is that this is pretty much useless for any other purpose and often the best footage at the track is from someone trackside doing the filming.What do you think?

Old 08-14-2008, 08:31 PM
You can buy a lipstick cam and connect it to a regular camcorder too. Had to do it that way because the camcorder I had was bigger/older than what is currently available. I connected the lipstick cam to a suction mount and ran the wire to the camcorder which was secured behind the passenger seat. You can get the lipstick cams (including a mic) on ebay pretty cheap. I was never able to figure out the sound though-it sounds like you have a tornado in the cockpit of your car. Also, lipstick cam footage is low resolution so I'm still looking for a better solution.

The problem with the suction cup mount is that many DE hosts (PCA, PBOC, Chin, etc) will not allow it even if your only mounting a lipstick cam-it needs to be "properly secured" (like on a roll bar mount). I got away with it most times, but on more than one occasion they did not let me use them.

SD chip is fine, but you typically have to sacrifice one of two things: picture quality or video duration. Another thread in this section talks about a gopro camera which uses a SD card limited to 2 Gigs-not a bad deal, but picture resolution is below even what a lipstick cam will get you. However, it will last about an hour. It's good for watching on a computer screen, but little more.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:40 AM
Manalex,have a look at this website which I just found-www.motorsportcameras.com- Do you think that the resolution would be ok?I like your idea of getting the bullet camera[attached to the roll cage] and plugging it in to a regular camcorder secured behind the seat.At least I could use the camcorder for other stuff.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:32 AM
ErikG is on a distinguished road
A lot of people, me included, seem to run the Chasecam/Traqmate combo now. But if you don't really care for what the traqmate does, then I personally think that the Chasecam is a little on the expensive side for what you get.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:58 AM
If you already have a camcorder then just buy a lipstick cam-I prefer that option to the motorsport camera gear on the website you referenced. Seems a little expensive to me. No gain in video quality going that route in my opinion. That said it's nice to have a system that is already built for you.

Here's the website I was referring to earlier: http://www.goprocamera.com/index3.htm I have two of these and the video is okay if all your doing is watching it on a computer and sending it to Friends.

The traqmate option is also a good one. Combining video with the dash board overlay really brings the video to a new level. Not to mention, you'll gain the ability to really analyze your track day performance.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:59 AM
agree with both Mike and Manalex on this, if you don't have to have the overlay of the dash board, both the options above are much less expensive, and the quality of video is very comparable. This is a video I posted on youtube so that you can see the dashboard overlay, the quality is not this bad on my computer, youtube made it a lot !! worse. This was done with Traqmate/Chasecam combo. You can hear that I still have to find a better spot for the external mike, there is still a lot of wind noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWqjn8CmJeU

Old 08-16-2008, 12:00 AM
Mdrums,how is the Aiptek mounted in your car?Also does it have an AV input if I want to use it with a lipstick camera?Ian

Old 08-16-2008, 06:25 AM
Thanks Mike,

The only thing that I would like to add to that dashboard, which Trackvision does have, but traqmate studio does not, is the throttle position bar. I have the TPS hooked up to my traqmate, but I don't really care that much for analysing the data without video. Currently it shows when you are accelerating or decelerating (green and red lights in speedo), but you can't tell what your actual throttle position is while accelerating, and if you apply it in one smooth motion until full throttle.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:27 AM
SWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ErikG
You can hear that I still have to find a better spot for the external mike, there is still a lot of wind noise.
Nice laps, gotta love Sebring. I too am still working on the "ideal" location for a remote mic, so far best place that I have found is in the engine compartment just above the central exhaust.

I am currently utilizing two HD video cameras (one forward and one rear facing) mounted to the roll bar. Forward facing camera is a Canon HD MiniDV cassette with remote Audio-Technica microphone and the rear facing camera is a Canon HD Internal Flash Memory card. Both cameras are mounted to the roll bar with an I/O Port video camera mount. A DC/AC power inverter is a means of powering them both and now I just have to remember to bring along enough tapes for whatever event I am filming.

Last edited by SWATDoc; 08-17-2008 at 06:33 AM.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:11 AM
SWATDoc,a couple of questions:Is the Canon HD with SD memory card as good as the cassette version? and;pardon my ignorance but what is an I/O Port camera mount and where would I get one?thanks,Ian

Old 08-17-2008, 06:49 AM
SWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ianburst
Is the Canon HD with SD memory card as good as the cassette version? and;pardon my ignorance but what is an I/O Port camera mount and where would I get one?thanks,Ian
The cassette version is a much more expensive (big) camera, but the memory card version is also very good quality. I haven't had the card version "shut down due to vibration" yet but apparently this can be a problem.

Here is a photo of the I/O Port camera mount:

And here is where you can purchase it:
(Note: I am in no way affiliated with this company)
http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...gory_Code=IOPP

They work well and I have had excellent customer support from the company. Hope this helps, and good luck with your setup.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:27 PM
SWATDoc,many thanks.The IO Port bracket looks awesome so I am about to order one.Now I have to decide on the camera,either Aiptek at $200 or Canon/JVC at about $700?It seems that the Aiptek is ok but maybe doesn't have as good an anti-vibration feature as the more expensive units.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:14 AM
I have a used IO port for $75 shipped if anyone is interested. Had it in my previous car on the roll bar, but since I now use the Chasecam I don't need it anymore

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Camcorder for track days