GIAC vs Cobb - same car same day

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 12:33 PM
shifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond repute
Score one for Cobb and I haven't even run yet today.

I think some rain got into my fuel barrel and so when I pumped it into the tank I got water in there.

This created misfires which threw the check engine light.

I got clean fuel in there and drove 20 miles to clean everything out and it was running great again but still the check engine light which obviously messes with the engine.

Plugged in the AP and without even installing it I was able to reset the ECU and clear all the codes and the check engine.

Without it I would have been sunk for today's runs.

Old 10-25-2015, 12:35 PM
shifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond repute
Should start running within the hour and then I'm about 2 hours in line. So probably 4pm CDT for my first run today with GIAC.

Then get back in line and install the AP. Hopefully a lot of guys will only do one run today and then bail to get home so the second runs will come much quicker.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:47 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Shifter do you have the Cobb upgraded turbo red 991?

Old 10-25-2015, 03:26 PM
jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by shifter_
Should start running within the hour and then I'm about 2 hours in line. So probably 4pm CDT for my first run today with GIAC.

Then get back in line and install the AP. Hopefully a lot of guys will only do one run today and then bail to get home so the second runs will come much quicker.
This is turning into a pretty exciting and action packed Sunday, between The Texas Mile and Shift-S3ctor. Looking forward to hearing your opinion

Old 10-25-2015, 03:46 PM
Basic Sponsor
COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !
Please let me know if you need anything and please be safe out there!

Mitch.mckee@cobbtuning.com

-Mitch

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM BAILEY | JARED BRONSON | GRANT EPHROSS | ANDREW SCHWARZKOPF | HJ LEE

COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE | CONTACT US

Old 10-25-2015, 03:53 PM
Made my first run with GIAC Stage 2+ at 188.7mph. It's a little cold so did get wheel spin in second and had to lift off for a second. I'm sure that impacted the final speed slightly.

Unfortunately they don't have the half mile trap working so no half mile speed today.

Installing AP right now with Stage 3 100 octane and will make another run in about 1.5 hours I'm guessing.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:19 PM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
Made my first run with GIAC Stage 2+ at 188.7mph. It's a little cold so did get wheel spin in second and had to lift off for a second. I'm sure that impacted the final speed slightly.

Unfortunately they don't have the half mile trap working so no half mile speed today.

Installing AP right now with Stage 3 100 octane and will make another run in about 1.5 hours I'm guessing.
Good luck, that OTS map is pretty solid and i think you will be pleased
Again, be safe. Those are some crazy speeds

Old 10-25-2015, 05:21 PM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ecpChris
Good luck, that OTS map is pretty solid and i think you will be pleased
Again, be safe. Those are some crazy speeds
+1

Be careful. Wish I was doing it too.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:35 PM
webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !
Score one for Cobb and I haven't even run yet today.

I think some rain got into my fuel barrel and so when I pumped it into the tank I got water in there.

This created misfires which threw the check engine light.

I got clean fuel in there and drove 20 miles to clean everything out and it was running great again but still the check engine light which obviously messes with the engine.

Plugged in the AP and without even installing it I was able to reset the ECU and clear all the codes and the check engine.

Without it I would have been sunk for today's runs.

Only for that COBB is better than giac... But hey, what do I know

Do you ever run with COBB tune?

Old 10-26-2015, 07:55 AM
Cobb Stage 3 100 octane ran 190.7. Then I sent logs to Mitch and got a custom tune and ran 190.3. The tail wind had died down some so that could have contributed.

However, after installing the AP I realized that my earlier 188.7 on GIAC was actually on the pump gas tune. I had switched over after adding some pump gas during the CEL issue and forgotten to switch back after I filled up with race gas. I don't know how much the race gas tune would have added.

So what have I determined in the Cobb vs GIAC battle? A whole lot of nothing IMO.

Cobb ran faster, yes. But honestly I was expecting it to run at least 4-5mph faster if the incredible torque/HP dyno numbers are to be believed. Especially against what turned out to be the GIAC pump gas tune.

However, I do have Vbox data for all my runs. I will review that later this week and post an update. There may be more conclusive data in there than just the 1 mile trap speed can provide.

I still do like the AP feature of ECU clearing and custom logging and tunes without having to go into a shop.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:07 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
However, after installing the AP I realized that my earlier 188.7 on GIAC was actually on the pump gas tune. I had switched over after adding some pump gas during the CEL issue and forgotten to switch back after I filled up with race gas. I don't know how much the race gas tune would have added.
Ahh...damn. That's a bummer. The race gas tune would have definitely helped, especially a little bit in the top end where the pump tune is a bit more conservative.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:13 AM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !

I still do like the AP feature of ECU clearing and custom logging and tunes without having to go into a shop.
This. If both are the same result I would think price and ease of use make it a winner.

Thanks for doing this.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:17 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Just FYI, stage III was tuned with the full package. Some say that those components do not work or even lose power. But the map you ran was dialed in for them and the By Design Intercoolers.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:30 AM
White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Just FYI, stage III was tuned with the full package. Some say that those components do not work or even lose power. But the map you ran was dialed in for them and the By Design Intercoolers.
What he said ^. Ask me how i know!

Old 10-26-2015, 08:39 AM
jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !
However, I do have Vbox data for all my runs. I will review that later this week and post an update. There may be more conclusive data in there than just the 1 mile trap speed can provide.

Could you overlay the VBOX data between runs? I know it's like comparing apples to oranges but recently I ran my car at ATCO with 100 octane tune and 93 octane tune and ran nearly the exact same time and ET. Weird, I know, and I even posted that I couldn't explain why my times were so similar.

And I agree having the AP saves so much time and hassle not having to go to the dealer for every little thing. Think about it, your entire event was saved by the AP!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GIAC vs Cobb - same car same day