GIAC vs Cobb - same car same day

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 08:30 AM
webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
haha you make me laugh man. Obviously you didn't read any of the original comments in the thread.

We know you love your Cobb software, and you have every right to. They make a great product, there's no denying that. But the GIAC and Cobb software have different characteristics that make them different. The OP has had both, and he prefers GIAC. Some people love GIAC, some people love Cobb....I'm not sure why you don't want to accept that LOL.
Lol oh I accept the fact that some people love giac and other love cobb, but I just don't like people when post thing without knowing the product (any product) I respect the OP from what his doing, I can accept any opinion that he gave because he have true facts that can suppourt it... That's what I have been doing for a long time now (in all my cars).
For example, I try GIAC on my first Porsche knowing COBB will begin working Porsche soon, but I just want to try it for my self and honestly GIAC didn't get my expectations, that doesn't mean is a bad product, it just that COBB is a more complete product... IMHO

Old 12-04-2015, 08:58 AM
BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !
Between the two, there is probably not much difference in the end; I'm sure they both do a great job.

My preference was Cobb so I would not be tied to a dealer who has to flash for me. I don't like having my hands tied that way, and there are only 1-2 dealers here who do flash GIACC tunes.

I simply chose Cobb so I could flash the ECU myself, which I do when I go in for service, or upgrade to a newer version, which I just did a few weeks ago. It's huge time saver and all cars I modify are done that way, with a handheld flash tuner that I own.

If GIAC had a handheld to flash the ECU at the time when I purchased the Cobb, it certainly would have been a consideration for me.

I don't understand why you're being so vocal against GIAC...they are a reputable company who has done a great job in tuning these cars.

You post negatively against GIAC in several threads - getting their back up...

Old 12-04-2015, 09:40 AM
webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BLOWN SRT

I don't understand why you're being so vocal against GIAC...they are a reputable company who has done a great job in tuning these cars.

You post negatively against GIAC in several threads - getting their back up...
Is not my intention to look that way... when I read something between them (cobb vs giac) that is wrong because of the lack of knowledge I just answer the way I believe is the right way to clarify the error, maybe I'm using the wrong words but my intention is not trash any product for any means... For example I try the fabspeed catless vs the catted one in my 997.2 TT and after we tune it didn't gain me any whp, I will never trash that product, but I will share my experience with the product... Oh and I'm not the only one that post negative results of products in the forum

Old 12-04-2015, 09:43 AM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
I knew the revival of this thread was going to be good.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:44 PM
Masks14 is just really niceMasks14 is just really niceMasks14 is just really niceMasks14 is just really niceMasks14 is just really nice

Other than the Cobb Stage 1 tune this is an otherwise stock 991 turbo (non S) with about 9,000 miles on it, running 93 octane Shell gasoline on a Mustang Dyno. The only real disclaimer is that it was cold in the dyno booth, about 48 degrees. The numbers are HUGE, 518 HP and and 666 ft pounds of torque. I am in GA around 1,000 feet above sea level. The dashed lines are the stock run the solid lines are the tuned run.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:24 PM
Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Masks14

Other than the Cobb Stage 1 tune this is an otherwise stock 991 turbo (non S) with about 9,000 miles on it, running 93 octane Shell gasoline on a Mustang Dyno. The only real disclaimer is that it was cold in the dyno booth, about 48 degrees. The numbers are HUGE, 518 HP and and 666 ft pounds of torque. I am in GA around 1,000 feet above sea level. The dashed lines are the stock run the solid lines are the tuned run.
Dyno numbers are cool to look at and bench race with, but actual results are the only thing that matters. What kind of speeds do you have from 1/2 mile events or et's from 1/4 tracks

Old 01-14-2016, 08:34 PM
Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the newest version of the 2+ tune. Power will be right up there, if not higher then your current Cobb tune, and you'll have that GIAC drivability that you are looking for.
I second that

Old 01-15-2016, 01:56 PM
E-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond repute
Both companies are fine and great at what they do.

I am a Lambo guy (thus the E-Gear forum name)...I've been watching the P-car forum section for years from the sidelines; it kills me how some of these the vendor flag waiving marterializes after you really look deeper at things.

There are vendor cronies out there who support their alliances to the bitter end. One guy will tell you that GIAC is the best thing since fried bacon and the other will tell that Cobb is the best thing since sliced bread or vice versa.

Bottom line: both are good companies, both are doing great things for the community. However, I am noticing a few things here and there...and it seems to matter based on model year. To me, it currently seems that no one can't touch Cobb or GIAC in the 991 tuning platform. In the 997.1 and even the 997.2 platform, the tuning competition is broader and it seems that Protomotive and EVOMS carry the torch. Many have OTS tunes, but those are mainly cookie cutter tunes.

Regardless, great things are being produced for all platforms and I am glad I joined the P-car club since early Q2 2015. P-cars are much user and mod friendly compared to the Lambo and it does not cost a small fortune to mod and fix all being equal.

Thanks,
E-Gear