Tuning/Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:48 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gramicci101
Did anything promising come out of talking to MSD or another ignition system company?
We do not have an answer yet. We do understand that certain things can be done.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:52 AM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by cjv
We were holdng off sending the car to ERP for the wide body and additional suspension work until after the motor install. Due to the final motor assembly taking sooooo long we are toying with the idea of sending the body (without motor) to ERP now.
Chad,

Did you send the body to ERP? Thanks.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:33 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Phoenix
Chad,

Did you send the body to ERP? Thanks.
Not yet, but I did pay for some parts that Cary is holding.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:42 PM
dgussin1 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by cjv
We do not have an answer yet. We do understand that certain things can be done.
I would not neglect the spark side of things as a proper system can count for +/-10% power increases.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:34 AM
cjv
dgussin1 and Gramicci101,

I just recieved the information regarding upgrading the ignition. What is being suggested is a MSD Ignition Box part #6420 and a MSD coil part #8297.

This appears to be a fairly easy install.

Now that you guys brought this up ............. I'm wondering if anyone on the board has done this yet? We are definitely going to try it.

Last edited by cjv; 06-02-2007 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:30 AM
cool...keep us posted on how it works out. I'd be interested in seeing these vs. the stock at the same boost, timing and a/f.

BTW, what kind of timing can you get away with at WOT on a 91, 93, and a 100 octane tune?

Old 06-02-2007, 12:46 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by dgussin1
cool...keep us posted on how it works out. I'd be interested in seeing these vs. the stock at the same boost, timing and a/f.

BTW, what kind of timing can you get away with at WOT on a 91, 93, and a 100 octane tune?
The motor as a whole will produced about three times what a stock motor produces. Our timing won't make alot of sense compared to stock motors because of the cams and the fact we are running about a 700 degree lower combustion head temperature. This combination allows us to comparitively push the timing on any of the octane fuels you mentioned above.

Last edited by cjv; 06-02-2007 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:53 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
dgussin1 and Gramicci101,

I just recieved the information regarding upgrading the ignition. What is being suggested is a MSD Ignition Box part #6420 and a MSD coil part #8297.

This appears to be a fairly easy install.

Now that you guys brought this up ............. I'm wondering if anyone on the board has done this yet? We are definitely going to try it.
Well James and I were exploring this because a lot of the high HP vipers, supras etc... go that route but it's a lot of wiring/customization (hah not that it's ever stopped you before) and we never got the time to go far with it. The part numbers you have there are the right ones tho, or at least what we tried to use... This was back in my crazy 2bar days and we needed some help...

Old 06-02-2007, 06:55 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
The motor as a whole will produced about three times what a stock motor produces. Our timing won't make alot of sense compared to stock motors because of the cams and the fact we are running about a 700 degree lower combustion head temperature. This combination allows us to comparitively push the timing on any of the octane fuels you mentioned above.
CJV what's your thoughts on the whole issue of what gas to run? As you know some of these mega-power rides (TT Vipers, Supras etc...) with huge turbos can't really rely on 91- even with lowered compression. Once you get to that big-power phase you're going to be using MS109 or unleaded aren't you? I know you don't want to ruin those nice Europipe cats

For the 3.8 GT800 we built running 91 is basically going to be the "stock" mode. AKA low-boost and boring as hell There really is such a huge delta in performance on those cars with 91vs100/9 vs the GT700s and smaller turbos etc...

Old 06-02-2007, 06:58 PM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
I can now say that I made an important addition to Chad's project. Cheers for me.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:10 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by sharkster
CJV what's your thoughts on the whole issue of what gas to run? As you know some of these mega-power rides (TT Vipers, Supras etc...) with huge turbos can't really rely on 91- even with lowered compression. Once you get to that big-power phase you're going to be using MS109 or unleaded aren't you? I know you don't want to ruin those nice Europipe cats

For the 3.8 GT800 we built running 91 is basically going to be the "stock" mode. AKA low-boost and boring as hell There really is such a huge delta in performance on those cars with 91vs100/9 vs the GT700s and smaller turbos etc...
sharkster,

You are going to be in for a pleasant surprise. Keep your combustion chambers/exhaust ports and headers significantly cooler and you will be astonished at the power developed with 91 thru 100 octane. WE have lowered our head temps by 700 degrees F. I might also add we droppped our compression ratio just a tad. As in 2/10th's of a point. The 80.4 mm crank also develops gobs of torque in the lower rpm ranges.

With that said, I intend to run 91 on the street with 100 reserved for rare occassions.

Last edited by cjv; 06-03-2007 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:53 PM
hi cjv, those coatings? Dropping compression certainly helps make it safer when boosting with 91 that much is for sure. I have to take you for a ride in our new beastie (6speed). It's not going to be anywhere near your madness but you'll get to see what those 30s are like in the mid 700 awhp range...

Old 06-03-2007, 11:02 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Chad i sent you a pm, please reply when you get a chance!

Old 06-03-2007, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by cjv
I was just curious to compare, as I dont know enough about porsche's. Us positive displacement blower modular cobra guys run anywhere from 19-23* of timing on pump gas and 23-27* on race gas.

Regards...

Old 06-04-2007, 11:02 AM
cjv
Inconvenient Truth

I read with some interest the following letter from Excellence.

"I'd like to address an issue regarding May, 2005 article on the F77 conversion, and especially the side bar. All the work done on Mr. Willard's 997S was done in California. I believe some of the modifications - especially the airbox and the exhaust modifications - would cause the car to fail the visual inspection portion of a California Smog Check. Any modification of this nature will require a California Air Resources Board Executive Order numberfor them to be "legal."

CARB's website (www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.ph ) fails to reveal any EO numbers listed for the Champion Motorsports parts. Even though a car so modified may pass the emissions portion of the test, it would fail. The consequences are the car could not be registered or sold in The State of California. Sure the car is currently registered, but the first time that the DMV requires a smog check, the car would have to be made stock or sold outside of California.

This is a serious issue for those of us who live in states that use this standard - and other states have adapted or are about to adopt California's regulations. I personally know of several people who have had expensive modifications made to their Porsche's and then had to pay to have everything removed in order to sell their cars.

Jim Norris
Portola Valley, California"

Excellence's replay was:

"Editor-Thankyou for raising an important, if complicated issue. California's emissions requirements remain a moving target. Recent developments in some areas of the state include chassis-dyno testing - though all-wheel-drive cars are at this point, exempt - instead of the previous static, rpm based sniffer test. New-car buyer's are exempt from testing for the first few years, which has given rise to a new level of comfort in modifying new cars.

In practice, we've watched some shops place little ro no emphasis on the visual portion of the test since the chassis-dyno testing began, but we wouldn't advise counting on it. So, as you state, new-Porsche owners need to consider the legality of any modifications they make. They may have expensive ramifications."

My thoughts to this letter are, modifications that I should consider avoiding readily visible modifications like eliminating the stock air filter, external waste gates, etc. I have seen cars in California fail the visual resulting in the owner reinstalling the stock visable parts.

Last edited by cjv; 06-04-2007 at 11:28 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring