Tuning/Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:44 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Chad what we did on the 3.8 was make things "look" as stock as possible. Anything that had any red/blue or other colors we made black and/or silver. We also tell people to keep their stock airboxes for smog-time since it's easy to change. I also make sure no exhaust/headers are "shiny".... blast them.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:15 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
Chad what we did on the 3.8 was make things "look" as stock as possible. Anything that had any red/blue or other colors we made black and/or silver. We also tell people to keep their stock airboxes for smog-time since it's easy to change. I also make sure no exhaust/headers are "shiny".... blast them.
sharkster,

I'm with you on the colors and the "look.". My indecision now is things like the external waste gates, pulling the air right off the turbo intake's. Routing the air from the stock or even a EVO set up is really restricting on big turbo's. There just isn't enough room to suficiently snake large enough piping from the existing filter location to the turbo intake. On the other hand, it isn't worth it if you fail the smog visual. I'm really considering using the TIAL hybrids with the internal wastegates even though the power won't be as much.

Any ideas?

Last edited by cjv; 06-04-2007 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:52 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Hey CJV... my car (s) run the Tial hybrids and we have passed GT700s and 800s. Even visually! But with external waste gates there's just no way they can pass you. That's the first thing they look for with all the Supras, EVOs etc... The waste gate manufacturers _always_ use these silly colors/polish that makes them really stand out not to mention the piping. If I were you I'd go with the hybrids. Yes it'll sacrifice some power but on your car... I don't think it'll matter Having said that I've only done this on the 28s and 30s so far. If you're using something larger like a GT35 or 42 there's just no way around it- you'd have to use external waste gates to make those things work right.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:48 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Hey CJV... my car (s) run the Tial hybrids and we have passed GT700s and 800s. Even visually! But with external waste gates there's just no way they can pass you. That's the first thing they look for with all the Supras, EVOs etc... The waste gate manufacturers _always_ use these silly colors/polish that makes them really stand out not to mention the piping. If I were you I'd go with the hybrids. Yes it'll sacrifice some power but on your car... I don't think it'll matter Having said that I've only done this on the 28s and 30s so far. If you're using something larger like a GT35 or 42 there's just no way around it- you'd have to use external waste gates to make those things work right.
sharkster,

My thoughts exactly. I have a set of TIAL laying around. Here are some pics. I know they won't have the same power as the 35's but we won't have the testing issue to worry about.

Last edited by cjv; 06-04-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:03 PM
cjv

Last edited by cjv; 06-04-2007 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:09 PM
hah those are _exactly_ the same as the ones on my car. I'm heading out to EVO tonight but once the car gets back from tuning in the next week or so you're welcome to see how responsive they are. Those are the same ones as mine with the .50 AR. The ones now have a newer style housing and .76 I believe...

Old 06-04-2007, 04:17 PM
cjv
sharkster,

I guess the question now would be the MAF. Our current MAF is located just prior to the throttle body (high pressure side). This would stick out like a sore thumb. I wonder if we could make it work in the stock position on the low pressure side?

Old 06-04-2007, 04:23 PM
cjv
hah those are _exactly_ the same as the ones on my car. I'm heading out to EVO tonight but once the car gets back from tuning in the next week or so you're welcome to see how responsive they are. Those are the same ones as mine with the .50 AR. The ones now have a newer style housing and .76 I believe...
The hot sides that I have are from a 1995 GT2. The housings and impellers have been modified a bit ( you can see grind marks) as far a flow.

Just not sure how to approach the MAF as it relates to the GT3 software transplanted to 996tt ecu. I'm sure there is an answer. What do you know about the Hitachi MAF that is recently being used?

Last edited by cjv; 06-04-2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by cjv
sharkster,

I guess the question now would be the MAF. Our current MAF is located just prior to the throttle body (high pressure side). This would stick out like a sore thumb. I wonder if we could make it work in the stock position on the low pressure side?
Yep that's an important point. So you've got something similair to protomotive's set up then with that y-pipe? It would look very suspect like that Your old set up was the scargo y-pipe and then stock (ish) airbox with the maf in place right before the CF plenum. That's basically how mine is right now (albeit a hitcahi).

Old 06-04-2007, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by cjv
The hot sides that I have are from a 1995 GT2. The housings and impellers have been modified a bit ( you can see grind marks) as far a flow.

Just not sure how to approach the MAF as it relates to the GT3 software transplanted to 996tt ecu. I'm sure there is an answer. What do you know about the Hitachi MAF that is recently being used?
I remember you telling me they were more honed out and hard to get You've got a very different situation there with that GT3 ECU and MAF close to the TB. I'd say any smog guy that looks at the diagram (emmisions one) on the decklid to see how the plumbing works isn't going to be happy. I'm still learing/find out on the Hitachi but it now reads properly for the high hp applications and I'm just glad that 700/800s are going this way...

Old 06-05-2007, 07:56 PM
cjv
I remember you telling me they were more honed out and hard to get You've got a very different situation there with that GT3 ECU and MAF close to the TB. I'd say any smog guy that looks at the diagram (emmisions one) on the decklid to see how the plumbing works isn't going to be happy. I'm still learing/find out on the Hitachi but it now reads properly for the high hp applications and I'm just glad that 700/800s are going this way...
sharkster,

Just had another long talk with Rob today. He wants to go all the way. We just took delivery on a set of 104 mm pistons/liners. We are waiting for the follow up stroker crank/rods. We decided to go for the 4.3 L motor to meet the displacement needed for the turbo's.

Last edited by cjv; 06-05-2007 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:01 PM
CLS
CLS will become famous soon enoughCLS will become famous soon enough
So....when do you think you'll have her on the road now with this change Chad?

Old 06-06-2007, 01:22 AM
Chasen1211 is a jewel in the roughChasen1211 is a jewel in the roughChasen1211 is a jewel in the rough
still think you'll make your dedline of mid-summer? I hope you do Chad....

Old 06-06-2007, 08:26 AM
cjv
Originally Posted by Chasen1211
still think you'll make your dedline of mid-summer? I hope you do Chad....
It will be complete this summer. Arrow Precision has already built one crank for us. We should have this one by early/mid July. Interestingly, these Arrow Precision racing cranks are made from billet, the turbo and GT3 motors use a forged crank.

Last edited by cjv; 06-06-2007 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:38 PM
cjv
I just looked and it was back on April 23rd that my heads and liners were suppose to be sent out to be o-ringed. That was 52 days ago and still counting.

I've lost all interest in this project. It's time to religate this project to a time capsule in the warehouse. Time to move on. Sorry it is ending this way.

Last edited by cjv; 06-16-2007 at 07:41 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring