Ran COTA again yesterday

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 05:12 PM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
Ran COTA again yesterday

Here is my fastest lap at 2:42 it's 6 seconds faster than my best of 2:48 from my first time out in July. I didn't do a good job on the apexes at 1,11,12 and 20 yesterday, those are all late apexes and I think I could have done better. I will be working on them but I got a lot better at 6-7-8 and 16-17-18 by carrying more speed in them and also I probably carried 10mph more through the esses 3-6 by changing where I was looking.

Notice that I am chasing a white 911, it's a 2009 Carrera S and he has done some work on the car to make it faster and he had NTOs as well. I caught him the next lap but we go the checker before I caught him. We were garage mates. In the next run I passed him early by virtue of the fact I was much closer to him at the start. This car is really amazing. One of the instructors told me I needed a lesser car in order to learn to drive. He did however admit that I was driving fast and that the car did everything I wanted it to do. LOL! That is the second guy I have had tell me that. Funny though, the other instructors were perfectly OK with the amount of brake I used. Oh well, can't please them all.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:26 PM
webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !
Look's like fun... Thks for the vid

Old 09-07-2015, 08:31 PM
roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !
Nice video, car looks and sounds like it pulls hard. I was there this past weekend as well. First time at COTA and I love it. It's very technical. What tires were you running?

Old 09-08-2015, 07:55 AM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by roncfpz
Nice video, car looks and sounds like it pulls hard. I was there this past weekend as well. First time at COTA and I love it. It's very technical. What tires were you running?
Thanks, I think I took a picture of your car. Looks like you came a long way to run here. I am running straight OEM PZeros. New pair on the back but the ones on the front have about 9500 miles on them and I will replace them before the Nov 1 event. What run group were you in? I tried to video all the really cool cars and somehow I didn't get yours. I got a Lambo at the last event and it sounds amazing. That is one of my favorite parts about the event is watching all the really fast cars in the white run group. I was in yellow this time and blue last time. I need more events before I can drive without an instructor. This was only my second track day. I haven't figured out how to look for the flag guys yet or pay attention to my mirrors so I am going to have to work on that in order to go solo.

Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2015, 09:24 AM
roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wrs
Thanks, I think I took a picture of your car. Looks like you came a long way to run here. I am running straight OEM PZeros. New pair on the back but the ones on the front have about 9500 miles on them and I will replace them before the Nov 1 event. What run group were you in? I tried to video all the really cool cars and somehow I didn't get yours. I got a Lambo at the last event and it sounds amazing. That is one of my favorite parts about the event is watching all the really fast cars in the white run group. I was in yellow this time and blue last time. I need more events before I can drive without an instructor. This was only my second track day. I haven't figured out how to look for the flag guys yet or pay attention to my mirrors so I am going to have to work on that in order to go solo.
That's us. It was well worth the travel and expense. We had the cars shipped so it was pretty convenient vs pulling the trailer.

We were in red group. You did excellent from what I see in the video. I learned to track in a Gallardo so IMHO you're just fine learning in your TT. I actually think it's better IF you are controlled which you certainly were in the video. You learn to control the power and pedal modulation versus a low HP car.

For only your 2nd track day you did fantastic on a very technical track. Good luck and hopefully we'll meet out there in the future. We'll definitely be back; when it's a little cooler.

Last thing, if you get a chance check out Pirelli Trofeo R for your car; much better grip and track tire.

Ron

Old 09-09-2015, 11:43 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Awesome to see you having so much fun with it!
How is heat soak feeling on the move? Are inter coolers on your wish list? Would love to get some feedback from the road-coarse.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:09 PM
wrs
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Awesome to see you having so much fun with it!
How is heat soak feeling on the move? Are inter coolers on your wish list? Would love to get some feedback from the road-coarse.
The heat soak is more an issue for drag racing. On the road course the car is moving at high enough speeds that the cooling fans don't even stay on when I turn the car off after a 25 minute run. The cooling on this car is impressive because the guy who was sharing the garage with me had a 2009 C2S to which he had added an extra center radiator and even with that, his cooling fan was staying on after the runs. I have seen more problems with the effect of heat soak on my drag racing trap speeds than I have with the car slowing down later in the day at the track. I only notice some effect on the long back stretch by the end of the day in the top speed. The later runs I am only seeing 151mph top speed while earlier in the day I get 158-159mph. I am going to be running again on Nov. 1 and it may be that cooler air will make a difference on my top speed on that back stretch. My lap times are a little lower later because the track gets greasy when it's hot so you get less grip in the afternoon and it takes more time to get through the turns.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:55 PM
justthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud of
Looks like a great time. I'd love to get any car of mine out on that track!

