991 comfort question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 02:09 PM
hakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the rough
991 comfort question

Ok so I've read that the 991 is more comfortable than the 997 several times here and elsewhere. But I want to know if it would be comfortable enough for someone like me who was rear ended in a car accident 3 years ago and had 2 level fusion (c4/c5 c5/c6 and need c3/c4 done in the future) neck surgery and suffer from neuropathic pain in my shoulders and even though I take medication (lyrica, soma, and opana) for it I find that driving over 45 minutes to an hour a is a bit tiring on my body and makes my shoulder pain worse.

I really would love to get into a 911, but maybe its not for me. I'm afraid that if I go to a dealer I won't be able to say no. (I'm a very impulsive buyer.) Maybe I'm better off going with the new M5 or a luxury car, but the 911 is still my dream car and I am in a position to buy one so I'd like some thoughts about the comfort level. I probably do have to go to a dealer and try it for myself. I should take the girlfriend along because she's much better at making me say no when it comes down to buying expensive things.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited by hakaida; 04-29-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:02 PM
gleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to behold
Only you can answer the question. The fact that the 991 is more comfortable is a relative thing. Sure, it seems more comfortable than my 997.2, but it's not like a BMW or other sport sedan/full on GT car. If I were you, I'd try a Panamera or a Maserati GTS or Jaguar XKR.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:21 PM
Cappy1 is on a distinguished road
It is impossible to answer your specific question, but my wife was involved in a serious accident and has had back problems for years. Last spring we took my 997.2 on a road trip along Route 66…about 6,000 miles by the time we got back home. She indicated that the 14 way seats gave her the most comfort of any car we have ever owned, even better than her CL550. She is “all in” and looking forward to our 991 Euro delivery this Sept which will be even more comfortable.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:02 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
I think that you are going to find the seat too low to get in and out of. Also, while the 14 way seats are comfortable and have a lot support, adjustability and flexibility, the only war to know is to get a big cup of coffee and go sit in one for a couple of answers.

I would look at a Caddy CTSV coupe - very comfortable, very fast.

Very best of luck!

Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
If it's your dream car and you can afford it, you need to try hard to make it happen.

The seats in the 991 are very good, but it's still a sports car and the ride isn't going to be comfy on bad roads. I suggest that you consider the roads you'll be mostly driving on, and then do at least a couple of longer test drives on roads in the rougher half of that spectrum. That will help you judge not only the comfort of the car, but also whether the reality of the car is on par with what you've dreamed.

I've been drawn to Porsches since I played with hot wheels as a kid and read the car mags as a teenager, and when I finally got a 911 it exceeded what I had dreamed of.

galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
The 991 is a big step forward from the 997 in terms of comfort, but this is not a GT cruiser. The ride is comfortable but very firm and getting in and out of the car is not that simple.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:57 PM
hakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the responses. I didn't think about getting in and out. I'll just have to go to the dealer and check it out. I'll order one if I think it will be comfortable enough for the driving that I will be doing. I've always wanted a 911 since my uncle drove me around in his 911 during the 70s.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:14 PM
iambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud of
The main key for me is tyres pressure, my car has TPM and I set the tyres in comfort mode, rear tyres pressure is 34psi against 39psi. However, Porsche said that the maximum speed for comfort mode is 270 km/hr which I don't think I will ever reach that speed on the road. I can always add pressure when I want to track a car.

It is really make a big different above the pot holes.