PSE too loud? (recent ticket and some thoughts)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 08:58 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
PSE too loud? (recent ticket and some thoughts)

If you read pages 9 and 10 of the following thread, https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...y-nj-ct-9.html you will see I recently recieved a "careless driving" ticket in my 991 with PSE. I was exiting the GWB north to the Palisades and the cop heard me down shift and equated this to driving carelessly and aggressively. Accused me of doing a burnout while moving . No way he saw me as he had another car pulled over approx 200-300 yards on the right in a turn off area.

Clearly the noise of the car got his attention which led to this ticket. Needless to say the conversation did not go well. Cop told me if I don't shut up he was giving me a ticket for loud exhaust. I replied its factory. He said doen't matter its too loud.

Thoughts:

1) Young guy (like me) driving 991 maybe should keep exhaust quiet.
2) Does the exhaust meet all states noise laws?
3) Was it just the car and noise didnt matter?
4) Other.....

Already hired lawyer...... update to follow. Thoughts. Thx.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:24 AM
Buddilly is on a distinguished road
I have PSE and it is not loud!! Probably a jealous cop trying to meet a quota for tickets.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:41 AM
jkonva is on a distinguished road
Ridiculous. It's loud, but not THAT loud. Hire a good attorney and let us know how it works out.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:59 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
My exhaust is louder than the PSE. I've had several cops tail gate me, check my plates, probably because I look way too young to drive a Porsche, and left. Ridiculous ticket is ridiculous.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:05 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Wow, this is ludicrous!!!
The PSE is indeed no that loud (I am personally looking for a 'switchable' straight pipes option). I have nevertheless already had a bunch of bad looks -and even a guy being extremely aggressive and trying to open the door of my car to complain- because of the PSE. Non-technically savvy people are misled by the sound of a sport exhaust and simply think you are going too fast or are driving recklessly.
There is no cure for stupidity or ignorance, so I simply do not care about such comments.
I wish the OP could do the same with the ticket, but that's unfortunately not the case. Keep us posted!

Old 04-16-2013, 10:12 AM
Team Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the rough
Insane! Fight that ticket... the PSE isn't loud at all. My Eisenmann Race with a cat-less Dinan x-pipe on my M3 was loud and even with that set-up I never received a ticket.

Your ticket is total BS.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:50 AM
Vegasguy will become famous soon enough
Be careful. While you may have attracted the cop's attention with the PSE, keep in mind that you were given a ticket for Careless Driving. Actually, you would have been much better off if you were ticketed for a loud exhaust. Whether or not the PSE is too loud, in this specific situation is not relevant, you should stay focused on the fact that Careless Driving, like Reckless Driving, is a serious moving violation. Hopefully, you're attorney will prevent you from being convicted, or you will have moving violation points, increased insurance premiums, etc, etc.
Good luck, and keep us posted.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:58 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Vegasguy
Be careful. While you may have attracted the cop's attention with the PSE, keep in mind that you were given a ticket for Careless Driving. Actually, you would have been much better off if you were ticketed for a loud exhaust. Whether or not the PSE is too loud, in this specific situation is not relevant, you should stay focused on the fact that Careless Driving, like Reckless Driving, is a serious moving violation. Hopefully, you're attorney will prevent you from being convicted, or you will have moving violation points, increased insurance premiums, etc, etc.
Totally agree and understand. It's "only" 2 points (less than improper turn here in NJ which is 3) but the exhaust certainly attracted the cops attention and I don't want a careless driving on my record if I can avoid. The exhaust ticket would have been in addition to the CD ticket which he already wrote. This exhaust ticket conversation was part of the "exit interview" and clearly on his mind.......

Old 04-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Vegasguy

Careless driving and reckless driving are two very different citations. Reckless is intentionally driving in a manner that can cause serious harm - careless driving is a "catch-all"when the cop doesn't like something you did. Sometimes if they catch you speeding 25 mph over and they don't have a bug up their butts, they'll give you careless driving citation rather than the 4 point speeding ticket. Did the cop have a decibel meter with him to prove that you were too loud - of course not. Ridiculous ticket. As I've posted before, the cops on the P. Pkwy are nasty. I had a run in with one at about the same place as you. I thought he was gonna shoot me when I gave him my NY PBA card. Ripped it up and threw it in my face. Why? becuase he caught me at 10 mph over the speed limit in my Turbo.

Last edited by Alan; 04-16-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:44 PM
///armin is a jewel in the rough///armin is a jewel in the rough///armin is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Alan

careless driving is a "catch-all"when the cop doesn't like something you did. Sometimes if they catch you speeding 25 mph over and they don't have a bug up their butts, they'll give you careless driving citation rather than the 4 point speeding ticket.
That's exactly right, it's a ticket that has no basis, get a lawyer and 100% it will be reduced before even going in front of a judge.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:45 PM
advantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to behold
thats total BS, PSE not loud at all, my FVD is easily 10db louder in sport mode Fight it!

Old 04-16-2013, 12:59 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Find a Db Meter and check it exactly the way the DMV says it should be measured. A Porsche dealership might have the tools. Have a print out from the check-out and have that with you in the car and use it to fight the ticket.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
Don't know about the US but here in Canada I have an insurance policy that for $80 per year will provide a lawyer to go to court with you. They won't go to court on impaired/dui but will provide advice on that.

John in Vancouver

Old 04-16-2013, 02:26 PM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
It is loud. I had my 991 C2S tested at a local track with a sound restriction. Measured at 50 feet, it was 94.8dB with the PSE on and 95dB with it off. Unfortunately, beyond the track limit of 94dB.

As a point of reference, a 997 C2S with standard exhaust was 89dB. (the 991 with PSE is over twice as loud!!) A 991 C2S with standard exhaust also passed.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:34 PM
Team Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Dr. Bill
It is loud. I had my 991 C2S tested at a local track with a sound restriction. Measured at 50 feet, it was 94.8dB with the PSE on and 95dB with it off. Unfortunately, beyond the track limit of 94dB.

As a point of reference, a 997 C2S with standard exhaust was 89dB. (the 991 with PSE is over twice as loud!!) A 991 C2S with standard exhaust also passed.
Well, I guess loud is all relative. If PSE is considered loud, what is a harley exhaust?

So you couldn't track because your stock 911 exhaust was 1dB over the limit? That's borderline retarded.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PSE too loud? (recent ticket and some thoughts)