GIAC vs Cobb - same car same day

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 10:42 AM
shifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond repute
GIAC vs Cobb - same car same day

I just ordered an AP.

I'm hitting the drag strip on Sunday to run my GIAC Stage 2+ first and then install the AP and run it right after.

Unfortunately it's only an 1/8mi strip but I should get some good real world results.

One downside is my SC2s didn't come in so I'm still running the crappy P zeros. So I won't be getting incredible 60' times or anything but I'm most interested in trap speed differences. I will probably try running without LC to keep the tire spin to a minimum.

I told Mitch if the Cobb shows better I'll keep it otherwise I'm sending it back.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:54 AM
jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by shifter_
I just ordered an AP.

I'm hitting the drag strip on Sunday to run my GIAC Stage 2+ first and then install the AP and run it right after.

Unfortunately it's only an 1/8mi strip but I should get some good real world results.

One downside is my SC2s didn't come in so I'm still running the crappy P zeros. So I won't be getting incredible 60' times or anything but I'm most interested in trap speed differences. I will probably try running without LC to keep the tire spin to a minimum.

I told Mitch if the Cobb shows better I'll keep it otherwise I'm sending it back.
Do you think 1/8 mile is enough? I think your numbers are going to be almost identical given such a short distance.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:05 AM
shifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond repute
Not if the dyno numbers and your experience running sdg's car says anything. The increased torque should be evident

But I also just picked up a vbox and will do some 1/4mi runs with it on the GIAC first and then the AP later at the same location.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:08 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
/subscribed

Old 10-09-2015, 11:46 AM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
Awesome. Subscribed. About time since the other thread is a mess.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:49 PM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
I cannot wait to see your results. So you will be running the Cobb stage III then

Old 10-09-2015, 12:58 PM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
Not if the dyno numbers and your experience running sdg's car says anything. The increased torque should be evident

But I also just picked up a vbox and will do some 1/4mi runs with it on the GIAC first and then the AP later at the same location.

That's a good idea. I have already done that and the FVD still has the better result. The problem is that the FVD run was taken in December when the temperature was about 70 and the recent run was taken with the temp being 88 so it's not apples to apples.

The first two are with the FVD on the county road and the last one is the best one I got day before yesterday with the Cobb. However, that run had really high IATs and there was knocking and timing pull above about 95mph.

What is really interesting about those runs is that the two FVD have better 60ft times but the speed at 60ft is lower than the Cobb. On the Cobb tune the 60ft speed is about 41mph while the two on the FVD module are below 40mph at 38 and 36. Pretty strange too because the slower 60ft FVD run has some obvious TC intervention around 30mph in the first 60ft but the car still runs a 130mph trap speed which is faster than either of the other two runs. Pretty sure this is going to be attributed to the outside temps being 65-70 and thus much lower IAT.

Attached Images    

Last edited by wrs; 10-09-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:04 PM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
My experience at Atco was that running without launch control did not work in the cold morning at all. Made my times worse is I just spun more. In the afternoon when the temperature warmed into the 70s and the Ontrack temperature was probably in the 80s or 90s my fastest runs were definitely without launch control because the tires hooked better. That is when I was getting multiple 10.3's[

Last edited by sdg1871; 10-09-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:27 PM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
You honestly won't see a large difference in the 1/8 at WOT between the 2 if looking at time slips. If anything the COBB tune would prob be worse 60' with around the same 1/8 mph because of the additional torque. Good luck either way. Stick with what suits you and your car better.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:06 PM
webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !

Do 60-130mph runs also, thats good example of power... Also the trap speed you get on the 1/4mile will be a good indicator.

Good Luck

Old 10-10-2015, 10:08 AM
well UPS sucks.

the AP is supposed to be delivered this morning and I check the tracking at about 10:50 and it says, we tried to deliver it at 10:45 and you weren't home.

I'm like, I've been sitting here all morning looking out the window waiting for the guy.

not only that, I already pre-signed the release so he could leave it without a signature.

so the guy obviously just didn't want to make the drive and phoned it in like I wasn't here. bull****.

so I call them and they don't want to do anything for me because everything is closed on Sat. they say it will come Monday. I say that's not acceptable since he never even came to deliver it today at all.

I finally got to a supervisor who's going to try to track down the driver and have him redeliver today. but I'm not holding my breath.

can't believe the shadiness.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:12 AM
webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !
Sucks

Old 10-10-2015, 11:55 AM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear that. Happened to me with a certified check that was overnighted on a Thursday. Didn't wind up getting it until Monday and they pulled the same exact crap that no one was home. Meanwhile my wife, kids, and about 12 contractors have been home every day. Super frustrating.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:18 PM
well, the supervisor called me and said she was going to arrange for me to pick up the box at my local distribution center today.

then never called back.

great.

so can't do my test tomorrow at the drag strip.

that really blows.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:26 PM
I did go out today and did some runs with my Vbox.

unfortunately it was raining earlier, so the roads were too wet to launch.

nothing but tire spin in first gear, wouldn't hook at all.

but I did some 60-130 tests.

7.57s is my baseline, but it's slightly uphill.

but I will run the same location with the Cobb later.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GIAC vs Cobb - same car same day