Old 09-13-2015, 08:18 PM
drsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by wrs
Here is my fastest lap at 2:42 it's 6 seconds faster than my best of 2:48 from my first time out in July.
Very nice! Thanks for the post. I'm headed to COTA next month for F1.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:43 PM
Rez
Rez Is a GOD !Rez Is a GOD !Rez Is a GOD !Rez Is a GOD !Rez Is a GOD !Rez Is a GOD !Rez Is a GOD !Rez Is a GOD !Rez Is a GOD !Rez Is a GOD !Rez Is a GOD !
Hey, nice video! I'm the guy you were chasing, I thought it was likely me and then you mentioned the center radiator and and I was sure.

Good driving, hope to see you out there again.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:09 AM
wrs
Originally Posted by Rez
Hey, nice video! I'm the guy you were chasing, I thought it was likely me and then you mentioned the center radiator and and I was sure.

Good driving, hope to see you out there again.
Hey Trent! It is Trent right? My name memory isn't so great, mine is William. Glad to know your user ID. I upgraded to a Note 4 (not 5 since it can't do the SD card). I am going to get Harry's Lap Timer GP, the OBDLink Wifi and a GPS antenna so I can do that same setup you have. What Antenna did you buy? Also, did you get some video of me in front of you? I did pass you in the last session early but I passed a lot of other cars after that too so you may not have been following me long.

I will be out there on Nov. 1, are you going? You might comment some on heat soak and the mods you have made to your car and your impressive data collection setup.

Last edited by wrs; 09-15-2015 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:29 AM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
That looks like an awesome time. I have had a couple opportunities to drive COTA but unfortunately for one reason or other, had to pass. I keep hearing about what a badass track it is.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:04 AM
wrs
Originally Posted by ecpChris
That looks like an awesome time. I have had a couple opportunities to drive COTA but unfortunately for one reason or other, had to pass. I keep hearing about what a badass track it is.
Well thanks for the props. I would like to get 2:30 or better. I think I should be able to and that is my goal with PZeros.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:37 AM
Rez
Rez Is a GOD !Rez Is a GOD !Rez Is a GOD !Rez Is a GOD !Rez Is a GOD !Rez Is a GOD !Rez Is a GOD !Rez Is a GOD !Rez Is a GOD !Rez Is a GOD !Rez Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wrs
Hey Trent! It is Trent right? My name memory isn't so great, mine is William. Glad to know your user ID. I upgraded to a Note 4 (not 5 since it can't do the SD card). I am going to get Harry's Lap Timer GP, the OBDLink Wifi and a GPS antenna so I can do that same setup you have. What Antenna did you buy? Also, did you get some video of me in front of you? I did pass you in the last session early but I passed a lot of other cars after that too so you may not have been following me long.

I will be out there on Nov. 1, are you going? You might comment some on heat soak and the mods you have made to your car and your impressive data collection setup.
I went with one of the GPS receivers recommend on the Harry's Lap Timer page and got the Dual XGPS160. It's quick to acquire a fix when it has a view of the sky and lasted all day on one battery charge.

I haven't decided on the next day but the Nov 1 outing is something I'm considering, I'll let you know. I haven't had a chance to go through all the video but I'm sure I have you as I was shooting both front and rear.

The car is pretty stock with just an alignment to get some extra camber, the third radiator I installed as insurance on the engine, a set of Cool Carbon pads, and the Nitto NT01's that I use for the track.

- Trent