996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Procedure to eliminate the malfunction light from the spoiler.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 09:44 PM
Pierre996TT has a spectacular aura aboutPierre996TT has a spectacular aura aboutPierre996TT has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation Procedure to eliminate the malfunction light from the spoiler.

I have seen a lot of people asking for the same question:

"How to eliminate the malfunction light from the spoiler."

In my case I do not want the wing go up anymore, others just want the GT2 deck and no this annoying sound and light.

I have done some search on the board (Porsche PhD) and it seems that there is a cheap and simple way:

1.- Unplug the harness on the right side of the engine deck.

2.- If you look at the harness from the rear, with the lock at the top:
a) Start at the bottom row:
i. thick brown and thick black = fan motor
ii. next to them a thin red/blue and brown/red =lamp
iii. next is a single thin wire for brake light power

b) top row:
i. BLANK,
ii. then first is a single wire for the brake light(signal),
iii. next a green gray spoiler switch wire,
iv. next yellow/green thick spoiler motor (positive) ,
v. next thin gray/brown spoiler switch,
vi. Last thick green/blue (ground) spoiler motor.

3.- Unplug the thick green/blue, by pulling it out of the harness (ground for motor), Tape it up.

4.- Then connect gray/brown with a spoiler power thick yellow/green.

5.- No light no hot spoiler motor wires.

6.- You can remove the spoiler switch bottom from the dash if needed.

Last edited by Pierre996TT; 08-09-2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Pierre996TT has a spectacular aura aboutPierre996TT has a spectacular aura aboutPierre996TT has a spectacular aura about
I did it and work if you want to leave the wing up or down permanently with no annoying light&sound.

I did a correction on step 3 and 4.

Thanks 996TT_STEVO for your help !!!

Old 08-09-2007, 05:18 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
I have the same problem right now. Only mine is stuck up. I hear the motors running when pressing the switch but it doesnt move! Anyway I can manually get them down? I would rather have it stuck down then up.

Its a good thing I just got a GT2 decklid!

Old 08-09-2007, 11:27 PM
bm3r is on a distinguished road
great thread!

my spoiler light is on as well...the spoiler still goes up at 70+mph. What do you think is wrong?

Its an 01 Carrera 2 cabriolet

TIA!

Old 08-10-2007, 06:56 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
BM3r,

competely different animal that you have, ours are hydraulic.

timely post, mine goes up, stays up...sometimes goes down mostly
stays up. Light is on, death of system is imminent.

MK

Old 08-10-2007, 06:59 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Question,

for future (and occasionally, current) high speed runs up to
185 ish; Should I make my spoiler stay up??
Or should I keep it down?
Will it affect high speed stability?

MK

Old 08-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
BM3r,

competely different animal that you have, ours are hydraulic.

timely post, mine goes up, stays up...sometimes goes down mostly
stays up. Light is on, death of system is imminent.

MK

what do you mean by yours being hydraulic? what system is mine? this is really making me worry, how much will it cost if the system fails??

thanks-JR

Old 08-10-2007, 04:09 PM
FVD-USA is on a distinguished road
The spoiler light comes and fault 9150 is set in the cluster when the spoiler drive does not "go up" at vehicle speeds in excess of 75mph. This light comes on as a safety feature, as the wings default safety position is up. Reason being at higher speeds it is better to have the spoiler stuck up rather than stuck down for downforce. Now the fault can be set even if the wing goes "up" but the left and right side of the spoiler dont come up evenly or all the way up according to the microswitch inputs located on the right side spoiler cylinder. This is usually due to leaking spoiler ram hydraulic cylinders. The cylinders, up untill recently, could be replaced individually. This meant removal of the entire unit, bench bleeding the pump and cylinders with CHF 11s (or 202 now) and reassembly, pain in the A$$. They now come only as a complete assembly with both ram cylinders, a pump and pre bled. This costs around $2000 USD. Now not that this is any kind of proper repair, but when installing aftermarket rear wings, such as a GT2 wing on a 996TT, it is necessary to "trick" the spoiler-up microswitch into thinking the factory is up all the time. With that being said, if one was to trick the spoiler up microswitch into thinking the wing is up, regardless of true wing position, the fault would go away and the light would go off. Hmmmmmm, I wonder how thats done.................. Please DONT quote me on this -use a DVOM to chk if the pins are correct for your vehicle - if your smart enough to be attampting this- you are smart enough to use a DVO meter. If you jump (bridge) pins 2 and 5 on the decklid connector, the switch should think its up.
Happy wrenching
Mark Hatfield
FVD Technical Department

Old 08-10-2007, 11:45 PM
ok tell me if this is normal...the spoiler light is on when I start the car up, but after driving the car the light turns off?? The spoiler still goes up at 70+mph and you can still manually put it up and down. Why is my spoiler light on?

Thanks!

Old 08-11-2007, 03:37 AM
silvershark will become famous soon enough
This is a good thread on an obvious common problem.
I too, in the last month have experienced a wing malfunction.
It would be interesting to have a poll, on how many wing issues are out there.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:54 AM
M3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura about
Hey thanks for the info. I received the same info from Steven at IA, and did the rewire, but still get the spoiler malfunction light at 75mph.

"If you jump (bridge) pins 2 and 5 on the decklid connector, the switch should think its up."

So what are pins 2 and 5? I would like to make the light disappear. Thanks.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:08 AM
ok tell me if this is normal...the spoiler light is on when I start the car up, but after driving the car the light turns off?? The spoiler still goes up at 70+mph and you can still manually put it up and down. Why is my spoiler light on?

Thanks!

Old 08-12-2007, 11:44 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
You can also buy the aerokit harness for like 75.00 which also takes care of the issue.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:02 PM
ko23 is on a distinguished road
I don't know how to start a poll, but I bet this is alot more common than the 2nd gear pop out thingy that has been alluded to. My wing actuator has been replaced 4 times. (A few time with replacement part immediate fault)..

Old 08-15-2007, 04:49 PM
hkdude is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PorschePhd
You can also buy the aerokit harness for like 75.00 which also takes care of the issue.
Phd,

Do you by chance have a part number?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Procedure to eliminate the malfunction light from the spoiler.