GIAC vs Cobb - same car same day

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 02:54 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Sounds like the same kind of crap weather we deal with most of the time down here in FL. I feel your pain.
At least you don't have to deal with sub-zero temps and tons of snow/salt!

Old 10-21-2015, 04:08 PM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by shifter_
so I'm headed out there tomorrow.

unfortunately the weather is not looking good for the weekend.

my plan was only to run a few times Friday and then install the AP.

however, it's looking like it's going to be tough to run back to backs as there will be limited runs available in between rain.

we may not even be able to run at all Friday or Saturday.

if that's the case, everyone will be trying to run Sunday, which will make it packed and hard to get multiple runs to do testing.

unfortunate that last week's weather was perfect and next week's will be as well.

just bad timing.
Yeah, I bought two 3 day Turn 1 Grandstand passes for F1 and it's looking like we get the same rain here Friday and Saturday.

But we need the rain.............

Old 10-23-2015, 11:48 AM
shifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond repute
Well so far no good news.

No rain this morning but still delayed for 3 hours to dry the track from a light sprinkle overnight.

Finally get going and run for about an hour and a half before a huge thunderstorm comes through and dumps 3in of rain and shuts everything down.

I was about 30 min from running my first run which has to be a qualifying run in order to go over 165mph.

More storms are on the way this afternoon so today's pretty shot and tomorrow is going to be storms all day.

The only hope is Sunday but it's going to be packed since 3/4 of the field still hasn't run yet.

I need at least 5 runs to do my tests and there's no way I will be able to get that many waiting 2 hours per run.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:08 PM
shifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond repute

It was feeling great but had to back down at the half because they had my training wheels on for the first run.

Was really hard after waiting all day long to finally get a run.

Hoping to get another run tonight but rain is in the forecast so seems unlikely.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:21 PM

I was the 4th person ever to run the Texas Mile at night.

Pretty crazy seeing the red lights at the end flashing at 180mph and feeling like you're on top of it but it's actually 1/2 mile away.

This was with a terrible DA into a 13mph head wind.

I'll run again Sunday in awesome conditions and hopefully break 195.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:20 AM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !

I was the 4th person ever to run the Texas Mile at night.

Pretty crazy seeing the red lights at the end flashing at 180mph and feeling like you're on top of it but it's actually 1/2 mile away.

This was with a terrible DA into a 13mph head wind.

I'll run again Sunday in awesome conditions and hopefully break 195.
That's scary fast. I never had mine over 170 but I haven't been to an event where there was enough length to do that. I missed the spring mile after I paid for it and I missed the Houston 1/2 mile event after paying for it. I paid for USGP and it's not happening today because of rain and the afternoon part of yesterday was rained out. Hope tomorrow is good weather.

Old 10-24-2015, 01:20 PM
Tomorrow is looking great!

62 degrees with 22mph tail wind.

And the rain should subside overnight so they can prep the track and get us running decently early in the morning.

My plan is to run once more with GIAC Stage 2+ Race and then install the AP while I'm waiting for my second run and run with Cobb Stage 3 100 octane.

Then I'm going to see about sending logs to Mitch and getting a custom tune sent over for a third run.

My best estimate with the conditions is that I may push 195 with GIAC.

If Cobb can get me over 200 I'll be converted for sure.

Old 10-24-2015, 01:49 PM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
While this is nice and thanks, for me it still isn't apples to apples. Too much time between the runs, you not familiar with the track, or should I say you would inevitably get better/faster as the runs go on with or without the change.

I would have liked to see true back to back to back runs to compare. Same temps, same track conditions, same car, same driver skill and comfort. The only things that changes in the tune back and forth. That to me is what is going to settle the GIAC vs Cobb once and for all. Who I am kidding, it won't but it would be closer to accurate.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:42 PM
Same car, same driver, same track, an hour apart isn't good enough?

Shrug.

If you don't like it, don't tune in.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:46 PM
webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !
I know for sure COBB will do better, but somebody will say some excuses and the story will repeat himself lol

Old 10-24-2015, 03:16 PM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !

Shrug.

+1

I agree

Old 10-24-2015, 03:34 PM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !

Shrug.

Take it easy. I do like it.

You yourself said this track is new to you and you had to work up to the speed. You yourself mentioned the different temps and chnging weather, no? I thought I read that these runs were like 3 hours apart and even one was during the day and one was at night, no?

Maybe I just can't read. Sorry, I will not post again. FWIW I am excited about this test oh yeah and a huge Cobb fan.

Old 10-24-2015, 04:05 PM
Yes the runs yesterday were tests.

The runs tomorrow morning are the ones that will directly compare the 2 tunes.

The weather will be tight and I am familiar with the track. At this point it's as simple as hammer down and hold on.

Old 10-24-2015, 04:45 PM
Yes the runs yesterday were tests.

The runs tomorrow morning are the ones that will directly compare the 2 tunes.

The weather will be tight and I am familiar with the track. At this point it's as simple as hammer down and hold on.
Ok. I missed that. Good luck. Have fun. Be safe and looking for the results.

Old 10-24-2015, 05:07 PM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
I personally don't know if I would have the ***** to go flat out to 190 and higher. Maybe if the adrenalin was pumping but it's just not something I could imagine doing. Definitely be safe and good luck

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GIAC vs Cobb - same car same day