997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

08 997tt tip with trans leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 09:35 PM
Topher is just really niceTopher is just really niceTopher is just really niceTopher is just really niceTopher is just really nice
08 997tt tip with trans leak

I'm the 3rd owner of the CPO car with 18k miles on it now, 14k when I got her. I discovered some trans fluid in the garage so took it my local mechanic and he told me it was 1 quart low on trans fluid so I trailered her 2 hours to Brumos Porsche in Jacksonville FL. I spoke with the service manager and Porsche shipped a new (I'm assuming rebuilt) tranmission from Germany.

Is it unusual to have such a large trans leak?

Is it unusual for Porsche to just replace the entire transmission? It makes me wonder if there was significant damage so they just replaced it?

Is it most likely a rebuilt trans?

The trans was shifting with a slight hesitation between gears sometimes under WOT with the softronic ECU flash, but when set back to stock the hesitation wasn't there.

Thanks in advance guys!

Chris

Last edited by Topher; 10-30-2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:28 AM
jessesick is on a distinguished road
08 tip as well my first one had a leak and said it was a recall issue with axel seals ....

Old 10-31-2014, 06:46 AM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
Happened to my car at 20k miles it was the trans leaking bad. I sent the whole box to Renntech, and they rebuilt my whole trans for around 3900. Trans has been bullet proof with about 800whp for a few years already actually. I don't think its necessary for them to replace the whole unit.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:02 AM
Topher is just really niceTopher is just really niceTopher is just really niceTopher is just really niceTopher is just really nice
I'm not sure why they replaced the whole trans, I'm not complaining but I have a feeling they found something in the old trans.

Seeing all the modded cars, like yours, gets my mind going. I modded the crap out of my old bike, just haven't started on the turbo...yet!

Old 11-01-2014, 05:15 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Its self contained. They will always replace the full unit for everything. They dont rebuild anything at the dealer or replace something that causes them to crack open the case. They will ship it back to germany tear it apart rebuild it and use that one to replace the next one. So you basically get a zero mile tranny.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:01 PM
jessesick is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Squat
Its self contained. They will always replace the full unit for everything. They dont rebuild anything at the dealer or replace something that causes them to crack open the case. They will ship it back to germany tear it apart rebuild it and use that one to replace the next one. So you basically get a zero mile tranny.
Exactly what they told me too

Old 11-01-2014, 06:16 PM
I picked her up Friday and the service manager told me it was the seal under the trans and Porsche's standards are to replace it. I specifically asked if it was new or rebuilt and he said new. If it wasn't under warranty he said they probably would have replaced the gasket. I think he said a new trans was 17k...yikes! Glad I got a CPO!

Today I stopped at a car wash with the wife since we are on vacation just to spray the dust off. I left her in the car and it running and pressure washed it. Shortly after,the check engine light comes on, so I'm thinking some water got in the engine and triggered it and it will go off shortly. We drove another 30 miles and cycled it on and off as we shopped. It's still on. We drove back to the resort and let her sit for 45 minutes and went out to start her and it still has the check engine.

So now we are supposed to head back home tomorrow and I hope the light goes off in the morning otherwise I have to decide whether to take her 1 hour back to the dealer and leave her or drive 2 hours home.

Anyone have any suggestions, it appears the pressure wash triggered the light. I didn't spray directly into the engine vents or exhaust. Maybe leaving her running as I washed?

Old 11-01-2014, 10:07 PM
nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !
Take it to get serviced. Don't wait for it to disappear. Alternatively find someone with a Durametric and figure out what the CEL represents.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:15 PM
To conclude this thread...

This morning I decided it must be the water pressure car wash while the car was running that caused the engine light and decided to drive it home. About half way home I stopped for gas and when I started her up the engine light didn't come on, it made my day and the end of my vacation weekend complete.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:48 PM
MK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud of
I had the same issue with mine around 30K miles--some seal that apparently goes bad with tips and rather than just replace the seal, they replaced the whole transmission. While under CPO, they could replace the whole car for all I cared. But if out of warranty, $15K would be a large pill to swallow. So much for these cars being "bulletproof"

Old 11-03-2014, 04:19 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MK23
I had the same issue with mine around 30K miles--some seal that apparently goes bad with tips and rather than just replace the seal, they replaced the whole transmission. While under CPO, they could replace the whole car for all I cared. But if out of warranty, $15K would be a large pill to swallow. So much for these cars being "bulletproof"
I think they are basically bulletproof. Porsche just doesnt want to deal with anything like that. Name another place that drops 15k+ on a car for a little leak.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:00 PM
I may put the softronic tune back on tonight and see how she does with the new tranny

Maybe I have bad luck with Porsches, I bought a private party 06 Cayman S about 3 years ago and the IMS went. The previous owner had a 3rd party warranty and they paid for the rebuild and an upgraded IMS bearing. Maybe I'm lucky or I just need pay 190k minus my trade in and get the new one that was there at Brumos, it's the right color

Last edited by Topher; 11-03-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:45 PM
nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !
Took my 07 Tip in today to get the trans sump gasket checked out. It was replaced 10,000km ago due to a very slight leak. Leaking again. They'll sort the sump gasket for free as they warranty their work but concerned it has happened again. Apparently is a finicky seal and difficult to get seated properly by hand. Wish I had CPO...

Last edited by nzskater; 11-04-2014 at 01:09 AM.