Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Water coolant issues? or just sensitive sensors?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 04:57 AM
Jimmi is on a distinguished road
Water coolant issues? or just sensitive sensors?

Hi All

The other day my water coolant level warning came up so I went straight to the garage to top it up with water, but found that it only needed half a bottle? is that normal due to the sensors being very sensitive? I hope its not some water coolant issue, mind you since i topped it up about 4 days ago the warning hasnt come up?

Old 12-30-2010, 08:13 AM
snzuloz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jimmi
Hi All

The other day my water coolant level warning came up so I went straight to the garage to top it up with water, but found that it only needed half a bottle? is that normal due to the sensors being very sensitive? I hope its not some water coolant issue, mind you since i topped it up about 4 days ago the warning hasnt come up?
What are you driving? Warranty?
I would keep a very close eye on it (look where you park for any signs of coolant), if your coolant pipes are still plastic (original) it would be very cost effective to be proactive rather than wait for it to develop and potentially cost some big money to replace trans input seal, starter etc, let alone leave you stranded.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:56 AM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
You need to be using good coolant and only Water in emergency situations.

The coolant does burn off over time, and typically a warning will fire off sproradically in hard turns, so just top it off.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:48 PM
seankrider is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cordsig79
Okay - so is that true?

I called 4 nearby P-dealers back in October on this exact question, and every one of them said straight tap water would work fine, even for long term use (Northern California).

Not distilled, not the P-coolant.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:12 PM
deposits become a big issue in the future.....just sold a jeep I bought at the same time as the Cayenne. Radiator had Stalagtites in it basically from not enough coolant to stop deposit formations. Both have/had 100k, cayenne just has wear on leather seats and Jeep fell completely apart.

Its your car but I would stick with pure coolant for longevity.

87 octane works too but it doesnt burn hot enough and you'll feel real sluggish.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:16 PM
oh and due to the tap water, I had to replace the clutch fan, thermostat, hoses, and was probably close to having a head gasket blow, along with flushing the radiator every 6 months.

I know coolant can be corrosive and maybe it was just a chrysler build issue but, Id rather be pure on this car.

I maybe eating my words in the future and posting a thread on how to put a crate V8 engine and match it to the current tranny!!

Old 12-30-2010, 05:10 PM
seankrider is on a distinguished road
So those were my thoughts exactly... until 4 out of 4 service guys at the dealers said don't worry about it.

I think I'm running 50-50 since an October when I put in aluminum pipes. Dealer sold me 2 gallons to refill it, saying that was the capacity. Of course it holds 4, and I forgot to check before I drove over there.

Should I flush it out and refill with coolant only?

Old 12-30-2010, 08:08 PM
snzuloz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by seankrider
So those were my thoughts exactly... until 4 out of 4 service guys at the dealers said don't worry about it.

I think I'm running 50-50 since an October when I put in aluminum pipes. Dealer sold me 2 gallons to refill it, saying that was the capacity. Of course it holds 4, and I forgot to check before I drove over there.

Should I flush it out and refill with coolant only?
Keep your coolant at the 50-50 mix, it will be fine-this is the recommended mix for most coolants on the market (cooling would be affected-thats what the water is for). The only way that there is any corrosion in the system is from a breakdown of the coolant over time (poor maintenance or not using long life antifreeze), combustion leaks-minor obviously. Most corrosion occurs for those that skimp on the antifreeze and don't have enough of the additives from the coolant to protect such items as rads, water pumps etc. Distilled water is recommended as well, but I have had no issues with tap water over my years.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:14 AM
Originally Posted by snzuloz
Keep your coolant at the 50-50 mix, it will be fine-this is the recommended mix for most coolants on the market (cooling would be affected-thats what the water is for). The only way that there is any corrosion in the system is from a breakdown of the coolant over time (poor maintenance or not using long life antifreeze), combustion leaks-minor obviously. Most corrosion occurs for those that skimp on the antifreeze and don't have enough of the additives from the coolant to protect such items as rads, water pumps etc. Distilled water is recommended as well, but I have had no issues with tap water over my years.
Thats what is funny about the Jeep, I figured whats good for the goose is good for the gander.....meaning I put the P dealers recommended "long life" coolant in the Jeep too. The Jeep guys blamed me for not using water for the corrosion, then blamed the possible tap water usage when it was intially purchased on the buildup?

Ah....whats real, whats not? The P held up so far anyway with the dealer coolant.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:42 AM
Jimmi is on a distinguished road
water coolant!

Originally Posted by cordsig79

The coolant does burn off over time, and typically a warning will fire off sproradically in hard turns, so just top it off.

thanks guys, i double checked and one of the guys at the dealers recommended topping it up if the sensors tell me to.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Jeff SD is a jewel in the roughJeff SD is a jewel in the roughJeff SD is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Jimmi
Hi All

I would still bring it in for a pressure test.